The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Specific Vocal Doubling Advice! (Please help)
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Specific Vocal Doubling Advice! (Please help)

Greetings!
New user here looking for advice on something specific.

I am providing examples of the doubling style I’m looking for:

https://youtu.be/gtZw6TtflJI

https://youtu.be/dgPoRi08pFk

https://youtu.be/jWytspIAXXI

https://youtu.be/RwljyjvohSo

I have been trying to achieve a nice vocal doubling effect like these example. Unfortunately mine sound “robotic” or phasey and nothing like above. I’ve been using multiple vocal takes for a mix I’m working on, cleaning them and tuning/smoothing them in pitch correction and not using auto tune on any. After I process, I nudge and pan a take hard left, nudge different take pan hard right and one in middle. Yet for some reason they are sounding “robotic”. I’m wondering if smoothing-tuning them out even the slightest bit / not keeping completely natural or making them nearly identical is what gives that phasey robotic sound? How can I stop this from happening? Maybe lighten up on the melodyne? Any advice on best way to achieve a nice solid vocal double like these tracks above?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Unfortunately mine sound “robotic” or phasey and nothing like above. I’ve been using multiple vocal takes for a mix I’m working on
The phase is caused by phase. But you said they are different vocal takes, so that is kinds impossible. The robotic sound is the way you are singing and processing it.

To achieve double takes like they way you want them to sound like, you need to record them like that. do not rely on getting that sound in the mix. You need to get that sound out of your mouth first and you need to acquire the skills to do double takes so they sound like that.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The phase is caused by phase. But you said they are different vocal takes, so that is kinds impossible. The robotic sound is the way you are singing and processing it.

To achieve double takes like they way you want them to sound like, you need to record them like that. do not rely on getting that sound in the mix. You need to get that sound out of your mouth first and you need to acquire the skills to do double takes so they sound like that.
So basically just record the doubles to as close to the lead as possible and keep them natural/very light processing? This will stop that "robotic" double sound I presume?

Also, is there a specific way to make them sound appealing in mono? I'm noticing when playing certain mixes I'm making via. phone speaker it's makes that "robotic" sound even more prominent.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
So basically just record the doubles to as close to the lead as possible
Yes
Quote:
and keep them natural/very light processing?
You can do what ever you want to get the sound you want (Light or heavy processing). what ever works for you.
Quote:
Also, is there a specific way to make them sound appealing in mono?
A vocal is mono. if it doesn't sound good, you need to look at its source an d fix it.
Quote:
I'm noticing when playing certain mixes I'm making via. phone speaker it's makes that "robotic" sound even more prominent.
Sound like a mixing and mastering problems. Lean more, read more, study more and practice more
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Yes

You can do what ever you want to get the sound you want (Light or heavy processing). what ever works for you.

A vocal is mono. if it doesn't sound good, you need to look at its source an d fix it.

Sound like a mixing and mastering problems. Lean more, read more, study more and practice more
Thanks.
Been going at it on my own now without co-producers for about a year now so still learning.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything specific I was missing.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

If anybody has any other advice / techniques when it comes to solid and powerful vocal doubling that doesn't sound like robotic aliens, please drop a line!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Great doubling takes time to perfect.

I put the original lead in only one side of my headphones not in both - it really helps.

Listen a few times to the part then double it - if you're musical you can track the original vocal to within a hair - it sounds fantastic when done properly - I also sometimes triple a vocal.

I never ever use any processing or alinement software on doubles it just kills the vibe completely.

Sometimes, for some styles of music I'll deliberately be looser with my tracking the original part and drift in and out a touch as I like that effect too - especially on rock stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search