The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ridiculous cliches about mixing (serious, sensitive people please avoid)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Ridiculous cliches about mixing (serious, sensitive people please avoid)

If you take yourself and your job too seriously and can't take criticism please leave this thread immediately.

For the rest, please don't get offended if someone (me or else) says something you strongly disagree with, it's just personal opinions and nothing else. I'm gonna say mine, you say yours, even if I disagree with yours I'm not gonna fight you here or try to convince you you're wrong. This thread is for entertainment/stress relief purpose only so let's keep it light and/or funny if you can do funny.

I don't mean to offend anyone, if I do, I apologize in advance.

Ok, this is what gets me every single time.

"Mix with emotion".

Sorry, but this is the silliest thing ever. There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing. Only delusion of such. I think it's that some people who desperately try to make them look like they're doing something more than just technical work, something bigger, something greater, something enormous!

No. A composer puts emotion into a song. You're just doing housekeeping. Cleaning after a party. Putting things into place, taking the garbage out. That's all you (I, we) do.

A mixer who says he mixes with "emotion" is just as funny as a maid who says she's cleaning the rooms with "emotion". Like, vacuuming with all her heart... Or wait, she also rearranged napkins on the table, that's equivalent of changing the sound a little with plugins. Definitely made the phone/ pen/napkin arrangement on the table more artistic (in her mind). A work of art. /sarcasm

That's not emotion though. It's just modifying things that already exist. 100% technical work. Just cause you have lots of tools at your disposal and countless way you can use them doesn't mean there's any emotion in that.

I mix. Zero emotion in this. Tons of fun. But no emotion. I'm just listening to the sound and twisting knobs and pushing sliders. Yep, zero emotion. No more than when I fix plumbing. Or mow the lawn.

"Emotion".

Ok, that's my thing. Heard this in so many "how to" youtube videos it makes steam come out of my ears. Thank you for listening.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
I mix. Zero emotion in this. Tons of fun. But no emotion. I'm just listening to the sound and twisting knobs and pushing sliders. Yep, zero emotion. No more than when I fix plumbing. Or mow the lawn.

"Emotion".
Mine is people insisting that mixing should be about having "fun".
Just like fixing the plumbing or mowing the lawn, right?

However, I do get what you're saying, but I think that it has more to do with people using the wrong words and/or others parrotting things around.
I imagine (hope) that people are passionate about their job, which is not the same as being emotional.
Loving and enjoying your work also doesn't automatically mean having fun all the time, if at all.

Using your example; a gardener hopefully loves and enjoys his/her job and is passionate about his/her work, though that is something different than him/her getting emotional about cutting/killing the grass or having fun, doing wheelies on the lawn mower.

I only hope my comments are as witty and light as I think they are, writing them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
If you take yourself and your job too seriously and can't take criticism please leave this thread immediately.
Goodbye!!

Ok im back
Quote:
Sorry, but this is the silliest thing ever. There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing. Only delusion of such.
Ummm, yes and no. When you mix a song, you have to know how you want the listener to feel (AKA emotion), so you will add effects and mix the song in such a way to portray that to the listener.
an example is the type of reverb and compressor you can use for the vocal. If you want to portray aggressive, then you would choose a reverb, compressor and maybe saturation to sound that way.

Its tricky yo say that you do not mix with emotion from what i stated above and emotion has a lot to do with the final sound of the mix.

If i'm in a good mood, the mix can sound better, because its proven scientifically that people in a good mood work better than people in a bad mood
Quote:
I mix. Zero emotion in this. Tons of fun. But no emotion.
Fun is an emotion and i bet when you have fun, your mixes are better, than if you where having the worst day in your life
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I take this very seriously. On the other hand, I'm married and I work in advertising and my spouse and most of my clients are still alive, so you know I can take criticism.

Quote:
There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing.
This mindset is a great "trick" for learning to suck at it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am not a pro so take my response as what it is....

I enjoy mixing most of the time therefore I have fun doing it. I enjoy having a vision and being able to achieve the sounds that I desire.

To be fair, somtimes it is not fun as for example when I have worked on a mix only to discover that in its current state that I think it sucks. This does not happen all that often anymore but it has happened.

Most of the time I do enjoy it so I definitely have fun. To me mixing is all about the creative process which is something I seem to need to feel fulfilled and happy. I look forward to mixing.

Since I am not a pro maybe I cannot comprehend why mixing would not be fun. I suppose when pro's get crap to work with it is not fun but I bet mixing really good tunes and really good performances of good tunes would more than likely be a lot of fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Emotion is between 1k and 7k. Power is between 50Hz and 150Hz. But clarity is found between 500Hz and 900Hz. You heard it here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

Quite. lol. Surreal thread.

OP, if you're mixing like cleaning after a party, you're laying frequency puzzles, not mixing music.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

some people say that riding a horse is a piece of cake. but it just isn't.

this is a horse.

and this is a piece of cake.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Piece of cake hurts less when it steps on your foot.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you cry during mixing, are you not mixing with emotion?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
Not sure. I cringe fairly often -- does that count?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
There's a fine line between expressing your feelings and blubbering
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Not sure. I cringe fairly often -- does that count?
How about swearing?

Last edited by Aural Endeavors; 4 weeks ago at 07:22 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Piece of cake hurts less when it steps on your foot.
I can be a witness to that... :-(
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Mix with emotion".

Sorry, but this is the silliest thing ever. There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing.
Oof, couldn't disagree more. I can't think of mixing as anything OTHER than paying extra, extra close attention to emotion, otherwise what the heck are we even doing? Nothing else matters. It's like the person who's seen thousands and thousands of trees, but never seen a forest. Heartbreaking.

I implore you to rethink this! A lot of the early Dave Pensado videos taught me so much about this topic. "You're selling your taste, not your skill." Mix with your heart first, ears second, and eyes not at all. How's that for a cliche? Haha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

From the 1966 heist film comedy "After The Fox"...

Harry (Martin Balsam) Suspiciously asks... "Can I see a script?"

Frederico Frabrizi (Peter Sellers) posing as a Italian neo-realist Director...Responds "In here is my script (points to head), in here is my story" (hand over heart)!

Brilliante!
Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
“Your mix is only as good as your herb”. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

"Mix with emotion".

Sorry, but this is the silliest thing ever. There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing.
As a mixer you can choose to be aware of the emotional content of the song and choose to follow it, and work with it, or you can choose to think that your job is 100% "technical" and completely independent of the emotional content of the song. The reality is that while the musicians and composers may have put the emotion in there, the mixer has a wide range of abilities and opportunities to enhance or obscure the musician's intent.

As Brent says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn
You rarely get a good mix when a mixer doesn't 'get' the song. Or when he looks down upon the music.

Quote:
...Cleaning after a party. ...Taking the garbage out.
When I am the one recording the tracks, there is no 'mess' to clean up. I am tracking with the mix in mind. And fortunately for me, most of the tracks that get sent to me don't need a lot. In any case, I don't really think of my Mix as even "starting" until after things are cleaned up.

Quote:
people who desperately try to make them look like they're doing something more than just technical work, something bigger, something greater, something enormous!
There is no doubt that some recording engineers can exaggerate their importance to the final product, the whole "my name is on it" thing. We are working a service occupation. But the idea that there is no need to be working with the emotional content of song uppermost in your mind? That's just wacky talk.

Quote:
Heard this in so many "how to" youtube videos it makes steam come out of my ears.
Ah, well if your experience in the field of mixing is still based largely around watching dozens of 'how to' YouTube videos, you are still a newb. You can be excused for having some strange ideas. Obviously all the working engineers in those videos are deliberately trying to lead you astray.

As difficult as this might be to grasp, those people did not themselves learn how to mix watching YouTube videos, because back then there was no such thing as YouTube.

Quote:
Nobody's offended. You are just way off-base that's all. It is a bit off-putting to be lectured to by an obvious newbie that: "THIS IS HOW THE WORLD WORKS". But it's so obviously incorrect that I just laugh it off.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just like, mix with your heart, bro
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
some people say that riding a horse is a piece of cake. but it just isn't.

this is a horse.

and this is a piece of cake.

If you put the piece of cake ON the horse then a piece of cake IS riding a horse.

Jus’ sayin’.

Last edited by Zyzygis; 4 weeks ago at 01:51 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It goes without saying if you are calling people who aren’t serious sensitive people that your subset of posters probably don’t mix with much passion or emotion.

I would say that when I was handed a turd to polish is when I enjoyed the challenge the most if the music connected to me. There was always an emotion involved with mixing. I found I could get on someone else’s frequency and roll with it.

It’s when the business I got when the economy hit the [email protected] that I was constantly doing non-live music gigs that my heart wasn’t in to it anymore. It’s not that I was only the glamour gig, it’s that the crap I was recording was sucking all the joy out of it.

I decided I would rather drive a truck than do that. So I did. My love of music and my passion for what I am doing is still intact. In fact I found it was time to work on my own.

My mentor once joked that most everyone who started a small studio had the vision of recording there own music too. (Much laughter, head shaking and hand wringing)

Pat
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
"Real men don't use EQ" -Implication: pick the right mic and place it in the right spot, you will need the least EQ and have the most natural sounding results.

"Good songs make you move" If you listen to a song and it does not make you move....it sucks.

The suck button.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridiculous cliches about mixing (serious, sensitive people please avoid)-raymond.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
I think you can work to capture the emotion of a song without being emotional (in a material sense) yourself. Mixing is technical but also creative, so I don't think it's quite as mundane as house chores. I can certainly understand someone taking a more cerebral approach to it while others may lean more toward artistic notions. Either way they both play a part.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

For the rest, please don't get offended if someone (me or else) says something you strongly disagree with, it's just personal opinions and nothing else. I'm gonna say mine, you say yours, even if I disagree with yours I'm not gonna fight you here or try to convince you you're wrong. This thread is for entertainment/stress relief purpose only so let's keep it light and/or funny if you can do funny.

"Mix with emotion".

Sorry, but this is the silliest thing ever. There's no such thing as "emotion" in mixing. Only delusion of such. I think it's that some people who desperately try to make them look like they're doing something more than just technical work, something bigger, something greater, something enormous!

No. A composer puts emotion into a song. You're just doing housekeeping. Cleaning after a party. Putting things into place, taking the garbage out. That's all you (I, we) do.

A mixer who says he mixes with "emotion" is just as funny as a maid who says she's cleaning the rooms with "emotion". Like, vacuuming with all her heart... Or wait, she also rearranged napkins on the table, that's equivalent of changing the sound a little with plugins. Definitely made the phone/ pen/napkin arrangement on the table more artistic (in her mind). A work of art. /sarcasm

That's not emotion though. It's just modifying things that already exist. 100% technical work. Just cause you have lots of tools at your disposal and countless way you can use them doesn't mean there's any emotion in that.

"Emotion".

Ok, that's my thing. Heard this in so many "how to" youtube videos it makes steam come out of my ears. Thank you for listening.
I don’t think that word means what you think it does
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

"Mix with emotion".
How about twisting it into:
Artists/nobodies: ''Make our emotions in HD/4K!''
?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Reminds me of the princess bride. "inconceivable!"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I believe our clients actually have fun -- just mixing on the faders. No WAV's/ Screen -- just a "hands-on" approach . And its all automated faders... So much more involved in their final mix ..
Old 4 weeks ago
“Mix with emotion” is as bad as telling a singer to “try one from the heart now”. Lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have yet to meet a musician or audio creative who didn't sound like themselves in their output.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seeing this and another thread I‘d say there‘s a new troll in town.
And I say this not based on emotion, but on cold, factual, empirical observation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search