The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Suggestions for next upgrade
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Suggestions for next upgrade

I've looked through some of the other upgrade suggestion threads but couldn't find one where the starting point was similar to mine. I have been working a lot recently and have 2k-3k coming in this summer that I want to spend on upgrading my gear.

Currently I have these units:
- Neve 1073
- Sytek MPX-4A (for drums)
- 1176 compressor
- Roland Space Echo 201.

I also have a few good mics (U87, AKG C414, Sennheiser MD421, SM7B) etc.

My interface is nothing special (Audiobox 1818VSL) but I am not sure whether getting something else is going to yield dramatically improved results. I was thinking about getting a second compressor (LA2A?), a tube preamp or maybe a distortion thing such as the Thermionic Culture Vulture or maybe a Distressor. What would be the natural next choice?

Btw: I mostly record rock music and I wish everything sounded like it did in the 60s/70s
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
Any workhorse ribbon (Coles 4038, AEA 84, Royer 121)
Tube LDC (Advanced Audio is great bang/buck)
Inner tube mod for your U87

In general, Tube LDC, and Ribbon mic's will have the largest impact on results IMHO.
Depending on what you like, a very high end SDC is another good tool. I went for Sony C55P to cover this ground. KM84's have become very expencive.

The first series of Groove tube mic's often go for a reasonable price. MD1, MD2, MD3 because there later stuff (Alesis)was crap. Dont get the 1B, that's later stuff.

A Great Tube preamp would help with the mic's you have. Locomotive, Furn, Coil, Vipre, many others.

Processing:
Audioscape LA2A
Any Eventide flagship. 4000 series are a resaonable cost.
UAD Octo card -Great reverbs and EQ's
Distressor is not a bad choice, but that ground may be better covered with plugs.

The difficult one is analog EQ. Good ones are not cheap.
I suggest looking around Revive Audio for Preamps/compressors.

For bass DI & Keyboard tracks a high end DI is a good tool. ZOD or Reddi.

Last edited by elegentdrum; 15th June 2019 at 05:50 PM..
Old 15th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Any workhorse ribbon (Coles 4038, AEA 84, Royer 121)
Tube LDC (Advanced Audio is great bang/buck)
Inner tube mod for your U87

In general, Tube LDC, and Ribbon mic's will have the largest impact on results IMHO.

Audioscape LA2A
Any Eventide flagship. 4000 series are the cheapest.
UAD Octo card -Great reverbs and EQ's
Distressor is not a bad choice, but that ground may be better covered with plugs.

The difficult one is analog EQ. Good ones are not cheap.
Thank you so much! I was thinking about some of these things myself already and I actually sent Max Kircher (ioaudio) an email last week because I wanted the mod for my U87, but I have yet to hear anything back. Is the innertube available new or do I have to wait for a used one to turn up on ebay? I already have UAD plugins also - I forgot to mention. I only have the small Arrow one which runs out of DSP constantly though.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear
I am also waiting on the next round of intter tube mods. He is out of stock currently. I recently purchased my first real U87.
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
I am also waiting on the next round of intter tube mods. He is out of stock currently. I recently purchased my first real U87.
Do you know if Innertube is a better choice than Ioaudio's U67 tube mod?
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

+1 on coles 4038, if you’re after 60/70s vibe. A pair with a good eq will go a long way and may be around your budget.
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraburner View Post
+1 on coles 4038, if you’re after 60/70s vibe. A pair with a good eq will go a long way and may be around your budget.
Thanks. How versatile are they? Googling around it seems people primarily use them on drums as OHs or room mics. And do you need a pair? How useful is one Cole 4038 in itself?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Well I’m using mine on more and more sources- acoustic gtr alongside something brighter is an excellent yin-yang.

Brass sounds awesome too. Even used on vocals (not often mind you) when the singer wanted a really warm vintage tone- had a u87 up too and was a lovely blend.

They’re heavy as **** though so budget for a good stand.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks View Post
Thanks. How versatile are they? Googling around it seems people primarily use them on drums as OHs or room mics. And do you need a pair? How useful is one Cole 4038 in itself?
A coles is one endpoint of the spectrum. Nothing else is like it. A 44 or Ru4 are better, but not as far on the color spectrum and significantly more $$.

A single 4038 is good for:
Mono overhead
Mid-Side as the sides for room mic's w/ your best LDC tube mic.
outside Kick
Thick guitar cab (use a pop filter)
Vocals for a sparce mix with the right voice.

Let's say you had all 3 workhorse ribbons.
4038 is first choice for overhead, it rolls of the cymbals just right
The 121 is first choice for Guitar cab, captures the fastest transient of the 3
The 84 is first choice for vocal when you want a ribbon sound. well rounded, if you can only get one, this one would be used the most often.

All 3 work well as overheads and guitar cab and vocals. The 4038 offers the most color. My fav mic in the world, but it does not cover as much ground as the 84.

I went for a Pair of 4038 and a pair of RM5 for use on guitar cabs. Have to draw the line somewhere

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search