The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic cable replacement(7pin)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Mic cable replacement(7pin)

So I need a replacement 7 pin cable for my Stellar CM6.
After years of trusty service, the cable started cutting in and out. I zeroed in on where the problem is so I know it's the cable and NOT the mic or power supply. I'm also not that good with soldering so I'm not going to try and repair it.

My question is, does Stellar use proprietary cable, or are most 7 pin cables the same??. If so I can just buy any one off the shelf, yes?.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not sure whether most 7 pin cables are proprietary or not. Back when multi pin connectors like this were first developed manufacturers weren't bound by IEEE standards. Each manufacturer could use their own wiring choices and when someone had a cable go bad they typically bought the cable from the specific gear manufacturer. Over time the gear manufacturers which were the biggest and most popular would have their standards adopted over other.

Unfortunately multi pin cables for tube mics can still be manufacturer specific depending on the types of circuits used. I'm not familiar with many of the newer tube mics however so they may be using something standard now but its not something you can guess on. You'd need to dig up the manufacturers specs or schematics in order to verify is some other manufacturers cable would work.

Fortunately you can get a custom cable made for the 7 pin types. I suggest you get one of these. They likely make them up (or have them made up) for the popular tube mic types. If it was an obscure mic type you could contact them with the info or send them your dead cable and they could build a replacement from it. The pricing doesn't look bad and Neutrik connectors are decent so its a better then buying something blind. https://www.redco.com/Redco-7-pin-Tube-Mic-Cable.html
Old 3 weeks ago
Contact Gotham USA

http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/index.html

They should be able to provide a suitable cable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks very much,,,,,I will follow up with this

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search