The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Favorite SINGING DRUMMERS and their Bands!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Your Favorite SINGING DRUMMERS and their Bands!

Thought it might be fun and interesting, to open a discussion regarding the true "Dancing Bears" , of a band... AKA The singing drummer.

I always thought this looked like the most fun to do live, unless you were like Daltrey-swinging a 58 around.-or could dance like James Brown!

I am a "closet drummer" myself (but I'm starting to learn some beginning percussion). Like the "new guy" at the office figuring out the copier... Right now my Pro Band friends onstage, are like "Oh my God, look out-he picked up the tambourine"..."Now back away slowly from that percussion instrument!"

Two of my faves, are the Late/Great Levon Helm, and Peter Rivera (formerly of Rare Earth). Both fantastic singers and drummers.

Marvin Gaye, and Teddy Pendergrass had that live/studio drumming background too, that served them in good stead later as vocalists.

Of course, I'm curious what any "singing drummers" are using gearwise too,
for the stage/studio.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Chris
Old 10th June 2019
Stevie Wonder is a pretty good drummer. So is Phil Collins and Don Henley.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru

I'd probably call Henley a drumming singer.

And if it was actually his own drumming on those records, Dave Clark belongs on the list. Rimshot-o-rama.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Pete is really great. I’ve been fortunate enough to have played guitar onstage with him a few times, and also on other occasions, to just sit behind him for an entire set and watch him play and sing. No one really has a better feel, only “as good”.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Karen Carpenter is obviously one of the standout singer/drummers and has to be mentioned, though Hal Blaine did play a lot on the records.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Stevie Wonder is a pretty good drummer. So is Phil Collins and Don Henley.
Stevie Wonder can play the drums, and has unique creative ideas for the parts he wants on his songs. But he doesn’t have a reputation for playing drums while singing, either in the studio or live. I’m sure he could. I’m one of the few who have seen Stevie Wonder drive a car, so I don’t bet against him on things like this.
Henley gets my vote. He was hired by Linda Rondstadt as a drummer who could sing. I don’t think he is his own favorite drummer, but he’s my favorite singing drummer... Phil Collins and Helms are close seconds.

Last edited by Bushman; 12th June 2019 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru
I have a friend who works at a venue and Phil Collins was a guy that impressed him. Real crew friendly guy and would be up in the grid with the lighting guys. Very down to earth....What a talent!.....
Old 10th June 2019
Old 10th June 2019
For later years the drummer in Underoath is crazy. And seems to be that good live too, not as many other Autotuned metalcore singers of today. Pretty much embodied the sound of that era 2002-2012 but in a good way.
Old 10th June 2019
Huge Levon fan.

Singing drummer myself (mainly BV). It's a challenge balancing your vocal level w/the drum bleed. You gotta sing loud if you're gonna pay loud.

Henely could play that stuff just fine live, pretty sure it was him.

One of the new school guys I've been impressed w/is Anderson Paak.

Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Not a real deep discography, but I really liked the vocal from Jimmy Marinos on The Romantics' "What I Like About You". A true get-em-up tune and vocal.
And there was some kid named Ringo I vaguely remember.....
Old 10th June 2019
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

Lots of great ones already mentioned. I'll mention Andy Sturmer of Jellyfish, who not only sings lead and drums at the same time, but does so standing up:

Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Levon Helm
Don Henley
Ringo Starr - OK not the greatest of vocalists but I loved his drumming - he was simple and tasty - ntohing wrong with that.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Head

Rodger Taylor from Queen had a vocal range that some say was higher than Freddie's.

He sang lead on a few Queen tracks. Decent pipes for sure !
Old 10th June 2019
Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees !

Old 10th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanagan View Post
Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees !

Hey imagine how much better the song would have sounded with the guitars plugged in....!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'd probably call Henley a drumming singer.

And if it was actually his own drumming on those records, Dave Clark belongs on the list. Rimshot-o-rama.
Late Great Mike Smith on Lead Vocals and Keyboard.
Dave Clark mainly sang BGV's.
Chris
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Just watched one of the 'ol Rifleman TV shows, with Sammy in it.
He had incredible fast draw skills with a six-shooter!
Was there ANYTHING Sammy wasn't talented at?

Chris

P.S. Toledo, please more Peter Rivera stories-if you have more to share!
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chowder View Post
Lots of great ones already mentioned. I'll mention Andy Sturmer of Jellyfish, who not only sings lead and drums at the same time, but does so standing up:

He's a standout. Equally great in both roles...

Tony
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
WOW! I did not know he was a drummer! That was legit!
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chowder View Post

You beat me to it. So so good.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Fun videos.

Levon is usually who I think of first.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Paris Monster:

Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Came in to say Levon and Roger and was happy to see both of them getting some love here. Also gotta give a shout out to Gerry Polci:

Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

ns
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

I always think of Narada Michael Walden first when this topic comes up. Good at piano too and as a producer.

I always listened to him as a drummer though in Mahavishnu Orchestra, Weather Report and on Jeff Beck records, etc., however he sings well too in other situations.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear
There's a difference between drummers who can sing lead vocals, or lead singers who can drum, but as separate disciplines.

And those that did it on stage at the same time!

That category is much less populated and top of the shop for me is Levon Helm.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
There's a difference between drummers who can sing lead vocals, or lead singers who can drum, but as separate disciplines.

And those that did it on stage at the same time!

That category is much less populated and top of the shop for me is Levon Helm.
And among singing drummers, I would recognize especially those drummers who became acclaimed for their vocals who stayed on as the drummer for their band.

Karen Carpenter, Phil Collins et al - all due respect to their drumming, but at a certain point they "became" lead singers and ceased to play and sing at the same time on stage. They had someone else playing drums in the band when they went on tour.

Traitors!
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
And among singing drummers, I would recognize especially those drummers who became acclaimed for their vocals who stayed on as the drummer for their band.

Karen Carpenter, Phil Collins et al - all due respect to their drumming, but at a certain point they "became" lead singers and ceased to play and sing at the same time on stage. They had someone else playing drums in the band when they went on tour.

Traitors!
I don't know about Phil Collins but don't think Karen Carpenter was given much of a choice about having to become a non-playing frontwoman, it was forced by her management/label/family. Which was a shame as she was a phenomenal singing drummer! Try from just before 2 mins in below:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search