The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Most useful mixing trick you learned from pros
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
Yes I figured he would have been sureounddd by great engineers, cerstainky before purple rain and all too, but to know his way around and be able to track himself, and be able to supply mostly the full vision, is admirable for any artist. I got into engineering because I always recorded my own things. Being a musican greatly helped as an engineer

There are actually a few posts in the Q&A section where Sylvia Massey (who worked extensively with Prince) spills the beans on a few of Prince's sessions. She says (paraphrasing of course) that he would show up to the studio at something like midnight with two beautiful women on his arms (different ones each time), prance into the studio and tell everyone to leave including Sylvia. No one was allowed to go in the studio until they saw Prince leave the building and it left Sylvia pretty frustrated at times.

On a couple of occasions she came back in and Prince would have his lead and background vocals recorded and "mostly" mixed. The women he brought in were there for Prince's "entertainment" - my words not hers but she certainly implies this in no uncertain terms. Dig up that Sylvia Massey guest spot in the Q&A section. Some juicy stuff in there for sure! This was just after he passed so I suppose she felt compelled to share these amazing stories about the Purple one.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Mumbles View Post
Projectors huh? That’s pretty wild lol. I have only seen the write up sheets and couldn’t imagine trying to write one up THEN to recall (if need be). Like I said earlier I figured they could get the mix close after a recall as it was regularly practiced. It just seemed prudent to me just to print multiple versions of the mix, even things that aren’t an issue, but MAY be one (like let’s just print one with the snare slightly lower just In case... something like that). I just did the Vox Up, Vox down, Bass up, bass down, kick etc..prints) plus TV tracks and such. I am surprised you guys use to recall them a lot. I’ve only seen it done a handful of times, and didn’t want to be that assistant lol

The later SSL's like the 9000K also had that snapshot system, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head. Only had to do a recall on an SSL a couple times but it would come up on the console screen and you could project it to a larger screen. It basically would pull up each channel strip and looked like one of those 3d plugin graphics where each section had a mark where the fader, pan, EQ notch and buttons were set on the last mix. It's actually pretty fast to recall. If memory serves me the mark would be red if it wasn't set correct and then turn green when it was matched"? Took about 25-30 minutes to recall a mix I suppose? Then you'd just need to worry about your tube gear not being warmed up and shifting in tone, lol but it was a fun process.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
The later SSL's like the 9000K also had that snapshot system, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head. Only had to do a recall on an SSL a couple times but it would come up on the console screen and you could project it to a larger screen. It basically would pull up each channel strip and looked like one of those 3d plugin graphics where each section had a mark where the fader, pan, EQ notch and buttons were set on the last mix. It's actually pretty fast to recall. If memory serves me the mark would be red if it wasn't set correct and then turn green when it was matched"? Took about 25-30 minutes to recall a mix I suppose? Then you'd just need to worry about your tube gear not being warmed up and shifting in tone, lol but it was a fun process.
Total Recall - was on consoles from the E onwards.

Accurate to +/- 0.25dB, which obviously has the potential for quite some deviance, but in practice was pretty accurate.

It was then a matter of recalling the outboard. Many people wouldn’t have had a huge amount - a few vocal compressors, the odd pultec, mixbuss eq, and of course 4-6 sends - a lot of the rest would just be on the board. But it did depend on the engineer!

It was perfectly possible to get a recall indistinguishable in under an hour, but no guarantee.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

I haven't done it, but there's a way to not only create a preset, but to have that as the default when you open the plugin. I couple of my friends spent an hour or so making defaults with the noise off, but everything else in flat position, so they open the plugs and the noise isn't ever there.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

Accurate to +/- 0.25dB, which obviously has the potential for quite some deviance, but in practice was pretty accurate.

It was then a matter of recalling the outboard. Many people wouldn’t have had a huge amount - a few vocal compressors, the odd pultec, mixbuss eq, and of course 4-6 sends - a lot of the rest would just be on the board. But it did depend on the engineer!

It was perfectly possible to get a recall indistinguishable in under an hour, but no guarantee.
That’s good info. I worked on a 4000E for many years but never even used the automation. My mentors did, and I learned it, but I also just like the hands on approach of printing a mix. Especially with multiple people. It becomes a performance itself.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:

I did a couple of albums on the SSL E that was at Dallas Sound Lab in the mid-90s. The recall was the old computer screen with the green video traces. It took close to an hour to recall the board settings on a mix, and then there was enough drift that it never sounded exactly right. About halfway through the first record, we stopped doing that. We were paying billable hours doing this to have the artist ultimately not like the recall.

As we did final mixes, we still took snapshots and grabbed fader rides, but I don't think we ever recalled any mixes on either record of any use. We did do some alt mixes (vocal up, vocal down, etc.) and cut in a few pieces after the fact before sent off to mastering.

Two records back-to-back on that console... never been an SSL fan ever since. I use them when I have to, but I don't love them.

Ah, but one thing that stuck with me (in keeping with the thread): one of the house engineers there told me they had done a lot of research and comparing of notes and anecdotes, and they had found "the most annoying frequency to humans": 630 Hz.

I still remember that to this day, and I have no idea if there is any truth to it beyond the collective opinion of a group of engineers in Dallas. It is one of the frequency areas I check when I'm cleaning up tracks, though.

Last edited by robshrock; 1 day ago at 07:07 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Before everyone did it, I learned from JCole/Dreamville's engineer "Mez" about multing the bass out several times and processing each one as a sub/low end/low mid/growl track, and adjusting each of these to get an overall sound on the bass. Now-a-days you can listen to Jaycen Joshua on Pensados Place, or watch Brauer on Mix with the Masters talk about how they do it. Mez showed me this before it was common knowledge and I haven't processed bass and 808's any other way since. Gives you compete control of the whole spectrum of the bass and automating them at different sections can add energy to the song when needed. Also a great way to get bass to cut through on smaller speakers using distortion on your low mid/growl mult!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

This thread is way too big to wade through so excuse me if this has been mentioned already but....
Start a mix with the vocal up!

I don't even know who I learned this from. Maybe Trina Shoemaker.

It was such a revelation when I started doing this. The mix comes together so much quicker. You have so much more perspective on what's important and what needs space.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yep. That’s the one. Total Recall. I thought it worked really well. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I have also lived through that nightmare.

I was mixing a "heavy" album with a lot of saturation and compression/limiting. There was a super loud hiss coming through. Turns out it was the Waves stuff.

I haven't used the Waves stuff since then. OK well I use the ones that don't default to being noisy.
They should just label it the "ruin shi^" button and we'd all steer clear!
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I tend to forget my presets and just open the plugins and tweak when doing a new mix so it isn't until i have things set where i want for that track that i start saving. Mostly so i dont have to type descriptions

I should take the time to go through them all and just save a base "no noise" preset. Just more "housekeeping" which is my least favorite thing
That's not what I meant. I don't know for every DAW, but most of them offer the ability to save anything you want as default. So that every time you instantiate a certain plugin, it opens with this default setting without the need to load a preset.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2mix.com View Post
Before everyone did it, I learned from JCole/Dreamville's engineer "Mez" about multing the bass out several times and processing each one as a sub/low end/low mid/growl track, and adjusting each of these to get an overall sound on the bass. Now-a-days you can listen to Jaycen Joshua on Pensados Place, or watch Brauer on Mix with the Masters talk about how they do it. Mez showed me this before it was common knowledge and I haven't processed bass and 808's any other way since. Gives you compete control of the whole spectrum of the bass and automating them at different sections can add energy to the song when needed. Also a great way to get bass to cut through on smaller speakers using distortion on your low mid/growl mult!
Yes, that's a really good one! Getting the lowend right is the hardest thing in many mixes and this helps tremendously.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
It's basically the same system now on the AWS/Delta consoles. It helps, but still takes some time and by the second you recalled the board, you can't help feeling you'd already had something going if you just started over.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
...never been an SSL fan ever since. I use them when I have to, but I don't love them.
same here: I still remember to this day when i sat down on a 4k for the first time (coming from an mci jh500) and how much i was disappointed! - never got to work on a 9k though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
...they had found "the most annoying frequency to humans" (is) 630Hz
pretty much so with vocals in live sound (and hence why i'm using a default setting on my desks with one filter set to 630hz)
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
It's basically the same system now on the AWS/Delta consoles. It helps, but still takes some time and by the second you recalled the board, you can't help feeling you'd already had something going if you just started over.
I suppose it depends on why you’re doing the recall! Honestly shouldn’t take THAT long - even with a dense setup, an hour is long enough to know if you’re getting close or if it’s going to be a fight.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
I suppose it depends on why you’re doing the recall! Honestly shouldn’t take THAT long - even with a dense setup, an hour is long enough to know if you’re getting close or if it’s going to be a fight.
Absolutely, it's far under an hour and pretty effective. But to me it always feels long enough. ;-)
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

More cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search