The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most technically advanced hardware compressors?
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Shadow Hills
Dynax
GML
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Shadow Hills
Dynax
GML
Hmm heard about Shadow Hills, but I was not expecting it to be much different from my "affordable" BC501.

The other two are new to me, seem interesting, although a bit expensive.
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Well not exactly high end studio gear (and internally digital) but if you want technically advanced with lots of control I would say the Mackie Quad Comp which was available for like 2 months some years ago:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ckie-quad-comp

I got hip to these when I saw a guy in a club using a Quad EQ, four 31 band EQ's, programmable in a two rack space. The quad comp is the sister to the EQ, four gates/compressors in the same two space format.

I am pretty sure the software inside of these things came from Acuma, it really is like a software gate/comp in a hardware box.

The Quad Comp is super easy to use, big knobs, big meters with one unbelievably stunning defect.

So it has four channels, the front panel is full of controls that all control a single channel, you switch from bank A to bank B to Bank C to Bank D to change the settings for each channel.

99 programs so sounds pretty easy right, you adjust each channel to your desired settings then save all four channels as a preset right? I mean this makes sense right?

NOPE - WRONG

Each preset is actually ONE Bank, so let's say you wanted to save four banks as a group you do it as programs 1 through 4. Or programs 1, 17, 33 and 87 if you want to lose your mind.

It's a maddeningly dumbass way of doing things, the only clue you have is if you load a preset it will light the specific bank that preset is storing the settings for.

There are provisions for copying from one bank to another but it's not exactly intuitive.

The recall button only recalls a single bank to the preset it was saved to so if you want to call up say four channels of compressor settings you saved you have to recall four different presets.

I suppose this interface made a small bit of sense on the EQ (it's not like you are rapidly changing programs on a 31 band graphic EQ in the middle of a show) but for the compressor it's just so bad, so very bad.

The upside is the unit is very quiet and while a bit sterile it does a good job. What it excels at is the flexibility in gating and compression/expansion. There are filter settings for the highs and lows for the band center AND the amount of filtering to supply.

You are able to do this independently for the gate AND the compressor, they each have their own settings and knobs, not shared.

I suppose you could do some really creative things with it in the studio, but I bought it for a small live rack, only used it a few times.

It was great in that application, and you can see the settings (it uses those LED rings the Mackie Digital Mixers had) from halfway across the room.

They literally made these things for 3 months it would seem, I found out they existed from seeing the EQ version but never saw one for sale online or in a store, surprised I found a reference from Sweetwater I copied above.

I can't remember what I paid for mine ($175 maybe? on Ebay) but they go for a lot cheaper these days.

Probably worth buying for what they sell for, if nothing else they would be really good for learning filter key settings for gates and compressors, and if you have an application for that often one of these saves you the trouble of having to use the sidechain and an extra EQ just to zero in on a gate on a drum for example.

Analogeezer
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Tough to know what you mean by "technically advanced", but if you want a ton of options/features in a newly-designed very high quality (and pricey) compressor, the RND Portico II MBP is your beast. Another way of looking at "technically advanced" is digital/DAW control of analog hardware, and for that you'll want to check out the products by Bettermaker.

Last edited by dirker; 20th June 2019 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: bad spacing
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirker View Post
Tough to know what you mean by "technically advanced", but if you want a ton of options/features in a newly-designed very high quality (and pricey) compressor, the RND Portico II MBP is your beast. Another way of looking at "technically advanced" is digital/DAW control of analog hardware, and for that you'll want to check out the products by Bettermaker.
Pretty nice parameters. It's a bit pricey though.
Old 20th June 2019
Jai guru deva om

There are a few VARI-MU designs that have the "hold" feature which is unique, although for most modern day uses I would think it would get rarely used. I think it really depends on what the source is.

Dave Hill's Titan might be one of the easier to dial in, but more well appointed models. That adjustable knee, once learned, is a thing of beauty.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search