The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for simulating double tracked guitar
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Tips for simulating double tracked guitar

Hi GS!

I'm looking for some suggestions of plugins that do a great job of creating a fake double tracked electric guitar part. Ya' know, something that sounds more like the real thing rather than a short slap back.

I have a rock album with one single DI'ed guitar track per song. I'd love to create a second take (without tracking again) and reamp them both. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could double the track and nudge one forward a few milliseconds.

If you have a delay plug you could modulate the delay time using automation but that might take a while to get it natural sounding.

Personally, I'd look up free modulation plugs like a chorus or something and try it sparingly in the mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I have a rock album with one single DI'ed guitar track per song. I'd love to create a second take (without tracking again) and reamp them both. Thanks!
If you do not care about the quality of the guitar tracks, knowing that you will get better results recording 2 separate guitar takes, just copy the guitar track and move a few msecs ahead and send them to 2 different guitar sims.

Me, i would take 10 minutes to track out the guitar again so you have a more natural double guitar sound,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Some songs are simple enough that you could potentially use verse 2 as the layer for verse 1 and vice versa. Chorus 2 goes under chorus 1 and vice versa... I've done it in a pinch before for rhythm guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It'd probably take a lot less time to do it for real than it would to figure out how to fake it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
If you have repeating chord patterns or riffs, and they aren't just copy and paste repeats, you can create 2nd takes. e.g;

Left: Bar 1 | Bar 2
Right: Bar 2 | Bar 1

And so on. It takes time but the results can be almost like a real double.

Edit: it's similar to Weezul's post but on a smaller scale.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
If you have repeating chord patterns or riffs, and they aren't just copy and paste repeats, you can create 2nd takes. e.g;

Left: Bar 1 | Bar 2
Right: Bar 2 | Bar 1

And so on. It takes time but the results can be almost like a real double.

Edit: it's similar to Weezul's post but on a smaller scale.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Done this as well in the past haha! It's actually very fast if the player played well, and you have a grid, or if you already butchered it to death with time alignment
Old 4 weeks ago
I think muse sometimes have a rock track with only one gtr take. In mix with the Masters their mixer went through the guitar tracks. I don't remember exactly but.....
Channel 1: Marshall and panned left.
Channel 2: mesa and panned right
Channel 3: room track panned center
Channel 4: bright telephoney fuzz panned left
Channel 5: bright fuzz telephoney panned right.

Doesn't sound exactly like double track but sounds very cool. Just use your imagination and maybe you can find a cool sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
waves adt
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

adding a plug or delay wont make it sound like a double tracked guitar.

its the inconsistencies between the 2 tracks that give it weight and impact.

also most Rockers will use different guitars and/or amps /amp settings for the double track.

thats what makes it fat.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

If at all possible, record a second take of the part.

If that's not a possibility, then the above suggestions of chopping up and rearranging bits of the original take - ie swapping verses and choruses around etc is the best alternative.

Failing that, Waves ADT with modulation set to random is ok, but it won't sound like a double-tracked gtr, it'll sound like an ADT'ed one!

Don't just copy and time-shift the copy by a few ms - it may sound impressively wide listening in stereo, but hit that mono button and listen to it magically collapse into a weak-ass phasey disappointment...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
Hi GS!

I'm looking for some suggestions of plugins that do a great job of creating a fake double tracked electric guitar part. Ya' know, something that sounds more like the real thing rather than a short slap back.

You use a delay/chorus combo. You can also use differing EQ as well. With reamping you can use different amp sounds. Collectively it's pretty straightforward.
Old 4 weeks ago
https://www.antarestech.com/product/duo-evo/

It's made for vocals but it has an instrument setting too. It has controls for how much timing and pitch random variation. Pretty cool plug.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
duplicate the DI track. use a different sounding amp sim on the duplicate and delay the original track anywhere from 1-30 ms
Old 4 weeks ago
Initial tracking or reamping of one gtr take to two tracks with different mics, pres, compression, and/or eq and panning those works for me for this issue. Similar to the Muse comment above I guess but it works and with some delay on one it should stand out a bit more. I usually don’t bother with any delay as it differs enough already to me. I usually track all scratches and pre-production with two mics so they have a cooler sounding take home mix. Just panning the two mics l and r sounds better to me. Two different takes trumps all that though. Just my experience but you can make it work I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If the guitarist isn't handy or willing, you can also try "fake-STEED." You fly the part off onto analog tape of some sort. The crappier the machine the better up to a point, because you want the motion anomalies. Then you record it back into your DAW and line it up. The drift should give you a STEED-like vibe. You can play around with dragging on the tape reels or messing up the cassette motion with the eraser end of a pencil -- it's fun.

I have a nice example on a guitar solo (someone else's record) but I'm not sure I've got it here at the house. When I find it I'll post it if it's cool with the arteest, which I'm sure it will be.

Late edit. Here it is, on the guitar solo about 2/3 of the way down. Pretty sure is it was done with an old Teac 1/4 track, probably at 3 3/4.
Attached Files

Buck_McCoy_Love_Tycoon.mp3 (6.69 MB, 274 views)

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 4 weeks ago at 07:18 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If the guitarist isn't handy or willing, you can also try "fake-STEED." You fly the part off onto analog tape of some sort. The crappier the machine the better up to a point, because you want the motion anomalies. Then you record it back into your DAW and line it up. The drift should give you a STEED-like vibe. You can play around with dragging on the tape reels or messing up the cassette motion with the eraser end of a pencil -- it's fun.

I have a nice example on a guitar solo (someone else's record) but I'm not sure I've got it here at the house. When I find it I'll post it if it's cool with the arteest, which I'm sure it will be.

Late edit. Here it is, on the guitar solo about 2/3 of the way down. Pretty sure is it was done with an old Teac 1/4 track, probably at 3 3/4.
This is pretty cool. Thank you for taking the time. That's pretty much what I'm looking for in the original question.

Reamping through multiple amps/mics/pres/EQ's/etc will beef it up - which is all fine - and moving a copy of the guitar a few ms will create a quick slap back effect, but this technique you speak of recreates that second take better. Since the guitar was DI, I can create this kind of technique, then reamp through diff amp/EQ's/etc.

On another post someone mentioned the Eventide H3000, but no description as to which algorithm, but I'm curious to try ADT and Duo EVO as well - as others mentioned above.

This technique is cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
You could double the track and nudge one forward a few milliseconds.

If you have a delay plug you could modulate the delay time using automation but that might take a while to get it natural sounding.

Personally, I'd look up free modulation plugs like a chorus or something and try it sparingly in the mix.
Double tracked guitar is such an overrated "habit" personally, unless there are two unique parts, I think it sounds crappy.

Put it 25% to the left or right.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Double tracked guitar is such an overrated "habit" personally, unless there are two unique parts, I think it sounds crappy.

Put it 25% to the left or right.
It all depends on the track. To get guitars sounding 'right' on some songs, its absolutely necessary. Sometimes a more intimate sound is needed. If you are recording yourself and don't like that sound, that totally makes sense but when an another artist comes to you for your skill set, you have to serve the song.

Sometimes you can just copy the original part and pan the two parts left right then EQ them differently, boost a frequency on one side, cut it on the other.

Typically, when I think of double tracking (or more) guitars, it's either using the same tone again to thicken the sound up (as in this post) or layering the same performance with different tones to make it sound huge.

This is a great example:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search