The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making Records with Eric Valentine
Old 4 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

New episode on the difference between the Waves J37 plugin vs the real thing!!

In this episode, I show examples of how I used my Studer J37 tape machine on Grace Potter's cover of "I'd Rather Go Blind" and compare it to the Waves plugin. There is also a nice example of recording and mixing a 1 mic drum recording!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzQZwzSHwBc
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

What you did with Saturn... WOW!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Eric,

Could you do one video on bass guitar techniques- EQ, DI, amps, relationship with the kick etc?
Old 4 weeks ago
I've binge watched all of the episodes, awesome stuff!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I love how unpretentious Eric is on these videos. Watching how appreciative he is regarding the talent he's worked with, it's no mystery why he has been so successful. His videos are genuine and what I think people appreciate just being able experience something real and special as he obviously has a great ear and is a creative talent. Great stuff Eric, your videos are inspirational and you are obviously exceptional at what you do. Keep them coming.

Scott
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Subscribed, thanks for sharing your extensive knowledge and skill so freely, and without cost.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

That Dwarves track totally reminds me of the early Beatles music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Just watched the Drum Mixing one... that was great, recommended.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
Hey All!!

I started a new YouTube channel where I do deep dive deconstructions of songs I have worked and other various recording/mixing techniques. I like this outlet because I can actually show what is going on in the Pro Tools sessions and or use other graphics/pictures to really show the details of what happened. I also am having guests join me that were integral parts of the process. I'm only a month into it and it has been super fun. Check it out if you're interested!

All the best,

Eric Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV...FZFDGN8XRzpIrQ
Wow amazing!!!! What mics do u like on toms?
Old 4 weeks ago
Mho
Lives for gear

Amazing Eric, thanks a lot for this. I would like to see some more drum mixing with some Fabfilter Q3 instead of the massenburg eq.
Old 4 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
Wow amazing!!!! What mics do u like on toms?
My favorites have always been AKG C12As. They just sound very natural and BIG. Lately, I have not been using tom mics at all and just capturing them with the overheads.
Old 4 weeks ago
Dude!

Thanks you. This is a great thing you've done.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Nice Eric!
I think I see a Greiner Sum.mation in your rack? Can you explain how it is implemented in your workflow?
Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's another Production Deconstruction!! This time I sit down with the man himself, Blag Dahlia to talk about the recording of the infamous Dwarves song "FEFU". Please be aware that there is A LOT of explicit language and images in this episode. If you can sit through all of Blag and I's blabbering, there is some really good info on how to layer loops and samples with a live drum performance and some cool guitar tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVgQ4099-E&t=185s
So much utterly wonderful info in these videos! WOW! Beautifully explained as well. The chilled out informal format is also inspired. A few possible requests for future videos.

1) Drum tuning
2) Actual drum tracking in that room
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Eric thanks so much for these. I’m eternally grateful. That J37 kicked ass. Could really hear the low mid bloom. I wonder if the plugin could have been thickened with dynamic eq and/or distortion to help it out?
Old 4 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weimar View Post
Nice Eric!
I think I see a Greiner Sum.mation in your rack? Can you explain how it is implemented in your workflow?
Thanks!
The next episode is going to explain all of that
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good stuff Eric, I dig your sounds. Really cool of you to do this, very genuine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Q & A Guest

New Episode on ITB vs OTB

In this episode, I give details on the custom passive summing mixer I built for myself for my latest round of mixing and compare using it vs. staying in the box.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good deal Eric...Going to YouTube.
Thanks again for this
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Have been watching every episode and I enjoy having my mind blown constantly.

I have a question though.

I dont have Saturn and I dont know how it works. Can someone quickly explain why he is catious of how he uses it because of phase correlation? First of all, how is a saturator effecting phase in the first place, and second of all, whats the workflow for using it in that situation, (the drum mix video,) without causing yourself problems.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
WOW Makes me happy I have a sum.mation as well. Eric Valentine is the only other person I know who has one. I also have a crazy nerdy setup with the sum.mation plugged in. So much better with level automation after compression. OK let's be honest EV has a better system than me but hey... I use an x desk and a unit audio passive summing box to do a similar thing with multiple buses but it's less elegant patching than EV. I also pad down the final outputs of the X desk with correct impedance attenuator and then bring back to line level with electrodyne preamps, purely for tone. I'm really into that sound. All in the quest for console like vibe.

Personally, I have the anecdotal impression that the preamp gain on the multiple buses has a bigger effect on tone than the summing itself. I could be totally wrong but would be cool to hear Eric's thoughts. I really love Eric's videos. So amazing! Keep them coming and I will keep loosing sleep watching them
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
Have been watching every episode and I enjoy having my mind blown constantly.

I have a question though.

I dont have Saturn and I dont know how it works. Can someone quickly explain why he is catious of how he uses it because of phase correlation? First of all, how is a saturator effecting phase in the first place, and second of all, whats the workflow for using it in that situation, (the drum mix video,) without causing yourself problems.

Thanks.
The phase thing isn‘t because of the saturation per se, but because of the crossover points where EV’s separating the different (usually 3) frequency bands.
At one point in the drum mix video he explains why he splits them up.
As for the functions of Saturn, there‘s this video:
Old 3 weeks ago
Thanks for doing this Eric. Always loved your work dating back to the T-Ride stuff!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Eric,
I absolutely love your YT series. Thanks so much for sharing your perspective and methods! Have you decided on go-to preamps for each of your summing stages?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The summing mixer episode hurt my head. In a good way. Thanks Eric.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The next episode is going to explain all of that
Hi Eric - thanks for sharing your expertise and experiences!!

On the summing mixer video - when you compared the hardware inserts vs. the hardware on the OTB summing buss, can you clarify :

Did you have the makeup gain mic pre's on the ITB inserts as well - following the comps / processing? In other words, on the ITB mix with hardware inserts -- did you have the compressors followed by makeup gain stages? It seems you would have had to pad down the output of the comps to match the summing buss followed by makeup gain - if in fact you compared that way. I hope that makes sense.... Hit me back if it doesn't. It seems like an apples to oranges comparison if you remove the makeup gain from the equation in the comparisons, as that's where a lot of the magic happens from my experience. THANKS again!!

bp
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Been watching these and they are a joy, a highlight of a lifetime to have you share the inner workings of your craft as thoughtfully and thoroughly as you do.

I particularly enjoyed the SRC song because I always loved the way that whole album was put together, but never thought I’d live to see the day where the creators of it would revisit it in such detail.

Thank you!

Quote:
Hey All!!

I started a new YouTube channel where I do deep dive deconstructions of songs I have worked and other various recording/mixing techniques. I like this outlet because I can actually show what is going on in the Pro Tools sessions and or use other graphics/pictures to really show the details of what happened. I also am having guests join me that were integral parts of the process. I'm only a month into it and it has been super fun. Check it out if you're interested!

All the best,

Eric Valentine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChV...FZFDGN8XRzpIrQ
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the fact that you dont skip any steps is what makes this so intriguing. You are very thorough in ur explanations instead of looking for sponsors and skipping important steps. Spot on man, subscribed, and ive never subscribed to anything on youtube.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just want to chime in as well to echo how amazing these videos are and thank you for taking the time to be so thorough and matter of fact in sharing this knowledge. Also, everything about Undertone carries that same great spirit you’re sharing here— the products are truly awesome, but the support is simply beyond anything I’ve ever experienced in 30 years of buying pro audio. Had a recent reboot of my original run MPEQ1 and the diligence to get things right and stand behind the product was exemplary with such an obvious pride and personal investment in the work. Such a joy to navigate it all with people like Brad and Tim —and don’t want to derail the thread, but just want to shout out that this spirit of sharing passion for advancing knowledge and tools for the trade represents the best of what a community like this is all about!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search