The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Austrian Audio OC 818 and OC18
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post

I'd still like to see the math of that one BTW, but hey.

Anyway, cool microphone for sure.

Harman, eat your heart out.
Haha yes I most definitely meant combined experience!!

I believe it's actually 370 ish combined years as they have nearly 40 employees and many have over 30 years tenure at AKG - the sums add up quite quickly!

Hopefully I did the mic justice! We had the OC818 setup on our Cranborne Audio booth as we know the AA guys from our Soundcraft days but Walter was in a meeting and I blagged my way through the video for you guys!

Awesome mic, especially when paired with a nice preamp like our Camden 500s. Worth checking out.

Ells
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
from reading your post, i get the impression that you neither seem to fully grasp what the company is doing (obviously they are NOT into manufacturing yet another clone of their own retro design) nor what the app does (remote control for pattern adjustment): i'm grateful for both!

Well, that's too bad, not so many proper c12 clones actually, so there's nothing to saying "yet another clone", you could also say yet another mic as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZEA View Post
Well, that's too bad, not so many proper c12 clones actually, so there's nothing to saying "yet another clone", you could also say yet another mic as well.
i think you're still not getting their intention...

could be i don't get it either but i can report that their oc818 is the best 414 akg never did! - this alone is quite an achievement, yet it does a few things in addition!

maybe try the oc818 for yourself and then report back your experience with 'yet another mic'...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
I have been curious about these mics and was just looking at the Austrian Audio website in case any new information has been added. Am I stupidly missing something, or is it true that there have not yet been detailed specifications, including frequency response and polar plots provided yet for these mics?
Tech specs are very scarsely shared by Austrian Audio, but I did find a frequency chart of the cardioid version of the capsule.
Attached Thumbnails
Austrian Audio OC 818 and OC18-austrian_audio_oc18_frequency_chart.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Tech specs are very scarsely shared by Austrian Audio, but I did find a frequency chart of the cardioid version of the capsule.
Using the microphones provide so much more useful info...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It never hurts, though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
i can report that their oc818 is the best 414 akg never did! - this alone is quite an achievement, yet it does a few things in addition!
AKG did their best 414 but then spoiled it with various modifications to make production cheaper/faster (more "reliable"). That's why I wished when I saw these guys are coming up that they would redo that old fashioned multipattern LDC, with the multi-chambered capsule. But they come with another capsule modification which is not that inovative (ceramic rings are already used by other companies) and some app for the guys who need infinite polar patterns (not me). OK, maybe I don't get it. Might be also that they don't have the know-how or tools to make that original design since their capsule designer is quite young (joined the company in mid ninties).

Quote:
maybe try the oc818 for yourself and then report back your experience with 'yet another mic'...
Sure will when I get the chance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZEA View Post
(...) Might be also that they don't have the know-how or tools to make that original design since their capsule designer is quite young (joined the company in mid ninties) (...)
...or they (currently) simply don't want to explore this avenue?!

anyway, the remote pattern control via app is a very welcomed development for some of the work i'm doing: in some high profile situations, there is simlply no time to re-adjust the pattern by bringing down the mic, adjust the pattern, raise it again, check or correct height/angle/orientation - what goes up, stays up! brilliant if there's a away to remotely control the pattern! two-capsule output and adjusting things in post is not as revolutionary but nice to have too...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

If the original AKG, one of the absolutely topmost manufacturers at the time, could not find a way to reliably make great CK12 capsules, and they couldn't, I'm not sure if anyone else can. There are some, like Tim Campbell, that can make them individually by hand, but I think the nature of the capsule is that it cannot be reliably mass-manufactured to the high standards required.
If someone wants a great C12, the circuit is readily available, as are the parts, and some manufacturers come so close that all you need to do is put in a Tim Campbell (or other handmade CK12-style) capsule, and you've got a great, as near authentic as possible, C12. It's one of the few classic mics that can truly be cloned exactly, or at least almost exactly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Using the microphones provide so much more useful info...
Yes, and a frequency graph tells a lot more than jubilant stories. Having available a frequency graph in addition to the microphones is even more helpful in finding their best use. I have a pair on order, BTW.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...) a frequency graph tells a lot more than jubilant stories (...)
not really: it's about as crude as a fr graph of a speaker or a room measurement - and if no additional information is given (actually lots of it) and you're not really tech-savy, imo there's almost nothing to be gained from an smoothed fr chart.

btw: ever noticed or measured and compared the fr of some much praised, high-priced vintage tube studio tube condenser mics?! many of them measure quite horribly...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw: ever noticed or measured and compared the fr of some much praised, high-priced vintage tube studio tube condenser mics?! many of them measure quite horribly...
Definitely. Which is exactly why the combo of the actual mic with the graph is so functional in finding out why it can do the things it does so well. Not everybody is as stupid as you seem to think.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, and a frequency graph tells a lot more than jubilant stories. Having available a frequency graph in addition to the microphones is even more helpful in finding their best use. I have a pair on order, BTW.
Having a frequency graph tells me NOTHING more than I can glean from actually using the mic...doesn't tell me how it will handle tenor sax in the studio or on stage, or how silky smooth it will be on female vocals etc. No, the frequency graph does not tell me how great the microphone will perform in stereo mode on a Roland JC120 amp or as a stereo OH on a kit.

That graph won't tell me about the proximity performance of the mic, or anything about how smooth the off axis pickup or the feedback performance of the mic is in various situations....I learned all that by using it in real world situations. In fact the graph is pretty useless to me at this point, my "jubilant" experiences are all I need.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely. Which is exactly why the combo of the actual mic with the graph is so functional in finding out why it can do the things it does so well. Not everybody is as stupid as you seem to think.
Just curious, but what has that graph told you about the real-world performance of the microphone? How will this graph tell you why it performs the way it does pray tell...?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Used the OC 818 to record snare this past week...excellent. Two different snare drums on a 5 piece Yamaha recording custom kit....14"x5.5" Ludwig steel snare and a Yamaha recording custom 14"x 5.5" birch snare.

The mic was placed at a slight angle, with half the capsule just above the rim so there was no need for a bottom mic and the mix between top head, shell and snares was perfect for us. Cardioid, 80Hz high pass and 12db pad, which provided a very nice direct sound with a smooth off axis blend.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Got the mics in this week (a stereo pair in one box): frequency response was exactly as expected from the graph, very good on my own voice. However: one of the mics sounded considerably lower in volume than the other and had a higher level of fluttery noise. Impossible to use them as a stereo pair. I heard from the dealer that I was not the only one having reported these problems. QC issues? Not a good start for a new brand...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Got the mics in this week (a stereo pair in one box): frequency response was exactly as expected from the graph, very good on my own voice. However: one of the mics sounded considerably lower in volume than the other and had a higher level of fluttery noise. Impossible to use them as a stereo pair. I heard from the dealer that I was not the only one having reported these problems. QC issues? Not a good start for a new brand...
Hi Earcatcher. First, thanks for purchasing a pair of OC818. Let me re-assure you, that you bought outstanding mics, both in sound quality and flexibility of use and control. And thank you for raising your issue here. This should not happen and we are here to help. Please let me emphasize, that all our microphones are build with special care and leave the factory fully quality tested. It should not happen that it arrives faulty, but things happen and we are more than interested to learn what went wrong. You state, that the dealer you bought them from, experienced such an issue before? It would be great to know where you bought them, so we can check if anything went wrong in transport on the way to this dealer. Anyway, please contact your local dealer, or our distributor, or our customer service in Vienna directly at [email protected]. We are 100% committed to delivering legendary sound and highest quality and durability and want to make sure to sort you out. Thank you!
Your Austrian Audio Team
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
If someone wants a great C12, the circuit is readily available, as are the parts, and some manufacturers come so close that all you need to do is put in a Tim Campbell (or other handmade CK12-style) capsule, and you've got a great, as near authentic as possible, C12. It's one of the few classic mics that can truly be cloned exactly, or at least almost exactly.
Respectfully disagree here.

No one has yet figured out how to successfully reproduce the original ck-12 design. This is why folks pay 3k for original combs and EBs, and why a good original ck-12 from an Elam 251 sells for 3-5k.

If a C-12 can really be clones exactly why do the originals still fetch 20k?

..because they can’t.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I want to say that I have been using our new Austrian Audio OC818 on the soprano section of an excellent choir.
The sound is highly detailed, smooth, and with excellent detail. Such a difference from the AKG TLII which offers fake detail that is blurred and indistinct.
The Austrian Audio mic is sounding rich and warm and not peaky in the treble. I am mightily impressed with the new Viennese product and I will add more OC818 mics here soon.

Endorsed!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustrianAudio View Post
Hi Earcatcher. First, thanks for purchasing a pair of OC818. Let me re-assure you, that you bought outstanding mics, both in sound quality and flexibility of use and control. And thank you for raising your issue here. This should not happen and we are here to help. Please let me emphasize, that all our microphones are build with special care and leave the factory fully quality tested. It should not happen that it arrives faulty, but things happen and we are more than interested to learn what went wrong. You state, that the dealer you bought them from, experienced such an issue before? It would be great to know where you bought them, so we can check if anything went wrong in transport on the way to this dealer. Anyway, please contact your local dealer, or our distributor, or our customer service in Vienna directly at [email protected]. We are 100% committed to delivering legendary sound and highest quality and durability and want to make sure to sort you out. Thank you!
Your Austrian Audio Team
Hello AA,

Thank you for stepping in here. I had already taken up the issue with my dealer (which is when I learned of the other user report), so I will see what comes out of that first. When the matter does not resolve I will of course not hesitate to get in touch with you directly. The mics were new in unopened box (and unopened AA outer transport box) and looked cosmetically perfect, so there were no obvious reasons to think of any transport damage.

I am certain your intentions are good and I accept that whenever something is being produced, something can go wrong. And obviously I wish Austrian Audio all the best, or I would not have purchased these mics. I ordered the pair in advance of a planned test where I intended to hear how they will hold up in a subtle acoustic situation against a number of other high end microphones. That test has not been performed yet, but I will not delay it because of the huge logistic organisation that has already taken place to make it happen. Hopefully the problem will be tackled before the day of the big test.

(As a side note: I used to have a pair of AKG C-414 B-XLS (also purchased new, although from a different dealer) which suffered from the exact same problem, where one was perfect and one showed intermittent level and noise problems. The faulty one was sent back to the factory, but I received it back with a note that it worked according to specs. Yet, I could never use it as it was a mic I could not trust because of the reocurring issues. I sure hope none of that electronic design was transplanted to the OC818, since I've had enough headaches from the AKG's and finally had to sell them at a big loss to someone who could afford to have the occasional off-day with his mics. When you are proud of your AKG heritage, please consider this experience of mine as well. I have not had any similar problems with any of the many other microphones that I own. Of course I checked with a multitude of preamps, cables and circumstances, always making sure that phantom power was healthy.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello AA,

Thank you for stepping in here. I had already taken up the issue with my dealer (which is when I learned of the other user report), so I will see what comes out of that first. When the matter does not resolve I will of course not hesitate to get in touch with you directly. The mics were new in unopened box (and unopened AA outer transport box) and looked cosmetically perfect, so there were no obvious reasons to think of any transport damage.

I am certain your intentions are good and I accept that whenever something is being produced, something can go wrong. And obviously I wish Austrian Audio all the best, or I would not have purchased these mics. I ordered the pair in advance of a planned test where I intended to hear how they will hold up in a subtle acoustic situation against a number of other high end microphones. That test has not been performed yet, but I will not delay it because of the huge logistic organisation that has already taken place to make it happen. Hopefully the problem will be tackled before the day of the big test.

(As a side note: I used to have a pair of AKG C-414 B-XLS (also purchased new, although from a different dealer) which suffered from the exact same problem, where one was perfect and one showed intermittent level and noise problems. The faulty one was sent back to the factory, but I received it back with a note that it worked according to specs. Yet, I could never use it as it was a mic I could not trust because of the reocurring issues. I sure hope none of that electronic design was transplanted to the OC818, since I've had enough headaches from the AKG's and finally had to sell them at a big loss to someone who could afford to have the occasional off-day with his mics. When you are proud of your AKG heritage, please consider this experience of mine as well. I have not had any similar problems with any of the many other microphones that I own. Of course I checked with a multitude of preamps, cables and circumstances, always making sure that phantom power was healthy.)
Hi Again,
First, let me reply to the unfortunate similarity of issues you faced with other mics. No, there was not a single design "transplanted" between those companies. From capsule to electronic we designed everything from scratch. Different and better wherever we saw opportunities. Secondly the issue you described does not sound to us as it would be an electronic issue. It's just a guess right now (as we haven't had the mic back), but we believe something within the capsule was damaged, or a material issue with the membrane.
However, we would like to be in that test, as we are fully confident to stand up against anything you want to put us up against. The several test reports out there (SoS, Recording, etc) make us very confident. So please let us know if we can step in and make sure you get a mic to specs in time. You may understand that we also would like to know where you bought the mic, as we want to make sure that the dealer gets services well too. Feel free to contact us directly via service or [email protected]. Thank you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'm about to buy an OC 818.

I heard some clips of a shoot out with a vintage AKG C12 - I thought the OC 818 had a very similar sonic profile to the vintage C12 .... the OC 818 is a very impressive mic and will make a fantastic addition to my mic locker. I can image I'll use it on a very wide range of sources.

Here's the Youtube shoot out I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m9BIpXpb8k

Good review in SOS also.

Last edited by thehightenor; 2 weeks ago at 03:19 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustrianAudio View Post
Hi Again,
First, let me reply to the unfortunate similarity of issues you faced with other mics. No, there was not a single design "transplanted" between those companies. From capsule to electronic we designed everything from scratch. Different and better wherever we saw opportunities. Secondly the issue you described does not sound to us as it would be an electronic issue. It's just a guess right now (as we haven't had the mic back), but we believe something within the capsule was damaged, or a material issue with the membrane.
However, we would like to be in that test, as we are fully confident to stand up against anything you want to put us up against. The several test reports out there (SoS, Recording, etc) make us very confident. So please let us know if we can step in and make sure you get a mic to specs in time. You may understand that we also would like to know where you bought the mic, as we want to make sure that the dealer gets services well too. Feel free to contact us directly via service or [email protected]. Thank you!
Good to know that every aspect of the mic's design is all new. My mics are back on their way to the distributor. I trust they will be in your custody soon. The dealer will send me a new pair.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

From what I have seen and hear Auatrian Audio is what AKG would have been had it not been Harmanized

I hope to meet them and see the mics properly at AES in Vienna next year.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
Respectfully disagree here.

No one has yet figured out how to successfully reproduce the original ck-12 design. This is why folks pay 3k for original combs and EBs, and why a good original ck-12 from an Elam 251 sells for 3-5k.

If a C-12 can really be clones exactly why do the originals still fetch 20k?

..because they can’t.
Miracle, IMHO Eric Heiserman has been successful in reproducing the CK12.
My very (very) fussy ears, couldn't reliably tell the Vintage Brass 414, from other Vintage 414, with the capsule he made. Amazing.

Some years before, I got to sing/try FLEA's version of the C12, with Tim Campbell's capsule.
Also fantastic work.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Personally, my next "microphone stop" (purchase) will probably be an under $1300 ribbon.
But...

The positive reports of those like Sam C., and Plush (who both know MUCH more than I'll ever know)... Count a lot for me, regarding Austrian Audio.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Miracle, IMHO Eric Heiserman has been successful in reproducing the CK12.
My very (very) fussy ears, couldn't reliably tell the Vintage Brass 414, from other Vintage 414, with the capsule he made. Amazing.

Some years before, I got to sing/try FLEA's version of the C12, with Tim Campbell's capsule.
Also fantastic work.
Chris
So now you’re trying to make me buy a Heiserman?

Just wait till I tell my wife.
You gonna be in trouble!

.. but seriously, I’m gonna need to hear his CK-12 at some point..
and that 47 thing DrBill was talking about..

Is it relevant to mention that my financial advisor told me I can’t retire on microphones when I saw him this week?

T-T
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Compose a love song for her!
(Something to remember you by)
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Good to know that every aspect of the mic's design is all new. My mics are back on their way to the distributor. I trust they will be in your custody soon. The dealer will send me a new pair.
Cool. I am happy to hear you will be sorted.If anything goes wrong, we are here to help. All the best and have fun and great recordings with your new mics.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Keep us posted - the Big Test sounds interesting, and any findings you're able to share would be much appreciated.

Re your initial experience, perhaps you accidentally got this one :
https://www.facebook.com/AustrianAud...4MjE4MTc1ODM1/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search