The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mid-Side devices and Phase Issues during Mastering?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mid-Side devices and Phase Issues during Mastering?

Recently a lot of hardware devices allow mid/side processing for eq, compression, etc.

Most decode to mid-side, allow you to mess with things, then convert back in the same box. It's also possible to split into mid-side in DAW, send mid-side out of interface, and send it back in to re-encode.

I've heard its crucial to use linear phase eq when doing this sort of thing ITB, because otherwise can produce phase issues. Might sound great while mixing, but then drive the mastering engineer crazy later on.

I'm guessing there wouldn't be this new spate of hardware mid-side devices if using them would sound great in the moment, but make it really rough to master your tracks after. I've tried reading threads on mid-side and phase issues, but a lot deal with ITB stuff.

Is mid-side hardware ok if the device is relatively transparent in regard to phase issues? Is there hardware that is being produced today that's mid-side that needs to be used only with utmost care (and what would that mean then?) or best avoided?

What's best practices here, and the stuff you need to keep in mind to avoid issues later when using mid-side hardware devices?
Old 4 weeks ago
All M/S processing, be it ITB or hardware, should be used with the utmost care. It's strong medicine and easily overdone. Cuidado!

It's only rough on the ME if you misuse it. That will depend on your skills, ears and monitoring environment. If you know what to listen for then you should be OK with trusting your ears.

A correlation meter is a good tool to have running when you mess with M/S. There are some plugin meters that show correlation by frequency. Also, frequent use of the mono button is advisable.

But in a mixing scenario, why do you want M/S processing when you have all the individual tracks at your fingertips?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
All M/S processing, be it ITB or hardware, should be used with the utmost care. It's strong medicine and easily overdone. Cuidado!

It's only rough on the ME if you misuse it. That will depend on your skills, ears and monitoring environment. If you know what to listen for then you should be OK with trusting your ears.

A correlation meter is a good tool to have running when you mess with M/S. There are some plugin meters that show correlation by frequency. Also, frequent use of the mono button is advisable.

But in a mixing scenario, why do you want M/S processing when you have all the individual tracks at your fingertips?
Thanks for the advice! It's more that manufacuters are coming out with more and more mid/side gear, then listening to video, I'm like, that sounds cool, curious to try it, but don't want to mess anything up in the process! for example, curious to check out a clariphonic lately, but the new model has mid/side. which one to check out? mid/side version costs a little more, but if its a useful tool, great, but if its something I don't need or could mess up tracks, then best going with the original.

I'm only recording my own stuff, so I'm relatively new to mixing to a semi-professional level for sharing with others, so my ear is in the 'just developing' stage. A correlation meter would be helpful then, didn't realize there was a way to check this. What do you need to look for with it? Perhaps I should post in the mastering forum as well, even just to get how mastering engineers find this causes problems for them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search