The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Things you wish the gear makers would make or could have done better
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Things you wish the gear makers would make or could have done better

Well it’s obvious that Gearslutz’s members are very important to gear makers now. Our posts are even mentioned in advertising now. So with the ear of the gear makers maybe it’s time we step up and positively critique past gear wants or gear we would like to see in the future.

I personally want a roll out drum cage that contains all of the mics we use for recording drums, on adjustable flex tube type arms with a snake that fans out and hooks up the microphones and whose leads can be clipped securely on the frame of the cage.

The cage then can be rolled out onto the floor slid into the drum set where the individual mics can be fine tuned for positioning (unless you use a house kit that doesn’t change) and the snake plugged into whatever you personally use to transport XLR inputs to the control room.

No more junk pile of stands and cables everywhere, having to compromise because you can’t get the good angle on a stiff arm of a stand, and not being able to repeat a setup the next day.

Also on the OH arms there would be simple measurements in inches/cm on the arms so you would be able to tell how far apart and how high have you that perfect sound out of the OHs.

Your turn...

Pat
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted be0883d
song modes on everything
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
Well it’s obvious that Gearslutz’s members are very important to gear makers now. Our posts are even mentioned in advertising now. So with the ear of the gear makers maybe it’s time we step up and positively critique past gear wants or gear we would like to see in the future.

I personally want a roll out drum cage that contains all of the mics we use for recording drums, on adjustable flex tube type arms with a snake that fans out and hooks up the microphones and whose leads can be clipped securely on the frame of the cage.

The cage then can be rolled out onto the floor slid into the drum set where the individual mics can be fine tuned for positioning (unless you use a house kit that doesn’t change) and the snake plugged into whatever you personally use to transport XLR inputs to the control room.

No more junk pile of stands and cables everywhere, having to compromise because you can’t get the good angle on a stiff arm of a stand, and not being able to repeat a setup the next day.

Also on the OH arms there would be simple measurements in inches/cm on the arms so you would be able to tell how far apart and how high have you that perfect sound out of the OHs.

Your turn...

Pat

Its easily made. You can just taker any drum cage and put wheels on it and then get clamps and parts for the mics.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Your turn...
Okay, I'll play. I'd like to see more LDC tube/transformer mics designed in the fashion of the AKG C12A. Small and lightweight. Having spent a lot of time around great-sounding nuvistor-modded U47's, that's a tradeoff I'm very comfortable with. And in the main, I think mics that are bigger than the performer's head are stupid.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

wish somebody would take the SSL style HPF and just make that in a plug-in...
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Head

A rack mounted tape recorder.

Not with those two rolls of tape typically found in larger tape machines, but a single, short 1/4” tape that records and plays and erases in loop at the same time

That would give you the possibility to “record” your tracks in tape before getting to the DAW, and to process busses and final mixes through it.

Just like an echoplex but instead of used as a delay, used as a tape machine for recording.

Something like this but rack mounted, and done specifically for recording and not designed as a delay.

Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post

Not with those two rolls of tape typically found in larger tape machines, but a single, short 1/4” tape that records and plays and erases in loop at the same time

That would give you the possibility to “record” your tracks in tape before getting to the DAW, and to process busses and final mixes through it.

Just like an echoplex but instead of used as a delay, used as a tape machine for recording.

Something like this but rack mounted, and done specifically for recording and not designed as a delay.

That's a brilliant idea.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wish manufacturers would adopt a standard of putting power cords on one side of a rack mount device and critical audio ins and outs on the other side and be consistent. It drives me nuts when working on rack tidying.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post

Its easily made. You can just taker any drum cage and put wheels on it and then get clamps and parts for the mics.
Yes that is the idea. It was the original DW cages that inspired me to think of this. Thank you for the pics and inspiration!

As well I picture about 3 horizontal bars around the cage to give you complete coverage with mic placements as well as a bottom rung for the outside kick mic.

I dreamed up this particular derivation of drum cages so that all the mics would face towards the drum kit and be equidistant from the kit if desired, taking away the need for polarity checks and time based smearing.

As well the system is a more natural listeners POV of the kit and the speaker excursion would be correct for all mics unless you mic direct and the head is moving away from the mic, you would then need to flip polarity.

Lastly, I would be tempted to want to back the cage away from the kit for more depth and less direct miking. This gives you options on a song to song basis.

Pat
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Loving this thread! Keep em coming.

Pat
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Another thing I would love to see is a tabletop 24 or 16 track tape machine based on the simplicity of the Stephens machines. With carbon fiber sides and deck and using today’s technology. It could be portable and it could have card options like a Radar machine as far as ins and outs.

Above the deck would be a Raven MTI that could display metering for the tape deck as well as transport and punch ins etc...plus control your DAW all from one place.

You could also see a digital waveform representation on the screen of the audio on the tape and be able to do place markers and punch in points, and even splice tape accurately with an automate blade on the tape deck.

And of course the MTI would be the sync between the DAW and the tape deck. So when you offload the first 16 or 24 tracks you can start recording again with no worries about the synch between the DAW and the tape machine just by locking to bars and beats and using a click track.

I think that would be way cool. And if you could keep the price point to the scale of the Radar Studio machines, putting them in a comfortable range financially to purchase one for consumers.

Well there is another pipe dream for the gear manufacturers. I do believe there would be a high demand for the machine.

I also believe the noise floor could be improved on the tape machines and with the new tape formulation allowing an even denser formula right now, you could run at
15 ips with no problems.

Pat

Pat
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wish someone would come up with a spot on plugin version of the ADT used by the Beatles.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I wish someone would come up with a spot on plugin version of the ADT used by the Beatles.
Not the Waves Abbey Road ADT?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Not the Waves Abbey Road ADT?
I have not tried the Waves ADT so have no idea how accurate it is - I did not like their licensing so stopped using their products years ago. Is it the real deal? All other so called ADT plugins that I have auditioned have been lacking by a large margin.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have not tried the Waves ADT so have no idea how accurate it is - I did not like their licensing so stopped using their products years ago. Is it the real deal? All other so called ADT plugins that I have auditioned have been lacking by a large margin.
I haven't tried it yet either.

I own Abbey Road Plates, Abbey Road Chambers, and the TG Mastering Chain, they are all excellent plugins.

So I can vouch for the series.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I own Abbey Road Plates, Abbey Road Chambers, and the TG Mastering Chain, they are all excellent plugins.

If you ever do try it please let me know what you think. As stated, I dropped Waves and opted for UAD2. If this is good, I might consider buying it. The issue with the ones I have tried is they just do not get the phasing right that made it work so well - they all sounded like digital delays with "issues" instead of ADT.

To me there is nothing like the sound of John Lennon singing through ADT. I just love it!
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you ever do try it please let me know what you think. As stated, I dropped Waves and opted for UAD2. If this is good, I might consider buying it. The issue with the ones I have tried is they just do not get the phasing right that made it work so well - they all sounded like digital delays with "issues" instead of ADT.

To me there is nothing like the sound of John Lennon singing through ADT. I just love it!
Stop what you are doing and demo it right now!

Waves is currently running a big sale also.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Design for serviceability. Service manuals and any non-standard or proprietary components available for purchase.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks for that info. I sprung for the Abbey Road Chambers when it went down to $29.99 again. I really needed a plug in just for a great room type verb.

I thought hard about the Abbey Road Mastering Chain but went for the L3-Ultra Maximizer.

Could you tell me if the Mastering Chain plugs are able to get a song up to current day Mastering apparent volume?

Thanks for the info,

Pat
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear
There should be a standard for internal power supplies. One problem that apperantly many equipment designers struggle with is getting power supplies listed with UL, CE, whom ever.

If they would stadardize the interface and make power supplies in a single size with interface options, equipment designers may have an easier time.

What makes this difficult is some equipment needs 2 voltates, some need 5. And of course the sources vary by country. But can't we pick a size and interface that would allow one company to make power supplies and others to make equipment with a standard INTERNAL power supply.

As a starting point. 1.3" tall, 3" wide, 12" deep. up to 5 voltages for the equipment. -48. -24. 0. +24. +48. The cheaper ones would not use the +-48 connections. at 1.3" tall, it can slip inside a standard 1U sheet metal box.

Next you standardize interfaces & controls.
5 transports buttons The size used on the Nuclues
EQ layout...Softube Control 1 as a starting point
Compressor Layout....have to think on that one
Channel strip controls designed to work in pairs for stereo or to edit two tracks at once.
Then build those control protocols into the MIDI rev2 standard. HUI & mackie control setups are dated.

A pair of softube controlers with transports would be very close to what I am suggesting.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Island View Post
wish somebody would take the SSL style HPF and just make that in a plug-in...
SSL Native.....it's done already. Just not free.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I sprung for the Abbey Road Chambers when it went down to $29.99 again. I really needed a plug in just for a great room type verb.

I thought hard about the Abbey Road Mastering Chain but went for the L3-Ultra Maximizer.

Could you tell me if the Mastering Chain plugs are able to get a song up to current day Mastering apparent volume?

Thanks for the info,

Pat
I personally use a combination of track, bus, and mix bus compression, with sometimes some clipping, and then a master limiter which for me is always Newfangled Elevate Limiter. To get "modern loudness" you have to work in stages rather than trying to get it all from a single processor.

In my chain, the TG could adopt the role of the mix bus compressor.

The "Modern" limiter setting is fairly neutral sounding, so maybe you could get a lot of loudness out of it, I haven't tried using it that way. There is also a "Limiter" option there I haven't tried. I've already got that covered with Elevate.

The big draw for me with the TG Mastering is the wonderful EQ section.

I can't currently afford a UAD Chandler Curve Bender (which I love) so I use this one in sort of the same fashion. The Waves TG has the benefit of Mid/Side EQ which I do use, and the stereo spread which is nice in small doses.

I usually blend in some parallel compression on the TG, just a little for color.

Usually I don't touch the Tape Equalizer on master bus. Maybe it would be useful on an individual instrument.

Filters obviously are useful also.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post

Yeah, this is a good idea if they could get it sounding better than a cassette deck. Actually, they already exist as those cart machines that radio used to use... Audicord, Fidelipac and ITC machines; some of the latest models sounded pretty good if memory serves.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stop what you are doing and demo it right now!

Waves is currently running a big sale also.
Thanks for the tip - I am however in the process of relocating so I may not be able to take advantage of the Waves sale as the toys are not yet set up. Sigh....
Old 14th June 2019
I'd be happy if everything made was pin 2 hot.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wish more gear makers would engage with test equipment and anechoic chambers where applicable.

Lots of wack ass cobbled together gear with weird ass peaks and dips out there.

Similarly, I wish manufacturers would engage with the professional tradition of printing frequency response, and other salient specifications.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I'd be happy if everything made was pin 2 hot.
What modern gear have you encountered that isn't?

Only things I've run into that are 3-hot have been generic Asian tube mic power supplies (there are tons of those).
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

I wish someone would make the old style windscreens that would fit on C12s...that are basically like a huge SM58 windscreen. And go ahead and make them for a few of the common mic body sizes.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Guru

I want a cheaper version of what the Dynamount robot microphone placement arm is. Too rich for my blood, must be possible to do for less, surely.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I want a cheaper version of what the Dynamount robot microphone placement arm is. Too rich for my blood, must be possible to do for less, surely.
Definitely possible to do it for more.

Things you wish the gear makers would make or could have done better-0f2186a0-83a4-4270-b624-4f07cee4f450.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Things you wish the gear makers would make or could have done better-0f2186a0-83a4-4270-b624-4f07cee4f450.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search