The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear gonna suit me best?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
What gear gonna suit me best?

Hello there I got big question, I want to upgrade my home studio at the moment i got:

-Rode nt1a
-Focusrite scarlett solo
And also i got studio monitors Yamaha Hs5

i got about 1.5k euro to spend
so... my plan was to get
-Neumann tlm102 as new mic
-Gap pre73 as my new pre amp ( i never had one)

and i gonna still have about 700/800eur left, and i dont know what audio interface should i get, i was thinking to upgrade my focusrite scarlett solo to 2i4 and plug gap pre73 into 2i4, but also im considering about getting behringer x touch or behringer x2442 , but i dont know if i can plug it like that :

neumann tlm102 -> gap pre73 -> beheringer xtouch(or x2442) - pc

or it must be like that

neumann tlm 102 -> gap pre 73 -> focusrite scarlett 2i4 -> beheringer xtouch(or x2442) -> pc?

Please help! Also is this gonna be good setup for rap/rnb/pop recording? in future im thinking about building small studio, so im starting to collect gear, thanks
Old 1 week ago
Honestly, you might either want to just keep saving or decide where the weakest link in your setup is and start there.

The 2i4 gives you another input but seems like a lateral move sonically, and functionally. Something like an RME or Apollo interface would probably be more of an upgrade that you could grow into. Not sure you have enough for a big step up mic wise, and I can’t speak to the difference between and NT1 and a TLM 102, but if you can’t audition them side by side I’d be cautious about blowing half your budget on one.. personally. GAP pre is presumably a step up from the build in scarlett pre, but I’m just not sure how much room there is to grow into it, and I personally always look for pieces that I expect to serve long term, and a real step-up interface wise may render something like the GAP redundant .. but again, I can’t say for-sure because I haven’t used one. My foray into “mid-range” standalone mic pres was a BLA Auteur, which I felt I outgrew too quickly (it’s not bad with a higher output mic, but I found it too noisy on quieter sources, esp. compared with any of the high-end pres I’ve gotten since. It never got used so I gave it to a friend). Something like a Neve or BAE 1073 preamp will take you much further down that path imo.

I recognize at this point I’ve done a terrible job answering your question, and no matter what you end up with, none of it is required to make great music, so feel free to completely disregard.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
damn im so confused right now i might stay with rode nt1a instead of getting new one..

but what audio interface would you upgrade to from fucusrite scarlett solo if you would like to add up preamp to your studio let say one that i wanted ?
my budget for interface is 400 +/-

also my plan of upgrade is because i want to put as much as i can into music, and things like getting new gear are always good motivation
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Put the money into room acoustics.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You should read more about Gear! Why do you think about getting a Behringer X-touch, if you don't even know that it is a DAW-controler and has no ins for any instruments. I mean what made you consider to buy it if you don't even know what it is?
Then you ask if you should buy a cheap mixing desk from Behringer OR the X-touch as if these were alternatives.
And you ask wheter you should connect the preamp to your audio-interface and then to the X-touch or the preamp directly to the x-touch, but the x-touch is a remote controler for your DAW and you can't connect mics, preamps or audiointerfaces to it.

With 1.500,- you could buy some decent gear, but if you don't know what you want and don't seem to know what function the gear you consider buying has, you're in danger to just throw your money away.

You should become aware of what you really want to do and then ask people with more knowledge what gear could help you to archieve your goals. I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but I just don't want you to throw your money away.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
thats something im already doing on the side, thats why i decided to move on and get better gear
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Dirkp

i know that behringer x is for daw, thats why i want it, to improve with my mix and mastering, but i wasnt sure if i connect it with audio interface together or not..
Im 100% sure what i need, but i dont know what to chose for money i got, thats why i came here so coming back to topic, maybe i would invest in babyface pro interface + wa73 and i gonna stick to mic i got, and i gonna upgrade it soon for neumann? also im working on sound proofing my room, im recording only vocals,
maybe is there better option for items that i chosed? I mean i never used controller for daw but i want to lear, and that why i want one also, i think now is time, i want it for pro tools
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you buy a good interface like the RME or an Audient or SPL, I would compare the preamps of the interface and the WA73 and decide if I really need a separate preamp. I have the Tonebeast and the GAP73DLX. I really like the GAP, but for me a transformer based compressor like the WA76 is much more important and soundshaping in a way I love than a separate preamp.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
So basically with good interface like babypro i dont really need preamp because they are nearly the same, im right? I could buy better mic instead preamp, let say neumann tlm102+babypro? Would that be big step from rode nt1a and scarlet solo?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szorek View Post
So basically with good interface like babypro i dont really need preamp because they are nearly the same, im right? I could buy better mic instead preamp, let say neumann tlm102+babypro? Would that be big step from rode nt1a and scarlet solo?
The quality you get form those depends on your skill level, recording techniques and performances.

I can get great sound with the gear you have already. I never bought any piece of gear, even when i was starting out 34 years ago without knowing exactly what i needed and exactly what that piece of gear did.

Hold off on buying anything until you know exactly what your specific needs are. Also ask yourself why you want to upgrade? What are you lacking?

New gear doesn't give you better results. especially if the sound quality you are not achieving can be fixed in your performance, techniques and skill levels.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I wanted to upgrade because i work with rode and scarlett for past 4years, here is sample of my recording
https://youtu.be/hp1c1v1X3kU

I just wanted better quality od sound, and i want to start building my own studio in spare time, so i want to start collect new gear, i think im getting maximum from my setup, all i could do now is improve my mix and mastering, maybe improve accoustic aswell, but thats what im doing in mean time, like you said gear doesnt do all job for you, but if you know what you need and how to use it properly then it does, thats why im looking forward to get new gear, i want to upgrade something after those lovely years with my rode n scarlett solo so what would be the best upgrade?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
anyone ?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szorek View Post
anyone ?
As I mentioned above, keep saving until you know.

I would personally avoid that TLM 102 unless you KNOW forsure that it's going to be a big step up from your NT1, which means auditioning them side by side.

$400+/- is not enough for a good quality interface.
The pres on a good interface like a UFX or babyface are not going to be on the level of a stand-alone high-end pre, which is why a pair of BAE pres cost about the same as a UFX+. BUT.. the stock pres on a UFX will be a significant step up from your solo and multiple line ins will give you room to grow into better pres once you've saved.

I think people have answered your question, but it seems like you are determined to spend your money. Spend carefully so that you have money for the next piece that you KNOW you need.

A high quality interface from RME, Apollo, et. al. will serve you long term, with lots of room to grow. I, personally, am not as confident about the 102 or a GAP or WA stand-alone pre. Start with one quality piece, and then learn it. Save the rest and once you have more information then you can buy another.

my 2c.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search