The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making Records with Eric Valentine
Old 3 weeks ago
This guy explains how to make them pretty well:https://youtu.be/FqXOLOy4jnU
Old 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure about that...but there are some DIY videos on youtube...not from EV though...
Old 3 weeks ago
js1
Lives for gear

Cylindrical tube traps have been around forever. All kinds of DIY stuff on the web.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Eric,

I want to go back to the Nickle Creek record years ago. Some questions.

- You said that you used a 251 on the mandolin yet it doesnt sound like it has that high end air vs more body. I wouldnt think a 251 would sound like that w a mandolin.

- You also said that you used a pair of u67s on the guitar. But when I listen, I hear more mono and panning to make everything fit. Did both mics make it to the track or was one left out? Or was it just panned both to one side? Really interested in hearing how this was done.

Im interested in this because sparse instrumentation but it still sounds so big and natural.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Eric,

- You said that you used a 251 on the mandolin yet it doesnt sound like it has that high end air vs more body. I wouldnt think a 251 would sound like that w a mandolin.

- You also said that you used a pair of u67s on the guitar. But when I listen, I hear more mono and panning to make everything fit. Did both mics make it to the track or was one left out? Or was it just panned both to one side? Really interested in hearing how this was done.

Im interested in this because sparse instrumentation but it still sounds so big and natural.
I think you'll have better luck asking questions on his WTF YouTube videos' comments section.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Eric,

Are you referring to 'A Dotted Line' or 'Why Should The Fire Die'?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianthreetimes View Post
Are you referring to 'A Dotted Line' or 'Why Should The Fire Die'?
Why should fire die.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ya, I would love to see an episode on "Why Should The Fire Die", that record is damn near perfect and I absolutely loved it. I also wouldn't mind a break down from one of the newer songs like "Hayloft", the production was really cool on that one!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
Ya, I would love to see an episode on "Why Should The Fire Die", that record is damn near perfect and I absolutely loved it. I also wouldn't mind a break down from one of the newer songs like "Hayloft", the production was really cool on that one!
I just listened to a podcast today with him where he discussed mic positions and using figure 8 a lot to basically block other sources bleed. Also he said that he used stereo in the acoustic but above the guitar pointed to low e and below pointed to high e. I’ve never tried this so it’s interesting. But I hear a lot more panned mono instruments in Nickel creek vs wide stereo.
Old 2 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just listened to a podcast today with him where he discussed mic positions and using figure 8 a lot to basically block other sources bleed. Also he said that he used stereo in the acoustic but above the guitar pointed to low e and below pointed to high e. I’ve never tried this so it’s interesting. But I hear a lot more panned mono instruments in Nickel creek vs wide stereo.
Can you share a link to the podcast?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s called somewhere Sound. I get it through iTunes. No link.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Can you share a link to the podcast?
They're on YouTube as well. I had forgotten about this, but it was pretty good.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
i have to say, i just love this series of video that eric has been doing.

they are so fun and so informative into the record making process.

i'll also have to add that i also totally get why josh and crew may not want the "behind the scenes" of their record out there.

i have always liked the mysteriousness behind QOTSA.

i think that is missing these days from rock and roll...and music.

i can't blame them for not wanting the specifics of the recordings being made public. i get it.

that being said....it's no big deal. it's one album. eric has produced so many incredible albums, i'm sure there is so much more he could share. everything so far has just been amazing and lots of fun.

personally i'd love to know more about the first slash album. i still marvel at how punch and huge and incredible the drums and bass and guitars sound on that album. i just can't figure out how you get those tones.

i've been making records for 25 years and i think i've gotten pretty good at it...and figured out how folks get a lot of tones. the thing i've always liked about eric's work...and qotsa, for that matter...is that the records never sound cookie cutter. they always sound unique, and new and interesting.

we all know how many people use the same stock drum samples and techniques...it's why so much stuff just sounds...the same.

eric's records to me always sound timeless. there is a solid focus on the music and the song and almost never anything that dates them or places them firmly in an era or specific period of time.

to me, that is what CLASSIC record making sounds like.

so, please...keep it up. i love your work and i love seeing these behind the scenes reflections on the making of some of my favorite albums.

oh, and i'm probably not the only one here who would love to hear about deathray. i love that band and those albums.

cheers !!
Old 1 week ago
Mho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
They're on YouTube as well. I had forgotten about this, but it was pretty good.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great thread. This will be my "weekend homework", to try to catch up. I think this is one of the best threads-ever.
Thanks everyone, and EV for all your contributions.

Humble Grasshopper, Chris
Old 1 week ago
Just watched the Stevie Wonder video. Enjoyed his comments about the looseness of the parts...wrong notes, "off" timing etc...but that the parts made an incredible whole...and how he suggests that today all of those things would probably be purged and or aligned to within an inch of their life in the timeline.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Dynamic mic with a healthy 5K peak

Doh, meant to start a new thread. Deleted.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Looking to try to do my EQing at the start of the chain: the mic.

I have a pretty solid collection, but trying to find a mic with a generous peak at 5K, where I usually bump up electric guitar for hard rock.

Any suggestions?
Audix i5, maybe SE V7

I prefer the V7 in general, I haven't used an i5 in a long time. It does have that presence, though.

I'm watching the Stevie Wonder video right now it's pretty great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer View Post
i have to say, i just love this series of video that eric has been doing.

they are so fun and so informative into the record making process.

i'll also have to add that i also totally get why josh and crew may not want the "behind the scenes" of their record out there.

i have always liked the mysteriousness behind QOTSA.

i think that is missing these days from rock and roll...and music.

i can't blame them for not wanting the specifics of the recordings being made public. i get it.

that being said....it's no big deal. it's one album. eric has produced so many incredible albums, i'm sure there is so much more he could share. everything so far has just been amazing and lots of fun.

personally i'd love to know more about the first slash album. i still marvel at how punch and huge and incredible the drums and bass and guitars sound on that album. i just can't figure out how you get those tones.

i've been making records for 25 years and i think i've gotten pretty good at it...and figured out how folks get a lot of tones. the thing i've always liked about eric's work...and qotsa, for that matter...is that the records never sound cookie cutter. they always sound unique, and new and interesting.

we all know how many people use the same stock drum samples and techniques...it's why so much stuff just sounds...the same.

eric's records to me always sound timeless. there is a solid focus on the music and the song and almost never anything that dates them or places them firmly in an era or specific period of time.

to me, that is what CLASSIC record making sounds like.

so, please...keep it up. i love your work and i love seeing these behind the scenes reflections on the making of some of my favorite albums.

oh, and i'm probably not the only one here who would love to hear about deathray. i love that band and those albums.

cheers !!
On that Somewhere Sound interview he talks about using 3 mics in a modified Glyn Johns for that.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Loving these videos. I think everyone would really appreciate a drum tracking video. Detailed info on tuning the drums, preparing them etc. I could see EV being far more detailed and insightful than others.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Loving these videos. I think everyone would really appreciate a drum tracking video. Detailed info on tuning the drums, preparing them etc. I could see EV being far more detailed and insightful than others.

Yeah there are a ton of drum mixing videos, after they've been processed for the most part.

Simon Phillips has some good videos; not surprising, considering his list of credits on drums.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Yeah there are a ton of drum mixing videos, after they've been processed for the most part.

Simon Phillips has some good videos; not surprising, considering his list of credits on drums.
Exactly most videos are after the fact. Particularly interested in Eric Valentine’s approach. Love the drum sounds he gets.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Head
as a drummer who hangs out with musicians your channel is informative to say the least. Subbed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search