The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A good bright vocal mic for a dark voice under 1000$
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

A good bright vocal mic for a dark voice under 1000$

Hello Gearslutz, I need a really bright mic for my voice that happened to have almost zero high frequencies in it for some reason. So far I've spent a lot of hours tweaking myself on TLM 102 and AKG c414 XL II and I always ended up having to boost for at least 6 (!) dbs high shelf in order to make it sit in the mix because the recording is so muddy, which obviously made the vocal track sound harsh and unnatural. I tried both treated and untreated rooms, different pre-amps and didn't notice any significant difference.
What mic would you guys suggest in my case? It seems like dark and even neutral mics are my voice's nightmare.
Currently I can afford one up to 1000$. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Have you tried stepping away farther from the mic? And dipping a little in the low-mids? Most male voices need that slight cut regardless of mic.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

If you otherwise like the 102, give the 103 a try.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
Have you tried stepping away farther from the mic? And dipping a little in the low-mids? Most male voices need that slight cut regardless of mic.
Hi zohomoho, thank you for the suggestions and yeah, I've tried stepping away and all kinds of cutting and boosting we can think of, so I blame it on my microphone choice. Stepping away definitely helps a bit but it's still lacking in highs and high mids.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Maybe a c-12 type mic. Avantone cv-12 is bright, Blue Spark is bright and modern, a used Telefunken AR-51 can be found for a grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadoromi View Post
Hi zohomoho, thank you for the suggestions and yeah, I've tried stepping away and all kinds of cutting and boosting we can think of, so I blame it on my microphone choice. Stepping away definitely helps a bit but it's still lacking in highs and high mids.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
If you otherwise like the 102, give the 103 a try.
Hey DirkP, thank you for the suggestion but I absolutely hated TLM 102 on my voice. It didn't work for me no matter what I tried, akg c414 xlii was a bit better though, but only a little bit. I still had to boost the hell out of it in HF.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

There's nothing wrong with having to boost 6dB of high end to make a vocal work in a mix. This is actually exceedingly common.

That said, the TLM 102 always sounded completely odd to me on vocals. Not something I would ever consider a vocal mic. The 103 is a totally different beast from the 102 and is actually MUCH brighter, so it might be right up your alley. Despite what the peanut gallery here on GS has to say, it's actually a great mic and I think it sounds totally usable.

As mentioned, something like a C12 or 251 or a C800G would generally be a good starting place if you're after a bright sound. Around $1000, I'd look into the following:

Advanced Audio C800T
Warm Audio WA251
3U Audio Warbler MKIV

If you stretch your budget a bit, you might be able to score a used Mojave MA-1000 or Manley Ref C for a good price.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

the 103 is a lot brighter than the 102.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
... a used Telefunken AR-51 can be found for a grand.
The AR-51 definitly is a bright high quality LDC for a smaller budget...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

For about $500 you can pick up an sE T2. They have a really lovely top end. The capsule it Titanium, which gives it a unique sound. I think they're really great on a lot of sources, including vocals. If you ever track pianos, they SLAY.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hello Gearslutz, I need a really bright mic for my voice that happened to have almost zero high frequencies in it for some reason.
If you've been recorded by a pro, did that person concur?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Studio Projects C1.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

isn't a 414 'bright' ? when i had one, it had a lot of upper mids and highs...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not the original "brass" CK12 one. Only tried/sang through one once. Great sounding mic. King of the 414 line.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need a really bright mic for my voice... up to $1,000.
The original Brauner Phantom has a very pronounced high-end lift and these pop up occasionally in the GS classifieds for under $1,000. It's an incredible mic for that kind of money if you like a boosted HF presence.

Last edited by James Lehmann; 3 weeks ago at 12:58 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search