The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Patchbay stuff
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Patchbay stuff

Hello, I have two nutrek patchbays and I just have them stock without using the grounding tabs. In the top patchbay I have the outputs from my mic pres and the bottom has the inputs for my Apollo 16. So it’s running as half normal going with mic pres going in automatically without using a plug.

The problem I’m having is that my bottom patchbay is basically running the same way but the outputs from my Apollo are on top and the inputs for my 2bus are on bottom. I thought that this would make it so when I send stereo buses out of the Apollo they just automatically go into the stereo inputs of the 2bus. Only channels 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, and 13/14 get signal. And even those signals are wonky or they won’t pan but just make it louder or softer. I’ve checked all cabling and that’s all good. And when I plug a cable directly into the slot for the 2bus, it gets signal.

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? I thought maybe it has something to do with the grounding tabs? Idk. I’m kinda at a loss, and wondering if it’s just something dumb that I’m overlooking or flipping the cards or whatever. I’m going to try and switch the ins and out around and see if I get normal signal when it’s going the other way using an actual cable to connect them.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Sorry if anyone is reading this twice, I wasn’t really sure where to post.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Apologies if you’ve checked this already, but I have 3 of those Neutrik NYS-SPP-L TRS bays and you really need to shove your plugs into the jacks and seat them well. Anytime I have issues I recheck that all the cables are fully seated (especially if I just reconfigured the patchbay or rack).
Old 3 weeks ago
I’m guessing you are aware that you can flip the individual circuits around to make them normalled, half normalled, or non normalled? Check to make sure they are all in the unit the correct way.

I have had many of those patchbays over the years and unfortunately I can attest to the jacks wearing out and shorting out over time, especially if there is any tension or strain on them.

This has worked for me before:
1) use an air duster or better yet a high power compressor to blast all the inputs clean. Dust settles on the connectors inside and causes a bad connection
2) get some deoxit and sacrifice a cable (don’t use a burnisher unless this doesn’t work first) spray a very small amount of deoxit on a paper towel and coat the patch cable and quickly push it in and out a dozen or so times.
3) sometimes the springiness of the jacks just wears out and you have to replace the bad circuit.

I used to have an extra patch bay in my storage room just to quickly swap out problem circuits. They’re all gone now, over the course of about 10 years I’ve gone through a few of them.

I bought the Samson S-patch to replace them a few years back and have had no problems with it.

Eventually I’m going to upgrade to all db25 TT bays but it’s an expensive upgrade for me because I have so much stuff to connect
Old 3 weeks ago
SRS
Lives for gear

Before you get too crazy, meter the patchbay with and without a cable inserted to make sure your normalling is proper and the signal goes through the patchbay correctly. My hunch is that it's an Apollo routing issue. The I/O Matrix in the Settings can be a bit tricky and you need to make sure the Outputs are correct. Like for example the Outs 1/2 may be shifted as the actual outputs on those 1/2 are used for Monitor Outs. Outputs 1/2 and 3/4 are tricky. Check that 2nd after you meter the patchbay.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks guys! Actually after testing again I realized it was just a connection issue haha. Seems that every time something goes wrong I jump to complicated answers when I should check more obvious solutions and causes first. Haha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search