The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
golden age pre-73 premier anything you didn't like about it?
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Maniac
golden age pre-73 premier anything you didn't like about it?

hy i only have one day to toroughly test the golden age pre-73 premier mic preamp ... any negative experiences or things i should especially keep an ear on? ... any long time regrets or conspicuous?
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Head

I have their GA-47 mic and it sounds wonderful. I’m also curious to hear thoughts on the PRE-73! If their 47 clone is anything to go by, I’d imagine it would sound pretty good for the price.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
hy i only have one day to toroughly test the golden age pre-73 premier mic preamp ... any negative experiences or things i should especially keep an ear on? ... any long time regrets or conspicuous?
When I was putting together a small home studio years ago, the Pre73 was the first preamp I got. I was working in a nice studio at the time and brought it in a few times and compared it with real vintage 1073's and some other pre's like a TG-2. It held it's own very well right off the bat. I ended up getting 2 of them for home and did a lot of songs and demo's where I was only using the Pre73.

On some larger demo's with a lot of vocal layers, I found it didn't stack as well as some other more expensive preamps. I remember trying to work out a backing vocal harmony that was kind of a wall of sound with like 15 tracks of me humming a bunch of notes (I was probably using a Rode K2 into the Pre73 at the time). Things got a little mushy and too blended together. I did the part again a few days later at work with the same mic but going into a TG-2, it worked a lot better. That was kind of my first intro to "preamps matter sometimes".

Years later, I still have a Pre73. I use it sparingly though and try not to build too many layers with it in a song. I have the same issue with my Warm Audio WA-12, it can sound nice and colorful but has a tendency to get messy when stacked. That would probably be my biggest issue with the Pre73 and a lot of cheaper "color" preamps. I'm being picky though, it's not like you can't use it for a whole song and get great results. If I have other choices and options, it's going to get used sparingly.
Old 19th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
Yep, I went to use mine last week and it just stopped working. It's now in the bin, shame as it was very good whilst it worked for the last 4 years.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Yep, I went to use mine last week and it just stopped working. It's now in the bin, shame as it was very good whilst it worked for the last 4 years.
Is it totally dead or just acting up? If it's totally dead it's probably the power supply. The wall wort supply is pretty crappy. If you have two or more of the Gap half rack units its worth investing in the half rack power supply. There's no audible difference but it's way more solid.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

I forgot to mention this. I think I've owned 4 of these over the years, and all of them have eaten through fuses like crazy. No joke @ Harvey Specter , try changing the fuse...
Old 19th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
The Premier pre73 is different than the regular GAP line. I think it was only released last year and supposedly is much higher quality.
Old 19th June 2019
I did check the fuses, and changed them ...gave up trying to fix it. Shame as it was a very accurate pre amp when not overdriven, it was clean enough for me to use as the preamp for Sonarworks room calibration.

Too expensive to risk buying again for me though.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Have a GAP Pre73DLX since years. I like it a lot, prefer it to the Warm Audio Tonebeast. The potis get a bit scratchy after years.
Old 19th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did check the fuses, and changed them ...gave up trying to fix it. Shame as it was a very accurate pre amp when not overdriven, it was clean enough for me to use as the preamp for Sonarworks room calibration.

Too expensive to risk buying again for me though.
As long as you don't get it stuck in your head that it's a "neve clone", it's still a great preamp for the money. I've had one for years and love it enough to always have one on hand. I really enjoy occasionally putting a solo overhead mic way over a drum kit and driving the snot out of it with the Pre73, I've still not found another preamp that does it as well for me.

I bought one right when they came out years ago. At the time, there weren't a whole lot of decent preamp choices under $500. It was one of the best ones by far. That's definitely not the case today, I probably wouldn't have given it much thought if I were starting over today.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear
I have a whole "Pseudo-Board" that I compiled out of GAP units, patch bays, a little bit of modding (2 comps moded to accept 4 ins each, with stereo link they become the "Summing mixer" ) and a "Desk Rack" ....Oh! And the Power distributors of course. Those wall warts are BAD NEWS.

8x8 I/O with another 4 units for a master and aux output, compression (Comp 73) and EQ (EQ73's and EQ81's) on every channel.

Why did I bother with such a project?

BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP!!....and they have "A sound" if you drive them, I wanted a color board where I could drive a signal at any juncture....pure pleasure project, It made me happy to seek out cheap used units (Part of the deal for me was to never pay more than $200 per unit..For many units, I paid only $100, for one or two even LESS) and cobble the thing together, having to make small repairs and modifications...

All in all the thing cost me around $2500.....and this is with EQ and compression on every channel....and for that price, I have a real "Budget color board" Also a "Modular board" where I can patch units in different ways and have all sorts of fun.

At first, it was just a hobby project, but the kinks have been worked out enough that I'm using it for work now as well...Next step....VCA faders??? Oooooh!

It's great, FOR THE PRICE, There s no way I would EVEEEEEEEEER have paid full price for these units if I had.....I'd be somewhere around.....$30 grand? $40 grand.....

If I was included to drop $30,000 dollars on my studio, I would sure as hell not be spending it on GAP units.....The company has SERIOUS Q.C issues (Which is why I was able to get units for peanuts)

Now, I don't know what the deal with these "Premier" GAP73's are, but I see they are selling for the same price as any of the OLD versions did when they were new,

So what's so "Premier" about these things that they didn't add a dime to the cost of the old ones?

This stinks of a company with a bad rep for Q.C (WARM is just as bad if not worse, I've never owned their stuff, but have heard all the stories) RE-BRANDING their core product in such a way that suggests the public need not take their past reputation into consideration.

"Oh! It's "Premier" Great! Not like those other units they made that were DOA"

Much like WARM audio solicitously calling themselves WARM they are trying to control your perception of what they are and what you will be buying because they know THAT is where the battle is won and lost.

My advice? Go buy a GAP Mrk 2 for $150-200.....I would be VERY surprised if there is much of, if any REAL difference.
Old 21st June 2019
Gear Maniac
thanx alot and sorry for the confusing title, because some of you talking about a complete different outdated product from gap... i've send it back ... i liked the sound more then my rme ucx preamps but not 500bucks more ... any cheap used alternative mic pre with alot of gain for a 90s hip hop sound?
Old 21st June 2019
PMF
Gear Maniac
have a Pre 73 Mk. III Plus with the Carnhill mod.
I liked the sound and the concept of the Pre 73 Mk. III Plus so I was searching for something similar.

Had the choice between a second Pre 73 Mk. III Plus and the Premier Pre 73 and decided to go for the Premier Pre 73. Was a good choice.
I record different sources like voices (M/F singing and rap), acoustic guitars, acoustic bass, bass (over DI) and use all kinds of mics, TLM103, TLM102, KM184, AT4033, SM7B and so on, with it.

Really happy with the sound.

The Premium Pre 73 sounds similar to the Pre 73 Mk. III Plus but has more depth overall.
It can sound quite different when you crank up the input transformer.

Both sound really good but IMO, the Premium Pre 73 sounds better.
Old 22nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

To the OP: In this thread I've written some thoughts regarding the Premier. You may find them useful.

Golden Age PRE73 premier VS PREQ 73 Premier

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search