The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mesa OR Marshall....
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Nut

OK, here's what I think would be the ideal setup for me:

1)Mesa Boogie DUAL or TRIPLE rectifier solo head.
2)2x Mesa Boogie 4x12 recto-standard cabs(slant & str.)
3)Rocktron Prophesy Preamp & FX.
4)ENGL 580 midi tube preamp.
5)Rocktron HUSH super C.
6)Mesa stereo simul class 2:90.

Now all I need is $8000 +!Wuddaya think?
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Nut

I read an interview with Rammstein, the sound is indeed Mesa DR, with a little POD blended in.....

Amund
Old 29th October 2002
I think Meshuggah does the POD "blend" too...
Old 29th October 2002
Lives for gear

I think Pod/Ampfarm sounds fine added to a bed of real guitar amps. For another flavour. On its own even with eq/comp sculpting there is something missing..but as always if that is the sound you are after then that is cool.

As well as amps, different pickups, guitars and types add a whole lot of variety.
Old 29th October 2002
Lives for gear

And still no mention of a DUMBLE??? Maybe I smell a new thread comming on.
Old 29th October 2002
One with big hooves

Dumble amps are a strange and rare beast. Some people do really well with them, others sound like crap. Seems like the players with a light touch get the best tone from them, Eric Johnson and Robben Ford come to mind. The ones I've played seem to sound really small when I'm wailing on open chords but sing when I play with a light touch. FWIW, I've only seen three or maybe four Dumble amps out here in the NYC area and I've played two of them.
Old 29th October 2002
One with big hooves

FWIW, I really don't like the sound of the JCM 2000 TSL, it sounds really thin and lifeless to me, kind of like the JCM900. The 2000 DSL is the **** if you want a new Marshall. Of course everyone wants an 800 and for good reason. They sound great, but so do those little Lead 12 practice amps. Anyone remember the micro-stack version of that? Even a 2-channel 800 has one good sound, the 2000 DSL has a useable clean sound which is odd for a Marshall. Between my 800, Dual Rectumfrier and a handful of pedals I can get almost any rock guitar sound needed. I'd still like to grab a nice Fender some day for clean sounds.
Old 29th October 2002
I like the clean tones on the DR... with a PRS McArthy (did I spell it right?) hummm..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search