The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT4050 vs WA47
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

AT4050 vs WA47

AT4050 vs WA47

If you had to choose between these two microphones for recording mainly acoustic guitar and vocals, which one would you choose?

It’ll be for home-studio use, and I’m looking for the more professional sounding microphone.

Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Quote:
I’m looking for the more professional sounding microphone.
The more expensive one will always be better, but that said, my voice sounds better on a $250 mic than it does a $1200 mic in my opinion. so everyone who says this or that will be better for you, is just guessing.

Back to the point:
More professional then what? Any vocal can be classified as 'professional.'
You can get a professional vocal form a $69 microphone, so if you are not getting the vocals you are hoping for, i bet you already have the equipment to achieve that. A $300 (give or take) mic may not solve your problems.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The more expensive one will always be better, but that said, my voice sounds better on a $250 mic than it does a $1200 mic in my opinion. so everyone who says this or that will be better for you, is just guessing.

Back to the point:
More professional then what? Any vocal can be classified as 'professional.'
You can get a professional vocal form a $69 microphone, so if you are not getting the vocals you are hoping for, i bet you already have the equipment to achieve that. A $300 (give or take) mic may not solve your problems.
Thanks for the input, CJ. While what you say is true, I'm sure professional studios aren't using $250 microphones for their recordings. I guess, in other words, I'm looking for an industry standard among professionals but I'm also on a budget (which is why I narrowed it down to these two microphones).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Quote:
I'm sure professional studios aren't using $250 microphones for their recordings. I guess, in other words,
Are you sure about that? I own a professional studio and I just did a voice over 2 days ago with an AKG 3035 ($200) because i tried a few mics (over 1K) and we liked that one the 3035 the best.

Recording techniques, knowledge of your room and skills are what makes a vocal sound professional.
Quote:
I'm looking for an industry standard among professionals but I'm also on a budget
There are no standards. you use what ever gets you the best sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Are you sure about that? I own a professional studio and I just did a voice over 2 days ago with an AKG 3035 ($200) because i tried a few mics (over 1K) and we liked that one the 3035 the best.

Recording techniques, knowledge of your room and skills are what makes a vocal sound professional.

There are no standards. you use what ever gets you the best sound.
I'm not familiar with voice overs but I assume you're going after something different than if you're recording vocals for a song (which is what I'm aiming to do).

I definitely agree with you regarding recording techniques, knowledge and skill. I'm still looking to get some feedback from some people familiar with the two microphones to see which one they prefer.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Check out this shootout:



WA-47 sounds good, but the newer WA-251 is also nice. I had 4050 for years and never liked them, so I can't recommend them. Also Warm Audio mics look more professional
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
This one is also interesting

Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
Check out this shootout:



WA-47 sounds good, but the newer WA-251 is also nice. I had 4050 for years and never liked them, so I can't recommend them. Also Warm Audio mics look more professional
That WA251 does sound good. I'll have to look into considering that as an option too. Thank you
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Quote:
I'm not familiar with voice overs but I assume you're going after something different than if you're recording vocals for a song (which is what I'm aiming to do).
Its the same thing, A voice is a voice. I record vocals all the time for songs. That was just an example as its fresh in my head.

Some facts for you to consider:
1. The same microphone will sound different in every single room its recorded in.
2. The same mic can sound great for one person and bad for another person.
3. Those videos above where recorded by professions in a controlled environment that is great for vocals.

I cannot tell you how many times someone got a mic from watching a video and then when they went to record with that same mic, it did NOT sound the same as the video.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldylocks View Post
I'm sure professional studios aren't using $250 microphones for their recordings.
They are, constantly. Thousands of vocals have been recorded with excellent dynamics like Sm57's, MD421's or SM7's (the latter two being more expensive, but 2nd hand around 250).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
They are, constantly. Thousands of vocals have been recorded with excellent dynamics like Sm57's, MD421's or SM7's (the latter two being more expensive, but 2nd hand around 250).
Yes, I guess it depends on how the mic responds with the voice, the room, etc. But even with all of that into consideration, I'm sure professionals lean on some mics (more expensive) more than other cheaper mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

I think one of the reasons you are getting the kind of answers that you’re getting is that you say home studio use.

People aren’t recommending these dynamics out of the thought to downgrade the mic models you mention, but because they can help minimize potential unfavorable room sound, road noise, computer and gear noise, air conditioning, etc.

I admit that my first thought was “darn, sounds like a situation for an RE20”. Nice solid professional sound for vocals, not going to get much off mic sound in there. I almost think that’s square one for someone doing something at home.

I think a lot of engineers when faced with a situation where the acoustics or background noise is questionable, would have a singer address something like an RE20, and then use something like one of the LDCs you mention (or better), beside it...and lean on the LDC as desired. And probably an SDC for acoustic guitar, or even drum overhead in rooms that are a little more questionable, before LDC.

But sometimes you have to go by your instinct, and there are going to be pros and cons to any decision you make.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 

It's the person that's professional, not the gear.

Are you just recording yourself or do you have bands and singers you work with?
If you are looking for something you can invest in that will be useful for different applications, buy both and return the one you like the least. Your tool kit is personal. Honestly, I own neither but have used 4050's in the past, they sound great and have a pretty good track record. The 47 is newer but has been getting good reviews, I'd be interested in trying one.

What mics do you currently have? If you already have something of similar quality, it might be a tough decision. If you don't have something similar, either will be a great addition to your studio. Just pick the one that looks the coolest and save up some money for another in the future so you have some options.

Also, if you don't have much now, what you might want to think about is something like a 4033 for your vocal and a small diaphragm for acc. guitar. Your money might go farther and get you more options for capturing sounds that way. More options to use your technique rather than trying to force a single mic choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
I have a 4050 and it always sounds good in the mix. Odd thing is when I shoot it out next to my modded 460 (C12 clone) or other mics (57, Aston Stealth), sometimes I get more of a wow factor listening to them but a lot of the time it's the 4050 recording I pick. I don't know what a WA47 is like. If you can pick up a 2nd hand 4050 it would be worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
4050s sound really great on a lot of things. That to me is a bonus for a number of reasons. A 47 style mic is (imho) a somewhat less versatile mic, and a bit more of a "its great or terrible depending on the source" type mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

I've used both of those mics pretty extensively, and the 4050 is going to be way more versatile. The 47 can sound special, but it can also be way wrong - even when used on the same source it previously sounded great on. The 4050 does a great job on both acoustic and vocals, and really whatever else you throw at it. It won't be the weak link in the chain, that's for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
mark1971's Avatar
 

The 4050 has no tubes, it is nice. I like the 4060. The 4060 is a much better tube LDC for comparison. The 2 micron capsule is the secret to the 4060's delicate sound. The WA47 is a tube type.

Look on the reverb site , they come up used more often nowadays.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

The 4060 is a great mic! But if I could only have one LDC I'd still choose the 4050 because of the extra polar patterns.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
The 4050 is flat to the point of boring, but it is solid and reliable.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
The 4050 is flat to the point of boring, but it is solid and reliable.
For the life of me I don't know how it got that reputation. I think it's mid focused and very forward. It works on just about anything, though, so maybe that's why people feel like it's flat.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
For the life of me I don't know how it got that reputation. I think it's mid focused and very forward. It works on just about anything, though, so maybe that's why people feel like it's flat.
At least in my case, I'm commenting from personal experience and not any sort of reputation. I was primarily using it for vocals, and found it to be completely uninspiring in that use. It is indeed very very flat and that is probably good on a lot of sources.

I think we all say we just want the mic'd source to sound like it does in the room, but for me the 4050 sounded like something less than that. YMMV of course.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
At least in my case, I'm commenting from personal experience and not any sort of reputation. I was primarily using it for vocals, and found it to be completely uninspiring in that use. It is indeed very very flat and that is probably good on a lot of sources.

I think we all say we just want the mic'd source to sound like it does in the room, but for me the 4050 sounded like something less than that. YMMV of course.
The AKG 414XLS is a flat mic. The 4050 has a very forward upper midrange that can push a vocal right through a heavy mix. When I use it for vocals, I usually don't even add any eq in the high-end (other than sometimes taking something away from 5k). It is, though, a very "clean" sounding mic, and I think that's what many people are getting at when they say it's boring. It lacks vibe, and that's probably why it works in just about anything.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
For the life of me I don't know how it got that reputation. I think it's mid focused and very forward. It works on just about anything, though, so maybe that's why people feel like it's flat.
I never find it boring. I find it useful, and sometimes beautiful.

Neko Case seems to agree.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Shannon Adkins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I never find it boring. I find it useful, and sometimes beautiful.

Neko Case seems to agree.
I've tried to upgrade from my 4050 to a more expensive "utility" mic a few times, and each time I've ended up sending the other mic back. It's probably the one mic in my very small collection I'd keep if I could only have one.
I'm still wanting to try that Advanced Audio CM67 you reviewed.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I've tried to upgrade from my 4050 to a more expensive "utility" mic a few times, and each time I've ended up sending the other mic back. It's probably the one mic in my very small collection I'd keep if I could only have one.
I'm still wanting to try that Advanced Audio CM67 you reviewed.
Yeah, the 4050 will always be useful.

The CM67 is a wonderful mic. I need to get one...




Or two
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
No way to go wrong with the 4050 for AC guitar and vocals and the multi-patterns are a huge help in a home studio.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
s12512's Avatar
What’s your setup like? Acoustics? Preamp? Interface? Etc?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
chucknkd / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2
malsidious / So Much Gear, So Little Time
9
liv4ree / So Much Gear, So Little Time
19

Forum Jump
Forum Jump