The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kenny Loggins’ ‘Caddyshack’ Opening Titles Production Technique Question
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Head

Kenny Loggins’ ‘Caddyshack’ Opening Titles Production Technique Question

At the start of the opening titles of Caddyshack, before Loggins comes blasting in with his hit single “I’m All Right,” there’s a snippet of different song that’s called “Make the Move” on the soundtrack album. It sounds like it was assembled on an early sampling keyboard like the Synclavier or Fairlight, with plenty of flanging and other effects, and/or tape loops. Considering this was recorded in 1980, it seems like a preview of some of the soundscapes that would be dot the MTV landscape once sampling keyboards became more commonplace and Eventide rolled out the H3000. It seems like there’s a lot going on here, and I’d love your thoughts as to what those ingredients are.

Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Wish I could be more help.
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Addict

Interesting - I never had the soundtrack album and didn't know it was considered a separate track. I always just assumed that they had done a special mix of the background vocals in the "ohhh heart beating" breakdown in the middle of the song.

While it certainly could have been a Fairlight (it was brand new and Kenny Loggins would definitely be in a position to get access to one), I'd put just as much money on it just being flown/looped multi-tracked background vocals. Have you ever read the story about how 10cc produced "I'm Not In Love"? The intro of Caddyshack always reminded me of that sound.

It really is amazing how trivial something like this would be these days with a DAW and one or two plugins, and how involved the process was not so long ago.

Last edited by Releaux; 26th May 2019 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Apparently mowed some of Bill Murray's grass and wrote "Lindsey Buckingham" instead of "Kenny Loggins"
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

Analog vocoder. Sampled a phrase or moan with the keyboard, and is hitting the keys for the vocoder source. bouncing notes within the scale up and down. Using keyboard breath control fading in and out with pedal ..aaaAAAAHHH.
Old 25th May 2019
Im looking out my window at the actual golf course in Davie fl where it was filmed. Thats all i got.
Old 25th May 2019
Lives for gear

All of a sudden I want a baby ruth.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux View Post
I always just assumed that they had done a special mix of the background vocals in the "ohhh heart beating" breakdown in the middle of the song.
Umm. That's not Georges message, you do not owe heartbeats.

OWN heart beating...MY... Own heart beating..

There's a bathroom on the right

Excuse me while I kiss this guy
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds like really well done multitrack stacking of voices, a technique that Kenny was very very good at. The flanging-type effect you hear would simply be the variance of multiple passes on each note without benefit of Autotune.
Nicely done with great dynamics and voicing.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Kenny? George? Whatever.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

This is what I'm hearing.

Verb, chamber.
Vocoder, sweet and analog.
Beautiful voice mixed perfect

Here, no time was put into this example ..

My crappy digital Vocoder, tapping some keys with a thick chamber 'verb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r1j...ew?usp=sharing

Im not transcribing him or mocking birding his song. Demonstration purposes.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

If/when I see Kenny again, I'll try to remember to ask him.
He visits Laguna now and then, so it'll probably happen.

Around a year ago, he made an impromptu visit to a small restaurant there, and played guitar/sang with two of his close friends (another Tenor and his wife a Soprano).... Steve and Beth Wood (founders of the group Honk).

So I got to sing along "the Baritone" to their vocals-super fun! They did a bunch of Classic Soul songs together. He loves Sam Cooke!

Am going there tonight, it'd be cool if Kenny shows up again.
Chris
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
Umm. That's not Georges message, you do not owe heartbeats.

OWN heart beating...MY... Own heart beating..
Ah, so it is. (Though I said "ohhh" not "owe" )

I don't think it's vocoders, though. This sounds like big stacks of multitracked vocals (male and female), maybe with a hint of chorus or flange on the sub mix.
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
two of his close friends (another Tenor and his wife a Soprano).... Steve and Beth Wood (founders of the group Honk).

So I got to sing along "the Baritone" to their vocals-super fun! They did a bunch of Classic Soul songs together. He loves Sam Cooke!

Chris
Who doesn't love Sam Cooke.
They related to Ron Wood from Wizard?
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who doesn't love Sam Cooke.
They related to Ron Wood from Wizard?
My Mom was friends with Sam, and with the Producers-Hugo & Luigi.
So his were some of the first records, I heard as a child.

AFAIK Steve is a Native Californian. But I'll ask him tonight.
He has had a big career in scoring IMAX Film Documentaries, with people like Sting and Paul McCartney BTW.

Steve and Beth are part of a Local Legends group, called "The 133 Band".
It also has Jason Feddy, Poul Pedersen (Missiles of October), Nick I (Common Sense), in it. All have been (effectively) mentors, for my singing.
Chris
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
This is what I'm hearing.

Verb, chamber.
Vocoder, sweet and analog.
Beautiful voice mixed perfect

No time was put into this ..
I always knew it'd come to this..
Vocoder, tapping some keys with a thick chamber 'verb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r1j...ew?usp=sharing

Im not transcribing him or mocking birding his song. For demonstration of the idea it is using a vocoder.
Great, thanks!
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Kenny was definitely good at the cool vocal stacking intros. Still love that opening of Whenever I Call You Friend when I hear it start up on the radio.
Old 27th May 2019
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

I can dig it!
Chris
Old 27th May 2019
Just digging how the shaker is timed w/the sprinklers.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Some sort of audio visual quantum entanglement?

I knew it.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Just digging how the shaker is timed w/the sprinklers.
In last year's book Caddyshack: The Making of a Hollywood Cinderella Story by Chris Nashawaty, the author wrote:
Quote:
Loggins says “I’m Alright” poured out of him in a few hours at his kitchen table in Santa Barbara the same evening that he saw the unfinished film. Then he went into the studio and cut the song, using the movie’s opening-scene golf course sprinklers as percussion. When he brought the demo home, he listened to it and just started cracking up. “I knew I ****ing had one in the bag,” Loggins says. “That doesn’t happen often enough. I just listened to it and thought, This is a smash!” Peters agreed. He then tapped veteran composer Johnny Mandel (M*A*S*H, The Last Detail) to fill out the rest of the light, jazzy score for the film.
So it sounds like the shakers were synced up to the shot of the golf course sprinklers, rather than the other way around.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Kenny knew to Gopher it!
Chris
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
If/when I see Kenny again, I'll try to remember to ask him.
He visits Laguna now and then, so it'll probably happen.

Around a year ago, he made an impromptu visit to a small restaurant there, and played guitar/sang with two of his close friends (another Tenor and his wife a Soprano).... Steve and Beth Wood (founders of the group Honk).

Am going there tonight, it'd be cool if Kenny shows up again.
Chris
I hate you.

Because it's not me.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Releaux View Post
Ah, so it is. (Though I said "ohhh" not "owe" )

I don't think it's vocoders, though. This sounds like big stacks of multitracked vocals (male and female), maybe with a hint of chorus or flange on the sub mix.
No, definitely no vocoders, I don't know where people are getting that.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear

Bill, listen up to 10 seconds. Those cresendo's are not his natural breath. An argument could be that it is track fader automation at the board for a swell. You could do that with a keyboard. How it happens at the beginning of each sung note is suspicious , no? I picture it like a person simply hitting single notes on a keyboard with a sample phrase of his voice. Like a Vocoder / or isolated filter bank type vocal.

Please show me what you mean. Would you provide an example of how you do it?

I got crappy equipment, but I tried to demonstrate the idea.

I do not want to take something away from the performance. It's tight. To meld the mans voice and computerized machine together is such a sexy idea to me. A symbiotic vocal relationship to say the least. Something hit worthy in the 21 century and beyond. A transcendence of the voice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search