The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with acoustic resonance
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Help with acoustic resonance

Hey there. I'm having difficulty recording without getting these annoying resonances as you can hear in this short sample from a song I'm making.

I'm recording in a garage without acoustic treatment (yes, I know...). I used a Martin DX1RAE going into an AT 4041 ( I also have a SM57 and a Advanced Audio CM47 FET) poiting at the bottom inside corner of the body about 6 inches away pointing away from the soundhole. That goes into a solo 610 which then goes into my id14 into cubase artist 7.5.

I've tried different areas of the garage but I can't go too far away from the computer when I'm playing both recording engineer and guitar player.

Any suggestions or ideas from you guys?

Edit: When I eq them out the problem frequncies I have targeted for this are 308, 512, 622, 1109...But I don't want to have to make these kind of cuts everytime I record....
Attached Files

acoustic.wav (4.40 MB, 237 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post

Any suggestions or ideas from you guys?
Get out of the garage

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Paying a little closer attention...I think its the guitar itself...It seems to ring out when I play the open G string in a chord (C or G chord) the most(I tried arpeggiating it that is when I heard the resonance most. Also my vocals don't have this resonance issue when I record in the same spot pretty much....
Old 4 weeks ago
Yeah those DX series aren't the worlds greatest guitars. Probably just the note making friends with a sympathetic frequency though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Yeah those DX series aren't the worlds greatest guitars. Probably just the note making friends with a sympathetic frequency though.
And you think this has to do with the room?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
And you think this has to do with the room?
Yeah
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Dang....Thanks for the input...Is there anything I can do? I can't exactly just record wherever I want...Far too much of a hastle setting everything up in another room. Can I build a wall of some material maybe?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Dang....Thanks for the input...Is there anything I can do? I can't exactly just record wherever I want...Far too much of a hastle setting everything up in another room. Can I build a wall of some material maybe?
I used to let the hassle bother me too. But it's just part of the process. Make setting up in a better room a jubilant ritual of dedication to sound.

If that sucks then yeah...maybe throw up some thick blankets on mic stands or something.

Last edited by hello people; 4 weeks ago at 11:40 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hang moving blankets, they're pretty cheap. Or make an eq template and save.

g
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Put any kind of absorption around. Including the floor.
Then experiment when the mic placement as well.

any low level sustained information will go up if you compress it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You're not really recording that Martin, you know. You are recording the voice of the room...with the Martin in it.

As has been mentioned absorption and diffusion will be your new friends.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Turns out it was the nut slot for the g-string was 1/100th of a millimetre off angle....A guitar tech shaved it down with 2 strokes and the problem is gone haha.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search