The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)

Ok so i have a wa87 > wa73 > wa2a > Audient id22 > Adobe audition.

I will be doing a podcast, no singing, no instruments.

Everything worked great before, now all of a sudden the audio no longer sounds smooth as it did before. I dont know what's changed.

I played with the settings, changed the cables and i still seem to be getting distortion. whats worse, is that the distortion comes on parts where im not even yelling or relatively loud. i'll attach samples.

i noticed it only seems to happen when i raise the levels so that im hitting about -16 LUF's. if i keep the volume low, it sounds ok, but of course, the volume is really low.

Ok so i recorded a quick little snippet so that you can hear whats going on.
1. issue raw audio2 is just the raw audio, no LUF's normalizing (sounds pretty good when i raise my headphone volume)

2. issue audio lufs is the audio raised to about -16 lufs (sounds horrible)

i did do just a little bit of deessing, and some slight breath and click removal.

When gain staging ive always stopped around -18 to -12
I aim for -3 to -5 with the compressor

Let me know if there is anything that i forgot that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)-img-1442.jpg   Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)-img-1443.jpg   Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)-img-1444.jpg   Can you please help me tame this audio distortion (spoken word)-img-1445.jpg  
Attached Files

issue-RawAudio2.wav (11.15 MB, 175 views)

issue-AUDIO-LUFS16.wav (12.18 MB, 172 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Troubleshooting 101 - always start at the source.

Sounds like you are 8-10 inches away from the mic, which is great, and at your speaking level would not cause distortion at the mic. So it's probably not the mic.

You already said you tried different cables, so that's good.

Next thing to check is the input and output gain on your 1073. To do this, bypass the wa2a and go straight into your interface from the 1073. From your picture I notice the output gain on your 1073 is not all the way up, and your input gain is quite high. For cleanest performance, you want the output trim to be all the way up. So you'll probably pull back the input gain knob to about 10 or 11 o'clock. I'm guessing this is the source of your distortion. You are likely pushing the input and therefore driving the circuit. So start with the levels i've described (with the output knob all the way up) and adjust the input knob until you are touching yellow on your input monitoring in your daw. Does it sound distorted? if not, let's plug in the wa2a.

Start with the output gain at about 9 o'clock. You probably only need to reduce by 2-4 db so, watch the needle, or use your ears. I notice you have your peak reduction set quite high, and your output gain pretty low. This tells me your input signal is not correct.

My guess is that you are both overloading the input stage on the 1073 and also using too much peak reduction on the wa2a.

Hope this helps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Ok so i have a WA87 > WA73 > WA2A > Audient iD22 > Adobe Audition.
Way too much in your signal chain and gian stage.
This should be your signal chain for a pod cast. MIc -->iD22 ---> Adobe Audition
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post

My guess is that you are both overloading the input stage on the 1073 and also using too much peak reduction on the wa2a.

Hope this helps.
This was it! thanks soo much. I turned the output all the way up. and after a little comparison i ended up putting the gain on 12 o clock. and it literally sounds even better than before. i think the output gives it a more full sound. and my voice sounds more smooth/less raspy or hoarse i guess. and the wa2a is amazing at rounding off/smoothing the peaks.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Way too much in your signal chain and gian stage.
This should be your signal chain for a pod cast. MIc -->iD22 ---> Adobe Audition
A. I like hardware.
B. Its quicker for me to edit and upload content when i dont have to do a lot of ITB processing. with hardware, my audio is pretty much perfect (ie, as good as i can get it). The only thing i do ITB is some surgical eq (which i have saved as a preset) and some izotope stuff using their audio assistant.
C. the id22 doesnt have a compressor, so if i scream, say good bye to your ears lolol. i only use the id22 as an AD converter.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggerTugger View Post
This was it! thanks soo much. I turned the output all the way up. and after a little comparison i ended up putting the gain on 12 o clock. and it literally sounds even better than before. i think the output gives it a more full sound. and my voice sounds more smooth/less raspy or hoarse i guess. and the wa2a is amazing at rounding off/smoothing the peaks.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH MAN!

A. I like hardware.
B. Its quicker for me to edit and upload content when i dont have to do a lot of ITB processing. with hardware, my audio is pretty much perfect (ie, as good as i can get it). The only thing i do ITB is some surgical eq (which i have saved as a preset) and some izotope stuff using their audio assistant.
C. the id22 doesnt have a compressor, so if i scream, say good bye to your ears lolol. i only use the id22 as an AD converter.
You’re welcome. Glad to be of help

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search