The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A really strange issue with my studio monitors
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

My guess is it's a crack in a board or a bad solder.

My second computer monitor will reboot sometimes when I switch my glasses and set the other pair down on the desk. I can jump around like a madman and bang on the desk for hours and nothing will happen, but just putting the glasses down reboots the monitor. I've never been able to figure that one out. Been happening for years.

Hope you solve your mystery. Mine I can live with, yours I couldn't.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=Strangechild;14106976]My guess is it's a crack in a board or a bad solder.

My second computer monitor will reboot sometimes when I switch my glasses and set the other pair down on the desk. I can jump around like a madman and bang on the desk for hours and nothing will happen, but just putting the glasses down reboots the monitor. I've never been able to figure that one out. Been happening for years.

That’s wild. Monitor senses you’re not looking at it so it reboots. Ha.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxne View Post
I am getting the headphone adapter today to do the test from the headphone outlet on my interface to monitor.

Also, the trs to xlr cables which I linked to earlier in this topic were the best I could find on amazon and not cheap
Sorry, I’m not familiar with that brand of cable. A cable tester is another item you’ll eventually acquire if you continue to work with audio. Cables may be good, can’t tell from here.
I feel your pain alxne and apologize for the humor at your expense. Once you figure out which component of your chain is faulty then you can begin to make it better. The fact that the pop doesn’t always happen would indicate an intermittent connection somewhere. Maybe it happens every time you shift your speakers (is that occurring when shifting either speaker or just one of them). Five days went by and they didn’t pop then started popping frequently; this would suggest some environmental factor or again an intermittent connection. Bad connection may not be in your audio chain but coming from another faulty device that is plugged into the same circuit.
Good luck! and keep plugging away.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm testing it on my headphone output on my interface, into the monitor now using the headphone input. It's been ok so far, if it doesn't pop, what does this suggest?
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted c0657d7
Quote:
I'm testing it on my headphone output on my interface, into the monitor now using the headphone input. It's been ok so far, if it doesn't pop, what does this suggest?
That would imply that it is not the monitors.
But, it may be early yet to draw a definite conclusion.

Try switching now between the headphone outs and the regular outputs to narrow down the issue to the regular outputs.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodba View Post
That would imply that it is not the monitors.
But, it may be early yet to draw a definite conclusion.

Try switching now between the headphone outs and the regular outputs to narrow down the issue to the regular outputs.

Shouldn't I wait to see if it happens first? Been a good few hours now, and tilting it is having no effect
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I am not sure I understand what you are doing...

Did you get those adapter wires and are now running from the headphone jack of the interface and into the speakers now?

Or are you just listening to headphones?

If you have the adapter wires, you might be able to use them to also play from the headphone jack of your phone or iPod into the speakers. If they pop then, it has to be the speakers, because you have changed the source and the cables. Troubleshooting is all about systematically eliminating variables. It's harder to be systematic when the problem is intermittent, but really most of that extra difficulty is just the time it takes to "wait" for the issue to reoccur.

Since your problem is intermittent, you will have to give it a while to make sure that a "no pop" result is not just a coincidence.

Borrowing a different pair of speakers would be the gold standard test.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I am not sure I understand what you are doing...

Did you get those adapter wires and are now running from the headphone jack of the interface and into the speakers now?

Or are you just listening to headphones?

If you have the adapter wires, you might be able to use them to also play from the headphone jack of your phone or iPod into the speakers. If they pop then, it has to be the speakers, because you have changed the source and the cables. Troubleshooting is all about systematically eliminating variables. It's harder to be systematic when the problem is intermittent, but really most of that extra difficulty is just the time it takes to "wait" for the issue to reoccur.

Since your problem is intermittent, you will have to give it a while to make sure that a "no pop" result is not just a coincidence.

Borrowing a different pair of speakers would be the gold standard test.
I'm using a 3.5 to 3.5 headphone cable, I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I put that one on end and plugged into the front of my interface, in the headphone bit. With the 3.5m end going into the other monitor input (previously I had been using trs in the back of my interface into the xlr input on monitor)
I think I'm doing what was being suggested?
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted c0657d7
Quote:
I'm using a 3.5 to 3.5 headphone cable, I bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I put that one on end and plugged into the front of my interface, in the headphone bit. With the 3.5m end going into the other monitor input (previously I had been using trs in the back of my interface into the xlr input on monitor)
You should not change more than ONE variable (headphone outs PLUS monitor input) at a time, when trying to narrow things down.
Now you won't know if the issue was not occuring at the XLR inputs of the monitors.

Although I sense that you are trying your best, but like Joeq said; you can/should be more systematic.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

So what do I do need, if you can't tell I need clear instructions. What exact cable do I need and what input output do I need to use

All I have is a trs to xlr which I'd been using, and a 3.5m to 3.5m, for which I bought the adapter today for this headphone output to monitor test.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Using the original trs to xlr cable now, gone trs into headphone output on interface, to xlr on monitor. Previously I'd used trs output on back of interface to xlr monitor
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
OK a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodba View Post
You should not change more than ONE variable (headphone outs PLUS monitor input) at a time, when trying to narrow things down.
Now you won't know if the issue was not occuring at the XLR inputs of the monitors.
If alxne get this adapter, Stereo XLR Breakout
it could be used to drive the speakers from a phone or iPod. If they pop then, this would completely eliminate anything having to do with the interface. New source, new cables.

This also gets you real stereo, whereas with the current adapter setup, you are trying to send a stereo output to one speaker.

In my experience, this is a damn handy adapter to have around anyway! And with the 1/4" adapter it can go into "big" headphone jacks as well. Such as the one in the interface.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
OK a step in the right direction.

If alxne get this adapter, Stereo XLR Breakout
it could be used to drive the speakers from a phone or iPod. If they pop then, this would completely eliminate anything having to do with the interface. New source, new cables.

This also gets you real stereo, whereas with the current adapter setup, you are trying to send a stereo output to one speaker.

In my experience, this is a damn handy adapter to have around anyway! And with the 1/4" adapter it can go into "big" headphone jacks as well. Such as the one in the interface.
Ok thanks I'll get one of those for tomorrow hopefully
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted c0657d7
Quote:
Using the original trs to xlr cable now, gone trs into headphone output on interface, to xlr on monitor. Previously I'd used trs output on back of interface.
So now the only variable that has changed is from the interface (regular) outputs to the intefface headphone out, right?

Verify if you get the monitor to play sounds from this headphone out.
Be careful opening the headphone volume and it may not sound as good as you're acustomed to.

Now you can take some time and the usual testing/experimenting to see if the popping appears.
If the popping stays away, switch back to the old situation and hopefully? the issue will then re-appear, in which case you'll know that the problem is not the speakers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I bought a new completely different interface a few weeks ago and for the last few weeks its not happened, I assumed it was fixed and the fault was the previous interface but today its started to happen again. Needless to say I'm gutted :(
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I bought a new completely different interface a few weeks ago and for the last few weeks its not happened, I assumed it was fixed and the fault was the previous interface but today its started to happen again. Needless to say I'm gutted :(
I forget now, weren't you originally going to send back the speakers? Are these the same speakers as before? What model?

Last edited by joeq; 1 week ago at 07:31 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I forget now, weren't originally going to send back the speakers? Are these the same speakers as before? What model?
I was but I like them (the sound) and was hoping the issue was elsewhere so I returned the interface and bought a different brand completely, its looking more and more likely the speakers though as I've still got them. Dynaudio lyd-5
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mystery electrical problems can be a real nightmare sometimes in the studio. Is your carpet the type that generates static or not?

Do you have a friend who has a different brand of interface you can borrow and connect using your existing TRS-XLR cables with and just try that for a day?

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Scarlet issue. My previous audio interface was an Emu1820m and I had some issues with its RCA spdif out to Lavry DA11. Everytime I switched my master keyboard on it sent a little electrical jolt to the DA muting the sound briefly and making its lights dim. Worried it was causing harm to its components I switched to spdif optical and it was fine after that.

Now I'm using an RME UFX and its AES digital out to the Lavry, which is galvanically isolated, absolutely no problems with that setup now.

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of it, good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Do you have a friend who has a different brand of interface you can borrow and connect using your existing TRS-XLR cables with and just try that for a day?
Its not the scarlett. I have a non focusrite interface now since two weeks ago, was fine and no pops for for two weeks until today

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search