The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adam A7x Quality
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Adam A7x Quality

So I'm pretty happy with my Adams but their build quality is really poor. I have owned them a few years, but to date.

2 power supply failures - expensive
2 on/off swith failures - this happened again today.

Repairs are starting to get expensive £70 for a replacement switch for instance, so a few hundred now in total repair costs, so anybody else having reliablity issues?

Is it time to trade them up for something similarly priced but better?
Thanks
Old 21st June 2019
Quote:
I have owned them a few years, but to date.

2 power supply failures - expensive
2 on/off swith failures - this happened again today.
Damn, i have had my studio monitors for over 10 years with no issues, ever. I think you got some lemons, but i never heard of the A7's being bad quality. maybe the guy was hungover the day he assembled yours??

But yes, i would 100% get rid of them and buy something that is considered an upgrade. JBL's and Focals are my favorites. My JBL's are still kicking but after 10 years and i mix with them daily.
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
... so anybody else having reliablity issues? ...
I've had my A7x pair for about 7 years. So far, so good... They replaced a pair of dying Mackie HR824's (reliability problems). If I had to replace the Adams, the only sure thing is that I'd get a headache sorting through all the choices out there.
Old 22nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I've had my A7x pair for about 7 years. So far, so good... They replaced a pair of dying Mackie HR824's (reliability problems). If I had to replace the Adams, the only sure thing is that I'd get a headache sorting through all the choices out there.
Yup there in lies the problem, and auditioning them. What would be an upgrade at a similar price, Focals?

In other news Adam has agreed to replace the faulty on off switch under warranty - so we’ll done Adam.

Last edited by Pip; 22nd June 2019 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

I've been using my A7X monitors for almost 11 years now. They were heavy duty speakers and they never ever failed me. They still behave like brand new out of the box.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Maniac

My old dsm3’s I had one stop working,
Got a pair of A7X’s, I can’t stand them.
Nothing translates, they just don’t sound all that great to me. Kept hoping it was break in or something, nope, I just don’t like em.
For sure getting my old dsm3 fixed.
If I close my eyes, the dsm’s sound like the band is in the room, the Adams, not so much.
To each their own I suppose.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Addict

On my pair of Adam A7X one of the speakers died within 2 months, got i fixed, then the other one started acting up.
Repair guy at the shop confirmed they had many returns.
Me and a few of my friends who also got issues with their monitors have left Adams a long time ago.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA View Post
On my pair of Adam A7X one of the speakers died within 2 months, got i fixed, then the other one started acting up.
Repair guy at the shop confirmed they had many returns.
Me and a few of my friends who also got issues with their monitors have left Adams a long time ago.
I've heard simlar problems from my tech guys, I guess like all things you win some you lose some, mine are not reliable and when I can audition some more, and have some cash - they'll go.
I do like them but maybe I'm just use to how they sound.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear
Yeah that model's reputation these days isn't good, I'm still using my p11a's so I guess its more specific to that model rather than the brand.

Do an upgrade if you like adam's, there is a lot of difference between models tone-wise.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Get your pair fixed, sell them, and get something else. The HEDD 07 and the KRK V6S4 both smoke the Adam A7X. They just use much better drivers and sound much less “audiophile hi-fi.” Keep in mind that if you want 40hz extension for bass, you’ll need to get an 8 incher.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search