The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which mic to get after 251?
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Which mic to get after 251?

I recently purchased a Upton 251 and I'm curious about opinions on a second mic to get for when it's not right for vocalists. Bonus points for it being a good all-rounder. (Sub $3k)

My first though was a Bock iFet, which seems to be a slightly more mellow fet flavor than the Neumann reissue. I've heard it's good for certain vocalists, and I imagine it would sound pretty different from a 251. My hope is that if the 251 isn't a good match for a vocalist, an iFet might be. Either that or an SM7B!

A Fet 47 also has the added benefit of being useful on higher SPL sources like kick drum, etc.

Any other suggestions for mics to look into that might fill in roles that a 251 wouldn't?
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Check out the Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom. It’s a U47 tube-ish mic. At my studio it regularly beats out the Neumann U47. It sounds better on a way higher percentage of vocalists than the iFet. I was not impressed with it on any vocals I tried it on when I trialed one. The other cocal mic I use a lot is a Brauner VM1 KHE, which is voiced more like a C12/251. When it doesn’t work on a voice, the Regensburg Dom is perfect, and vice-versa. Cathedral Pipes also make a nice U47FET mic as well.
Old 16th June 2019
A u47 style mic is something completely different and should complement a c12/251 style mic. Also a u67 which has more emphasis on mids then the highs and would be a great one fit all mic.

Add a sm7b and i'd say you have a very good mic locker that will fit any style and voice
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also a 44 ribbon, like what Henry R. got, to complement his Bock 251.
Chandler TG, and the Heiserman 47's are way cool too.

Of course, all the other suggestions here (so far) are great too!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Also a 44 ribbon, like what Henry R. got, to complement his Bock 251.
Chandler TG, and the Heiserman 47's are way cool too.

Of course, all the other suggestions here (so far) are great too!
Chris
I was looking at the AEA r44 and r84 as potential options as well. They seemed to overlap to some degree with my 4038's, though my impression is that they are a little brighter and more "balanced" across the spectrum (for ribbons).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How's "your room"? Honestly, it's my biggest limitation currently, being primarily an enthusiast. I realize you may be "sonically decked out".
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
How's "your room"? Honestly, it's my biggest limitation currently, being primarily an enthusiast. I realize you may be "sonically decked out".
Chris
My rooms are pretty small, but for the type of stuff I work on it's not usually a concern. It seems the r44 is one mic that would give me trouble because of it's intense proximity effect, thus the r84 being a theoretically more usable choice.

I'm still leaning towards a FET47 as it seems like one can put it in front of almost anything while it still being a decent vocal mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW 47 style FET's work great on my mellow/bright Baritone.

My stock 219/319's work well on this type of voice, but they don't have quite the "low level detail" of these other premium vocal microphones.
(can be handy as "character microphones though on a given song)

Heiserman H47 FET, and Bock iFet are both terrific IMHO.

I have great respect for "merciful's" comments too BTW.

With the iFet however, I have a different opinion, partly as it two basic sounds...
A "flatter setting", and the "vintagey" FAT switch (I dig that switch on my U195).

I wish I had spent more time on the Cathedral Pipes, at NAMM.
They did sounded excellent to me, for the little time I did spend.

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search