The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Pre/Mic [ choosing from Blue Robbie , neve clones and bocku95 and other mics ]
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Best Pre/Mic [ choosing from Blue Robbie , neve clones and bocku95 and other mics ]

Hello friends I have had a bit of a hard time deciding between microphones
and pre amps
for rap vocals

I previously owned a TLM102 , TLM103
oktavamk13 , BlueBird
and AT2020

I have been looking at a bock95 , a modded rode nt1
rode ntk , miktek cv3 and some other microphones

I sold the tlm102 recently because I felt as if
it sounded a little too small and
got harsh at times in the highs especially
after applying a decent amount of EQ and compression

The pre amps I have been looking at have been
Blue Robbie, a DaKING , wa73 + other neve clones

basically looking to get a somewhat creamy but not cheap sounding vocal
for aggresive rap vocals.
if anyone has any ideas or thoughts
i'd appreciate them. have wanted the u87 ai but i am not sure
i am able to spend around 2,000 on a used one right now

am looking to spend around $1500 total or maybe a bit less or more
if it warrants it
i have a interface that lets me bypass the pres on it
Old 7th June 2019
The Daking is the only one you listed I would personally use in my own studio, if that helps.

Great top-notch gear for the money.

Id recommend you also look into an AML, BAE, Avedis, or AMS 500 series if you want the Neve sound. All are much better than the Warm Audio.

For mics, take a look at the new Chandler TG mic.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
The Daking is the only one you listed I would personally use in my own studio, if that helps.

Great top-notch gear for the money.

Id recommend you also look into an AML, BAE, Avedis, or AMS 500 series if you want the Neve sound. All are much better than the Warm Audio.

For mics, take a look at the new Chandler TG mic.

yeah i'm leaning towards that now that i read
on it more,
but i thought a tube pre would work well with a
condenser for rap vocals though,
and saw that the robbie has a similar sound to a avalon.

that mic is just a bit out of my range
as it's listed at around 2,000
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Head

bump.
anyone else?

thinking about repurchasing the tlm103 and just trying to get
a tube pre to go with it
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam534 View Post
bump.
anyone else?

thinking about repurchasing the tlm103 and just trying to get
a tube pre to go with it
If it's for rap vocals (or vocals in general), I'd look elsewhere..

Why not the new Austrian Audio OC18 (with their original CK12 capsule?.. for the record they are the ex AKG employees and build their mic in Austria, like akg should have been doing if it wasn't in some phone/tv crap company hands)..

The U87 might be also a good alternative, but at that point you're 2k out...

Get a great quality preamp.. You'll use it for the years to come..
Don't buy cheap clones.. They'll last 2-3 years, then you'll get the hitch..

I'd suggest a nice channelstrip built with original danner modules from vintagetools (you can choose the preamp, which eq and which compressor) for a little bit more than 2k..
So with the cardioid mic (OC18) you'll be under 3k but you'll have a finished tone when you get into the daw.. Less plugs to mess around with..

Another good one will be the tube tree audio branch II.. fantastic piece.

If you are willing to build slowly, maybe the 500 series might be an option..
Avedis MA5, eq of your choice (maybe the Crane Song Insignia if you want filters and a smooth tone), and probably I'd go for a IC brute..

But you could start with an MA5 and a lunchbox (and the mic) while staying below 2k..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
If it's for rap vocals (or vocals in general), I'd look elsewhere..

Why not the new Austrian Audio OC18 (with their original CK12 capsule?.. for the record they are the ex AKG employees and build their mic in Austria, like akg should have been doing if it wasn't in some phone/tv crap company hands)..

The U87 might be also a good alternative, but at that point you're 2k out...

Don't buy cheap clones.. They'll last 2-3 years, then you'll get the hitch..

I'd suggest a nice channelstrip built with original danner modules from vintagetools (you can choose the preamp, which eq and which compressor) for a little bit more than 2k..
So with the cardioid mic (OC18) you'll be under 3k but you'll have a finished tone when you get into the daw.. Less plugs to mess around with..

Another good one will be the tube tree audio branch II.. fantastic piece.

If you are willing to build slowly, maybe the 500 series might be an option..
Avedis MA5, eq of your choice (maybe the Crane Song Insignia if you want filters and a smooth tone), and probably I'd go for a IC brute..

But you could start with an MA5 and a lunchbox (and the mic) while staying below 2k..

I hope this helps,

Cheu

will be looking into that thanks for the info man
yeah that's really the mic that i want having owned
a tlm102
and 103
i know i was something more full
and not so harsh
i got a blue robbie for a reasonable price and have 45 days with it to
decide if i want to keep it so we shall see how it turns out

still need to decide on a mic though
Old 15th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
will be looking into that thanks for the info man
yeah that's really the mic that i want having owned
a tlm102
and 103
i know i was something more full
and not so harsh
i got a blue robbie for a reasonable price and have 45 days with it to
decide if i want to keep it so we shall see how it turns out

still need to decide on a mic though
If it's for your vocals, the best (and only way) is to try some mics out and see which one fit your vocals better.

The Austrian Audio OC18 is for sure a good start, a used AT 4060a (great inexpensive tube mic) would also be a good option below 1k, maybe also a 4047 or a 4050.

Another unknown gem might be the Sanken CU-55, or for rap vocals I had a great experience with the Milab DC-96B (this is also to buy used although Milab still does the 196 which is the xformerless version). These are tiny GREAT mics.

Those are all condenser mics, which will get you great vocals tracks. There might be one or more that will fit your vocals better than others.

All of them could be found below 1k (the sanken new is a little more expensive, but not much at 1195$).

The good old SM7 might also be a good option for rap vocals, but it's a dynamic mic and needs to be paired with a great pre to shine (like the Avedis MA5 or a BAE, for exemple).

I'd stay away from the elcheapo stuff and the clones, they're not worth the hassle and the time imho, the options above are all great sounding mics, that will keep their value and you will keep'em in case your mic locker grows.

Do the same with the preamp. Test 2-3 of them, send back what you don't need/like.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
If you are looking for a quality tube pre then I would recommend the Sebatron Axis-200vu preamp.
It features a variable high pass filter which I find useful for any 'upfront' vocals , or rap , where it is preferable to filter out some of the very lows.
Also lets you run it clean to colored without losing any detail.
Never sounds harsh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Blue Robbie is way underrated, maybe the odd design has something to do with it. For clean modern tube sound, I think it blows away the old standard Avalon. And the DI is like butter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
Blue Robbie is way underrated, maybe the odd design has something to do with it. For clean modern tube sound, I think it blows away the old standard Avalon. And the DI is like butter.
That's quite true, is not a bad piece, but the switches on the back of the unit shows that's not a very clever/practical design imho.

If I want to switch the phantom pwr on, the polarity reverse and all the other options, etc I'd like to SEE them.

They should've made it with a smaller gain knob and the switches on the front.

Cheu
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohomoho View Post
ended up getting a mint condition one for around 300
now i am just trying to decide on a mic that
would go with it excited to try it out though
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had a Neumann TLM102 but sold it because I found it to sound a little harsh at times and that was without any processing at all.
On a lower budget I’m really impressed with the Miktek MK300. This is definitely a bigger sounding mic than the TLM102. However, I’ve just ordered a Vanguard V13 tune mic as I’ve been seriously impressed with all of the audio clips I’ve heard of this mic! As far as I can tell, it has a much smoother top end and much fuller richness to the sound than the TLM102. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Regarding the preamp I’m using a Warm TB12 and am liking it a lot. However, I recently added a Klark Teknik KT-2a compressor to my vocal chain and this adds a really nice thick and smoothness to the sound. Really looking forward to hearing the Vanguard V13 through this chain!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
ended up getting a mint condition one for around 300
now i am just trying to decide on a mic that
would go with it excited to try it out though

Dang, that's a deal. I did see they lowered the retail price but don't know if it's a temporary summer thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I had a Neumann TLM102 but sold it because I found it to sound a little harsh at times and that was without any processing at all.
On a lower budget I’m really impressed with the Miktek MK300. This is definitely a bigger sounding mic than the TLM102. However, I’ve just ordered a Vanguard V13 tune mic as I’ve been seriously impressed with all of the audio clips I’ve heard of this mic! As far as I can tell, it has a much smoother top end and much fuller richness to the sound than the TLM102. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Regarding the preamp I’m using a Warm TB12 and am liking it a lot. However, I recently added a Klark Teknik KT-2a compressor to my vocal chain and this adds a really nice thick and smoothness to the sound. Really looking forward to hearing the Vanguard V13 through this chain!
yeah the way you describe it is exactly why i sold it lol

like it just sounded small to my ears,
and harsh as well.

funny because i have been really eyeing that mk300
found a used one i may take a chance on

also looked at that vanguard a bit

really wanna just jump on a u87 but something tells me i can get close to that sound without having to fork out 2 grand right now
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah the way you describe it is exactly why i sold it lol

like it just sounded small to my ears,
and harsh as well.

funny because i have been really eyeing that mk300
found a used one i may take a chance on

also looked at that vanguard a bit

really wanna just jump on a u87 but something tells me i can get close to that sound without having to fork out 2 grand right now
Besides the mic I've suggested above another mic that might works good on rap vocals could be the Neumann TLM107, if in cardioid is too "present" (too much top end), try it in hyper cardioid or figure of 8.

I have the impression that the tlm107 is what the 103 should've been, without the harshness.

Or for something different maybe also a used tlm67 (plus in the future you could get the tube mod from ioaudio and have 2 mics in 1, that will keep its value..how cool is that?)

Although the best thing to do, since will be for YOUR vocals, is to test few mics out (talk with your dealer or rent 1 hour in a studio near you).. Bring your preamp with you, then decide what to get.

Until now I've yet to listen to a microphone that sounds like a U87.. BUT that doesn't mean that it works great for your vocals or that doesn't have any flaws. (I own a pair of vintage U87, and I like them on vocals, but it depends on the vocalist as well, as said.. There might be better suited mic for specific singers or goals).

Try to avoid the el cheapo ones, all the mics I've mentioned will keep their value quite well, try to buy a used one if you can't afford it new.

Buy once but good, buy something that will last and that IF you have to resell you'll get most (or more) of your money back.

I hope this helps,

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search