The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is the TB12 just one channel of the WA-412?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Is the TB12 just one channel of the WA-412?

Title kinda says it all. I'm only asking about the Pre-amp. I understand the TB12 has more options after it passes the pre.

I will probably only ever need 2 channels so I was looking at the TB12 as an alternative. Does anyone know if they're both modeled after the API 312?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherSheehy View Post
Title kinda says it all. I'm only asking about the Pre-amp. I understand the TB12 has more options after it passes the pre.

I will probably only ever need 2 channels so I was looking at the TB12 as an alternative. Does anyone know if they're both modeled after the API 312?
No... the wa-412 is essential four channels of warm audio’s WA12 preamp...

The tb-12 ToneBeast is basically the wa12 on the steroids... it’s amazing and you should own at least one... I see them used on Reverb for 420-450 ish a lot... I think around 599 new? they also make them in a 500 series but I’ve no experience with that unit
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
No... the wa-412 is essential four channels of warm audio’s WA12 preamp...

The tb-12 ToneBeast is basically the wa12 on the steroids... it’s amazing and you should own at least one...
Wouldn’t that technically mean it is the same pre? I’m pretty sure you can set the TB12 to the same settings as the WA12. :P Also if I could pick your brain, what makes it a WA12 on steroids? And what do you use yours most for?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The tonebeast is a wa12 but with different components that can be switched into the circuit via controls on the face plate. So you start with the API type sound but you can choose between nickel and steel trafos, engage different capacitors, run two different op amps, etc.

Think of it as a wa12 but with a bunch of different mods that you can access with a switch instead of your soldering iron.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
The tonebeast is a wa12 but with different components that can be switched into the circuit via controls on the face plate. So you start with the API type sound but you can choose between nickel and steel trafos, engage different capacitors, run two different op amps, etc.

Think of it as a wa12 but with a bunch of different mods that you can access with a switch instead of your soldering iron.
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Do you own one? Any input on a unit before I splurge would be happily welcomed. :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hold on there... I've had one of the original WA-12 preamps since they came out, it sounds nothing like an API. I don't think the WA-412 is 4 channels of the WA-12 (Although I have not tried the 412).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Hold on there... I've had one of the original WA-12 preamps since they came out, it sounds nothing like an API. I don't think the WA-412 is 4 channels of the WA-12 (Although I have not tried the 412).
You might have me there, i’ve never sat down much with the first gen wa-12. I think there’s a general nod towards the 312 camp with these units. How accurate, I can’t say.

OP: I can say that the TB is a versatile piece of kit for many applications. The trafo settings switch the voicing well and I really like that you can drive the unit but trim the master output. I like it on snare, toms, acoustic, electric, some vocals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post

And you can pop it open and swap out opamps... so, you could throw in real api opamps if you want... it’s a no brainer over the wa12...
Old 4 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
The wa12 is an api style design. The tone beast was the same design but with switchable op amps transistors, etc for variable sound. It also added an output knob for drive. Then warm did 500 series of each . Then the 412; which is a different design squeezing those pres into a nice rack mount. But they sound different because they are. Finally, somewhere in there, warm added an output knob to the wa12. The TB set flat sounds pretty much like a wa12 since it is the same circuitry. Close enough you can do stereo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
The wa12 is an api style design. The tone beast was the same design but with switchable op amps transistors, etc for variable sound. It also added an output knob for drive. Then warm did 500 series of each . Then the 412; which is a different design squeezing those pres into a nice rack mount. But they sound different because they are. Finally, somewhere in there, warm added an output knob to the wa12. The TB set flat sounds pretty much like a wa12 since it is the same circuitry. Close enough you can do stereo.
I'm pretty sure the 412 has different transformers from the Cinemag that the WA12 and TB12 have. Probably to make it more affordable in the 4 channel version, though it may have been a specific design idea.
Old 4 weeks ago
JAT
Lives for gear
I think that was in the press material. One of Warm’s people said it was a “lighter” sound than the 12 family, is how he phrased it. Anyway, It is it’s own thing, not a 4 channel wa12.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I think that was in the press material. One of Warm’s people said it was a “lighter” sound than the 12 family, is how he phrased it. Anyway, It is it’s own thing, not a 4 channel wa12.
Thank you for clarifying. I’m not sure I want the TB12 if it won’t match the WA412 before adjustments. I’ve heard so much praise for the WA412 so I was really hoping I could snag it without opting for 4 pre amps. Ahh well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search