The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HELP! Clicking noises coming from Preamps
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Head
HELP! Clicking noises coming from Preamps

I'm getting a "clicking" noise in my preamps. I recently picked up a pair of used Vintech X73's. Previous owner says he never had a problem with any clicking noise. I've also emailed Vintech, but haven't heard back yet.

I suspect it's coming from a wiring/power problem, possibly in my room's electrical system. However, when I try to recreate the same problem using my AEA ribbon pre, I cannot hear the clicking noise. I suspect it's there, but the transformer power in the Vintech's is causing the noise to be more audible maybe?

Has anyone experienced something similar? Could be through a console, or other preamps....

Here's a quick video.. this is with a dynamic mic hooked up, monitoring through my RME totalmix.

Old 20th June 2019
Gear Head
UPDATE - the clicking noise is also coming from my AEA preamp as well, just not as loud, so it's not isolated to just the X73's.

Still looking for any suggestions..... Thanks!
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Head
Okay, last update.... I ran my Furman power supply and plugged it in to other outlets in the house and the clicking noise is gone. I'll test it again, but it does appear to be just in this one circuit in my room. Maybe it's coming from the breaker?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search