The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording guitars: in live room? Or iso booth?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Recording guitars: in live room? Or iso booth?

Curious if you guys have a strong preference for recording guitars in the live room or in an isolation booth and what advantages / disadvantages do you perceive?

I'm considering building an iso-booth or at least an iso-box in my studio, mainly for workflow reasons, and am wondering if it'd be worth it in the end. My live room is not very big (roughly 20' x 16') so I usually record the drums first, clear them out of the room, and then record the guitars. It really slows things down working that way so it would be nice if I could isolate the guitar cabs and record everything at the same time.

I've only recorded guitars in iso-booths a handful of times at pro studios and was never too stoked on how they came out, except maybe for straight-up metal tones. It could've been due to my inexperience with the methodology so I'm wondering if any of you are totally cool with recording guitars that way--and do you feel like it is a compromise at all? When recorded isolated, do you nearly always some artificial reverb?

For those that dig it, do you have any iso-box or booth plans/designs you would recommend?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
Curious if you guys have a strong preference for recording guitars in the live room or in an isolation booth and what advantages / disadvantages do you perceive?

I'm considering building an iso-booth or at least an iso-box in my studio, mainly for workflow reasons, and am wondering if it'd be worth it in the end. My live room is not very big (roughly 20' x 16') so I usually record the drums first, clear them out of the room, and then record the guitars. It really slows things down working that way so it would be nice if I could isolate the guitar cabs and record everything at the same time.
by "at the same time" do you mean recording the musicians playing together? Because that not only "saves time" it can give you "feel" advantages you do not get from overdubbing.

I have gotten decent results with people playing live with gobos. Yes they do have to know how to play, yes they do have to control their volume, and yes there is bleed. But if you don't have to fix a lot of stuff, a little bit of bleed can be advantageous.

I too, am not a fan of booths and even less of a fan of boxes. If I am overdubbing anything, I generally want it in the big room. Closets and iso booths are a compromise that may be required for musicians playing live together. In such a case, if you are not happy with the sound of the iso, take a clean direct at the same time so you can reamp it later.

out in the big room
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
It all depends on the size of the live room, the size of the booth, and the sound i want for that guitar for that particular song. If i want a more spacey/lively sound, i may use the live room. If i want a dryer sound, i may use the both. Hell i may use both room and double track! You use whatever gets you the sound you want.

There are no set advantages or disadvantages
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I like recording the band, so I often have amps in the booth or hallway, while cutting basics. When I do overdubs, the amps are usually in the live room. If I'm doing a day of electric guitars, I like having a bunch of amps in the live room, so its really easy to try different things. I still usually mic them pretty close, but sometimes I'll use a room mic, because I can.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search