The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tips for Geddy Lee style bass mixing
Old 24th June 2019
Gear Addict

Tips for Geddy Lee style bass mixing

So I'm mixing a rock trio with some Rush-like tendencies. Usually 2 rhythm guitar tracks and a bass track, busy drums and lead voals, backing vocals and lead guitar.. Bass tracked direct and through a SansAmp Bass driver with some dirt. The bassist is up and down the neck, definitely likes to use the fretboard. Trying to keep the bass poking through the mix clearly without having to drop levels much any of the other instruments. The usual Kick drum bass guitar dilemmas but also add some competition with guitar and vocal ranges.I've tried a couple tricks I've heard of like hi passing one track and low passing the other. More compression, less compression. Still could use a few directions to try.
Old 25th June 2019
Quote:
've tried a couple tricks I've heard of like hi passing one track and low passing the other. More compression, less compression. Still could use a few directions to try.
Without hearing it, no one can give you accurate directions. We have no clue to what your bass sounds like in the mix. Did you use a Fender Jazz? That is where i would start if i wanted a Geddy Lee bass sound
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Without hearing it, no one can give you accurate directions.
But that won't stop them.

As far as amps go, would you recommend the rotisserie oven or the Maytag dryer? Whichever it is, their stage backline always has a wall of them, but in the studio I'm sure you could get away with just one.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Driven compressions, possibly in parallel might work.

Unless you got the rotisserie oven, Brent mentioned.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Addict

Bah dum dum crshshshsh.... Don't quit your day jobs
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish View Post
So I'm mixing a rock trio with some Rush-like tendencies. Usually 2 rhythm guitar tracks and a bass track, busy drums and lead voals, backing vocals and lead guitar.. Bass tracked direct and through a SansAmp Bass driver with some dirt. The bassist is up and down the neck, definitely likes to use the fretboard. Trying to keep the bass poking through the mix clearly without having to drop levels much any of the other instruments. The usual Kick drum bass guitar dilemmas but also add some competition with guitar and vocal ranges.I've tried a couple tricks I've heard of like hi passing one track and low passing the other. More compression, less compression. Still could use a few directions to try.
Geddy Lee is very consistent in terms of attack, volume, etc. when he plays. He also digs in with his nails to accentuate the infamous Fender Jazz growl. The man is a master over the instrument. Your bass player needs to start there. Rush, as busy as their music may seem, leave openings for each other. So the next step for the band to compose their songs accordingly.
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Bah dum dum crshshshsh.... Don't quit your day jobs
I realize that there hasn't been much "try this, try that" in these responses. But just going from a general description -- you can't post clips, obviously -- anything anyone suggests will be entirely theoretical.

The only thing practical that I might suggest -- it's more of an ask -- is that, since the band is accustomed to playing live as a three-piece but tracked the record as a five-piece, presumably to make it "sound more like a record," what happens if you take it back to a three-piece as much as possible?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Try Trackspacer VST to auto carve the guitars at the current frequency of the bass?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

A lot of how Geddy's bass is treated within the mix has a whole lot to do with the other members of the band! (And vice-versa.)

Those guys just seem to naturally have some sort of instinctive propensity for avoiding making noise in the same frequency range as the other members.

This means that in the mix, you don't have to use a whole lotta EQ to "carve out space" for all the different tracks.

...And they also do pretty much the same thing when it comes to the dynamic relationships between their parts, and so (likewise) they don't end up having to use a whole bunch of dynamic processing in order to correct these relationships.

The end result of all of this is that the time, effort, and energy that might otherwise be spent to "keep stuff from sounding like crap" might instead be used to "make stuff sound good"!

(By the way, this same proclivity is also present within most (good) reggae bands.)

This ability changes just about EVERYTHING about the way one might approach a mix!

The ability to do this really starts before anybody even loads any of their gear into the studio! (...Well unless you have more money than K Foundation.)

I know that what I have written here is NOT what a lotta folks wanna read (but the truth really doesn't give a damn whether you believe it or not).
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Maytag or rotisserie. Flip a coin.

Ged's tone kinda varied from the Rick days (up until Signals which still featured a lot of Jazz tunes), the Steinberger travesty tone of P/G (one of my favorite albums tho), to the Wal tones up thru RTB, then back to Fender exclusively from Counterparts onward.

Try bumping 800hz for mid grind and 2500hz for a little attack, overdrive to taste, Maytag blah blah blah.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Addict

I suppose not hearing the tracks it's difficult to judge and ghive direct advice. Maybe my post lacked in some clarity. It's not a goal to make a Geddy bass track. I'm working with existing bass tracks that are busier and reach into the tenor area more than y9our typical bass lines. In a similar vein to Geddy or Squire however that's not the goal to sound like him. Appreciate the tips. Mainly trying to carve out space for the bass without taking the meat away from guitars and drums.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mainly trying to carve out space for the bass without taking the meat away from guitars and drums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Try bumping 800hz for mid grind and 2500hz for a little attack
FWIW........those kinds of moves, especially the boost in the 700-900 range help me get my old Gibson EB3 playing nicely with the guitars with my own stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search