The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Finally the best Rhodes sound I´ve ever heard
Old 4th July 2019
Here for the gear

Finally the best Rhodes sound I´ve ever heard

Hi,

I could say that I am a very Rhodes fan and I have been listening for years a lot of bands where the Rhodes is the main sonic element (Incognito, Electrodelux, etc).

I have a real Rhodes Mark 1 (1979), Nord Electro 5HP, Scarbee EP-88, Yamaha Motif XF, Roland Fantom G with the Rhodes expansion...

But best Rhodes sound that I heard by far is (1:54):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkhol2Q1og

Does someone know how you can get a Rhodes sound like that?
I know they used a Rhodes Suitcase but I can´t make my real Rhodes sound like this.

I find incredible that Daft Punk recorded for first time an album with a real Rhodes and could get that amazing sound.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi79 View Post

I find incredible that Daft Punk recorded for first time an album with a real Rhodes and could get that amazing sound.
they're extremely talented, they chose talented people to make that record and invested a lot of time and money into it..
in top studios with top analog consoles, tape machine, the best players and the best rooms..
there you have it.

for a sweet sounding rhodes you need to have a rhodes in perfect conditions, then a great amp or a great sounding DI with the proper impedance, after that is a matter of choices/taste/vision (amps/mics choice) and the hands of the player..

maybe there's somebody having more insight to what they used and who played the rhodes.. that might help you to come closer to that sound.

Cheu
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi79 View Post
lol! they are not really newbies and surround themselves with very capable people...

plus i'm not getting what should be so special about their rhodes sound; of course it sounds good! but don't you think this has been achieved before? maybe worth checking out jan hammer with mahavishnu orchestra, joe zawinul with weather report, some recordings of herbie hancock, almost any lp from gentle giant or...

...way too many examples to mention - just dig a bit deeper!

p.s. a good preamp is a good start for any (real) rhodes or wurlitzer if not going into a combo.
Old 4th July 2019
The Rhodes is the electric guitar of keyboards (close second to the clavinet). As such it can provide the same variety of sounds any electric guitar can. I've heard Rhodes from angelic bells from heaven to a grindy Wurly type sound and everything in-between.

How do you want your Rhodes to sound today?
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

I hear echoes (pun not intended) of Pink Floyd‘s „Sheep“ in that tone.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut

Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

You might also enjoy this Rhodes...

https://youtu.be/89OTZV-NHkU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/89OTZV-NHkU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
You might also enjoy this Rhodes...

https://youtu.be/89OTZV-NHkU

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/89OTZV-NHkU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also thought of the same Jeff Beck album but “Freeway Jam” was the song that popped into my head.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

My two cents...

The Al Jarreau album was a Jay Graydon production with Jeremy Lubbock (the noted string arranger) playing Rhodes on that track. It was VERY likely an Eddy Reynolds modded Rhodes, so Keyscape covers that sound quite effectively.
The Jeff Beck album featured Max Middleton. Max was, as I've been told, a very controlled player (akin to Victor Feldman on many Steely Dan tracks). It sounds like a carefully adjusted stock Rhodes eq'd more heavily than you might be able to do with a heavier-handed player. It reminds me of my Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes before you lean into the EQ heavily.
To the OP: the track you linked sounds to me perhaps like an early production Rhodes with the felt hammers, rather than the neoprene hammers adopted shortly after. It's a softer, "mushier" sound and is often associated with Herbie Hancock. It's lack of bite was initially regarded as a shortcoming but is now thought of as a unique color, which might explain why you're having difficulty reproducing it with your Rhodes.

As always, YMMV.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
My two cents...

The Al Jarreau album was a Jay Graydon production with Jeremy Lubbock (the noted string arranger) playing Rhodes on that track. It was VERY likely an Eddy Reynolds modded Rhodes, so Keyscape covers that sound quite effectively.
The Jeff Beck album featured Max Middleton. Max was, as I've been told, a very controlled player (akin to Victor Feldman on many Steely Dan tracks). It sounds like a carefully adjusted stock Rhodes eq'd more heavily than you might be able to do with a heavier-handed player. It reminds me of my Dyno-My-Piano Rhodes before you lean into the EQ heavily.
To the OP: the track you linked sounds to me perhaps like an early production Rhodes with the felt hammers, rather than the neoprene hammers adopted shortly after. It's a softer, "mushier" sound and is often associated with Herbie Hancock. It's lack of bite was initially regarded as a shortcoming but is now thought of as a unique color, which might explain why you're having difficulty reproducing it with your Rhodes.

As always, YMMV.
Hmmm very solid info Carl!
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yah dig a lot deeper... because if that is the best Rhodes sound you’ve ever heard then I feel sad for you
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

Classic GS. Someone asks for help getting a sound and the majority of comments are just judgments about the OP liking the sound in the first place.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Nut

Give Max a call:

http://chicagoelectricpiano.com/

-bryan
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

I have always liked this. But had not listened to it in a while. Now I hear how much the tempo of the tremlo is off.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
Classic GS. Someone asks for help getting a sound and the majority of comments are just judgments about the OP liking the sound in the first place.
That's just age. In person things are presented more diplicatically. Once you get old, and on line, you just say what you think.

Old people know have been around long enough to know what young people don't. No shame in this. Better to be blunt.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 5th July 2019 at 06:52 AM..
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
To be fair, it's a pretty uninspiring flat sound by" Rhodes great" standards - not even a scanner or leslie in sight (or sound!) to add some mojo. I don't hear the warmth or fat saturation normally associated with a great Rhodes sound.

Don't get me wrong - I really like Daft Punk, they are a talented bunch - maybe the listener here has great young ears picking out gold and mojo I just can't hear anymore - but it sounds to me like your usual "get started" Rhodes preset - nothing to write home about - now that 'Floyd track on the other hand - pure butter! On the edge of break up - lovely.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nah, you just read the last comment and assumed everyone beforehand behaved the same way. I saw lots of helpful advice about DIs and amps and different models. That is classic GS.

My favourite Rhodes (assuming it is a Rhodes) is on No Quarter by Led Zeppelin. Probably with a phaser on low rate.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Nut

Pretty sounding record but very lopsided.

A perfect reflection of modern society. Pretty but lacking substance. It goes hand in hand with "social" media.

A missed chance of making something substantial and unforgettable. That Rhodes is nice though.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Pretty sounding record but very lopsided.

A perfect reflection of modern society. Pretty but lacking substance. It goes hand in hand with "social" media.

A missed chance of making something substantial and unforgettable. That Rhodes is nice though.
with a song called "give life back to music" opening the album, scouting the best players for that kind of style (70ies disco), letting them jam in top recording studios for hours, trying to get the best of their performance...
I do believe this shows their engagement and commitment..
So I don't really think lacks substance..but that's my opinion..

Also investing a huge chunk of their own cash into it, showed that they believed into their craft.

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
a great sounding DI with the proper impedance,
This!

In my experience this is key to getting a great Rhodes sound.

The best sound i ever got (and my Rhodes daily driver) is / was using an API 505-DI Direct Input.

http://apiaudio.com/product.php?id=102

That, paired with a well tuned and maintained Rhodes, is pure gold........And don't forget it'll also need some EQing, especially if you want a bright, tine-y sound.

Plug a Rhodes into the wrong bit of gear, and it can sound completely flat and lifeless.........i'm not talking about a subtle difference like comparing this pre to that pre, it'll just sound totally $hit and you'll want to throw your Rhodes out the window!
Old 1 week ago
Dag
Here for the gear

Thought it was ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgitter View Post
Greg Mathieson who was playing on Jarreau album.

DagL
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been around Rhodes pianos since around 1965 or so and have encountered every stock and hotrodded rhodes known to man.

The op sound can pretty much be easily done with lounge lizard. The auto pan...do with either LL suitcase setting...or on your own in the daw.

Hey....the chords are to "Get Lucky"....was that part of the trip for that tune? I don't listen to those guys obviously.

At any rate....the sound is super easy to do.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I've been around Rhodes pianos since around 1965 or so and have encountered every stock and hotrodded rhodes known to man.

The op sound can pretty much be easily done with lounge lizard. The auto pan...do with either LL suitcase setting...or on your own in the daw.

Hey....the chords are to "Get Lucky"....was that part of the trip for that tune? I don't listen to those guys obviously.

At any rate....the sound is super easy to do.
I read this thread a few months back and was going to suggest Lounge Lizard v4 but thought that with all the talk of real Rhodes and Combo amp setups, fancy preamp /DI units etc. I imagined it wouldn't be relevant. I agree with you completely.

I love that plug!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I've always felt the best Rhodes is a Wurlie...

Making do with AIR Velvet 2. It's pretty good. Or as good as I need it to be anyways.

T
Old 5 days ago
Some nice sounds in the thread. For me, Joe Sample has always been the bar to try and reach for in terms of Rhodes sound. But really a great Rhodes comes from the setup (and player of course). Mine is set so I have to hit it a little harder than I want to get the growl but otherwise it doesn't have that spongy feel that so many old ones get. Proper maintenance is a must. As far as gear I think the Tab Funkenwerk DI is tailor made to go with Rhodes, super juicy. I also like to run it through a boost pedal sometimes and a stereo trem, an old fender Princeton, etc.

Some Joe Sample for ya...
music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBk0n2UST7M
words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0piUsQf-Oms

I liked this Rhodes sound I got on this track, about 2:52 you get the Rhodes by itself...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Record it in stereo.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

where's the Behringer Cavinet. that's what I want to know
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Another beauty:
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Larry Williams on both Rhodes and synth. I'd suspect an Eddy Reynolds-modded Rhodes but it could be Dyno-My. Chuck was living in LA for a while and got a little more market penetration.
Wonderful playing. Fine choice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search