The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making Records with Eric Valentine
Old 4 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

Making Records with Eric Valentine

Hey All!!

I started a new YouTube channel where I do deep dive deconstructions of songs I have worked and other various recording/mixing techniques. I like this outlet because I can actually show what is going on in the Pro Tools sessions and or use other graphics/pictures to really show the details of what happened. I also am having guests join me that were integral parts of the process. I'm only a month into it and it has been super fun. Check it out if you're interested!

All the best,

Eric Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV...FZFDGN8XRzpIrQ
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Watching the Greg Wells episode now. Holy smokes...Thanks for doing this!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That was a wonderful way to spend a coupla hours on a Sunday.

And the mutual respect and the way it helped direct the conversation was so great to see.

Nice one Mr. Valentine!

R.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Awesome Eric! BTW I was also a huge fan of The Monkees (when they first were on TV!). Still am. I read they were an early inspiration for you, to start drumming.

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
7+1
Lives for gear

Great show Eric.

Last edited by 7+1; 4 weeks ago at 11:29 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you Eric, nice to take a look in. Happy Fathers Day!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Hi Eric

I'm half way through the Greg Wells session and I'm compelled to say this is pure gold for aspiring mix engineers. I LOVE IT. BTW We have a mutual friend in Matt Hales from Aqualung (who Greg has also worked with). I was his full time FOH and worked with him regularly in the studio before he moved to LA.

Keep it going!
Tony
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have deeply respected your point of views about the creative process. I will never forget the video you released where you put one mic up in front of a drum set and using one of your amazing EQs turned it from a tinny garage sound into a beefy kit.

It blew me away! Keep it coming. Thanks so much for all the inspiration.

Pat
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

P.S. for most of us who weren’t lucky enough to buy one of the handful of consoles you made, could you conceive of possibly releasing a sidecar in the future?

Pat
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 4adc64a
This is awesome, thank you. Do you have plans to deep dive on any of your 3EB work? Some of my favorite. (But this is all gold. Thanks again.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Watched the Greg Holden one last night, great stuff! I would love to see some of these with the Aqualung record and some of the Nickel Creek songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
P.S. for most of us who weren’t lucky enough to buy one of the handful of consoles you made, could you conceive of possibly releasing a sidecar in the future?

Pat
I actually emailed them about this a month or two ago. Tim Davis got back to me and said they're focusing on the established product line for the foreseeable future and are not taking orders for custom consoles anymore. I would have loved a cool little sidecar as well!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So great, thanks for sharing!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great stuff thanks a lot for steering me there....thanks EV and guests
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes please, subscribed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Fantastic content, Eric! Those videos deserve a ton more views. Thanks so much for putting in the effort!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Subscribed as well. Great stuff. Thank you for doing this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Subscribed and watched all videos, tons of great material and insight on your approach to sound that is invaluable, thank you very much! As a drummer I just learned a lot and immediately tried all that stuff and made instant improvements on my drum sounds!!! Astounding, thanks again from the heart.

Pablo

Last edited by Pawel; 3 weeks ago at 01:11 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Just watched the hardware video. That eq is def a secret weapon. The real question for me though, do you think you would have made different eq decisions starting from hardware vs software? Question 2 for me, does it matter that the inspiration for the eq choice is maybe different if it’s you making the decision?

Looking in the mirror I say no to both and with that I go to bed.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

super cool Eric thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Great. Thanks Eric.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Subscribed. Thanks Eric! I always enjoy chatting with you about nerdy production stuff. Really looking forward to diving in to some of these other great songs.

Last edited by juniorhifikit; 4 weeks ago at 07:00 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

New Episode on Mixing Drums!!

Hey All!!

The next episode is up!! This one is all about mixing drums. I dig through all of the settings for both plugins and hardware on this second beautiful Greg Holden song. Check it out!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV...FZFDGN8XRzpIrQ
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Thanks for doing these! There’s been a ton of fascinating stuff in the few you’ve posted already.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
The next episode is up!! This one is all about mixing drums. I dig through all of the settings for both plugins and hardware on this second beautiful Greg Holden song. Check it out!!
I have Saturn and arousor....this week I will try and spray some of these tips across a itb SD3 drum mix. This will eclipse my biggest drum template in reaper by quite a margin. I also assume the gating will be less....or I can cut the bleed from some sources in some mics.

Loving these videos and your take on distortion and EQ
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much for this, Eric. Long time fan of your work - your drum tones in particular have been my “standard” as a mix engineer. True inspiration.

I’ve already watched about 5 hours of this...it’s changing my life!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Great drum video! Lots of great interesting info. Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These are awesome videos. I really hope Eric does a 3rd Eye Blind episode. That first record is in my top 10.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you for doing this, Eric! I'm a huge fan of your work, especially your mixes. This last drum one is really great. Looking forward to the next one.
Old 2 weeks ago
These are really really great. The Saturn toms trick is rocking my world so hard this week.
Old 1 week ago
Q & A Guest

New Epsiode!!

It's another Production Deconstruction!! This time I sit down with the man himself, Blag Dahlia to talk about the recording of the infamous Dwarves song "FEFU". Please be aware that there is A LOT of explicit language and images in this episode. If you can sit through all of Blag and I's blabbering, there is some really good info on how to layer loops and samples with a live drum performance and some cool guitar tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVgQ4099-E&t=185s

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search