The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Einstürzende vocal mics...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Einstürzende vocal mics...

I always loved the amazing production quality of Einstürzende Neubauten, especially the vocal sound on their contemporary releases... I know it's Blixa's melodramatic smooth yet raspy voice - he sounds great singing and reciting into anything, but still...

Does anyone recognize the two mics in this studio video? And what would the two mic set up be for - soft and loud parts maybe?

https://youtu.be/UxB2IHNbvlw
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Contemporary? The video is from 1999. One of the two vocal mics - the exotic looking one - could be the "Neumann Flasche" ("Flasche" is the german word for bottle), CMV3 / M7. There are ones with a Neumann and ones with a Telefunken label. The first pics show the M7 capsule with a "larger bottle".

Here is a version with a slimmer body: the one lying in front. I'm very sure it is the mic in the video closer to Blixa Bargeld.
The M7/CMV3 is the second from the right side on the following picture. Looks like the top with the capsule (M7) is the same:

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Re------DUKT! I saw them do this live. It was nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The dark grey mic looks more like AKG’s “The Tube” to me. The mic also has the metal ring piece towards the top of the headbasket, which not many other mics had in 1999 alongside that particular mic shape and size. I think that also rules out the likeliness of that particular mic being a Gefell.

The other mic looks a lot like a Neumann Gefell CMV563 with some kind of Neumann head...probably M7 or M8. I think it’s a CMV563 because the size of the capsule head and post is all together about the same length as the mic body, which I think probably rules out the CMV3.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Google Sound on Sound Alexander Hacke. He talked in some detail about their gear.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1Disco2 View Post
Re------DUKT! I saw them do this live. It was nice.
Me too, I saw them several times, once in Vienna on their 25th anniversary tour - they played for more than two hours... it was an amazing gig! Superb sound, too.

I also did interview with Blixa for our independent radio on that occasion - he only accepted a few "indie" journalists, no mainstream media... but he was rather unpleasant... he reminds me a bit of Klaus Kinski - a brilliant, yet difficult man...

As "contemporary" I meant ca. post the 90's "Tabula Rasa" album... when they started with this sophisticated sound...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Me too, I saw them several times, once in Vienna on their 25th anniversary tour - they played for more than two hours... it was an amazing gig! Superb sound, too.

I also did interview with Blixa for our independent radio on that occasion - he only accepted a few "indie" journalists, no mainstream media... but he was rather unpleasant... he reminds me a bit of Klaus Kinski - a brilliant, yet difficult man...

As "contemporary" I meant ca. post the 90's "Tabula Rasa" album... when they started with this sophisticated sound...
He definitely has that self-important vibe about him, but the music is great, so he is forgiven . I was super excited that they released Grundstueck on vinyl recently . I had the original supporters CD and consider it one of their better albums.

I saw them on both the Ende Neu and Perpetuum Mobile tours. They were absolutely amazing both times.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It was more a curiosity question... and sharing a really nice studio video... for any fans around... As I read in the more recent times they use Brauner VM1 for vocals... but the key is his voice - he could sing/talk into anything really... has such a nice timbre and great articulation...

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...bautens-lament

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search