All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
R84, 1073, or Opto?
Old 15th June 2019
R84, 1073, or Opto?

Whatup Slutz.. My current vocal chain is:

Miktek C7 LDC
Daking MicPre/EQ
Daking FET 3

I'm happy with it but would like to see how a change in the chain might sound.

Something a little thicker or slower maybe. I'm interested in the following:

AEA R84 Ribbon
BAE 1073
La2a

What would be your first choice of these as an option to work into the current chain?

Thanks!
Old 15th June 2019
The LA2A of course...the tank...the classic...the holy grail. Or so this noob has heard.

By the way, my vocal chain goes like this:

Neumann U87ai
Daking MicPre/eq
Daking Fet 3

How do you like the Daking stuff...how do you describe the signature of the pre and comp, respectively?
Old 15th June 2019
I think following the Fet 3 with the LA2A would be nice. Definitely hard to go wrong with the LA2A. It seems like the Mic might have the biggest influence overall, but not necessarily the best.

I love Daking and especially the EQ. The signature of both units is HiFi and pleasant to me. The low end is super tight, the comp is classsy, the pre edgy.

How do you find the U87 to pair up? What's your take on the Daking stuff?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Faced with that choice, I‘d go for the compressor first as well. Because you can add it, instead of it simply replacing the existing comp.
Adding it to your chain and playing with the order of things will increase its versatility immensely.
The next step would be to change the mic, and I‘d change the pre/eq last.
Old 15th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookmoof View Post
I think following the Fet 3 with the LA2A would be nice. Definitely hard to go wrong with the LA2A. It seems like the Mic might have the biggest influence overall, but not necessarily the best.

I love Daking and especially the EQ. The signature of both units is HiFi and pleasant to me. The low end is super tight, the comp is classsy, the pre edgy.

How do you find the U87 to pair up? What's your take on the Daking stuff?

Thanks
I'm a big fan of the U87ai...I've mostly used it with a UA LA 610mkii.

To be honest, I have the Daking FET 3 and the MicPre/Eq...but haven't used them in anything as yet...only got them a few months ago and unfortunately my home studio won't be operational for another year.

I've done very basic tests with them and researched quite a while before plunging in and getting them. The eq on the pre seems very powerful. I've tested with an AEA N22 ribbon mic and liked what I heard on vocals and acoustic guitar.

What do you make of the FET 3 gain makeup at +11db?? Does that seem a bit low?

I tried the FET 3 on a mix. Sounded fine to me but haven't really sunk my teeth into either Daking unit yet.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

My basic rules of thumb in a vocal chain is that, the further away from your mouth, the less difference it makes. I would certainly try the R84 to make the biggest change in your current sound. Then the pre (although the Daking is a wonderful sounding piece) and then the compressor. All will make a difference but changing the mic should make the biggest alteration.

As always, YMMV.
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

I agree with Burp.

The R84 is a pretty great mic and the Daking pre/eq is a good pairing with it on top of that. It is fundamentally going to have a pretty weighty sound.
Old 16th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post

What do you make of the FET 3 gain makeup at +11db?? Does that seem a bit low?
The makeup gain has never been a problem. I like the 610 too btw.

And thank you all for the other responses. It does seem that the Daking would be a nice pre to match with the R84.

As far as the effects being reduced further down the chain form the singer - I'm not quite sure about that. I just feel like comps even at the end of the chain can be heavy on the color. Do you think changing from a Daking pre to a 1073 would have a bigger impact than adding an LA2A?

How would you compare the results of this gear on the sound despite the fact they are functionally different pieces? I've heard the 1073 and LA2A both described as slow. Are they slow in the same way?
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Get the r84. Daking and any AEA mics are a match made in heaven. Daking is my first choice with ribbons.

I own the r84 as well as a Heritage EQ73 and prefer the Daking with it.

Use the La2a plugin at the end of your mixing chain if you want that flavor. It's pretty close to the HW.
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Or so this noob has heard.
No noob here..

I used the link to your soundcloud page and I dig your stuff. I hear Dylan, Cohen, Reed, Television...

Who else are your influences?
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

To the OP:
My little homily about distance down the chain really is factual. While I'm not trying to minimalize the difference a compressor or mic pre can make (and lord knows I own a bunch of both), swap mics and you immediately hear the difference. Stay with one mic and swap pres and you'll notice the difference but it generally isn't as stark a change as the mic swap. Likewise with the compressor. (You may well hear the difference in the way the compressor actually works, but I'm referring to the tonality.) And, in the usual order of the chain, you'll generally notice alterations in the timbre of the pre more than swapping out the compressor.

Everything matters, but the closer to your face you spend the money, the more likely you are to immediately notice the change.

As always, YMMV.
Old 17th June 2019
My chain is an R84 > Weight Tank WT-72 > HCL Solution 2 (LA2A)

A nice warm full sound I get from it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search