The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do shotgun mics always sound so bad when i use them?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
The capsule placement. The capsule is abouts where arrow is pointing

Matti

P.S. I was in the film industry my share
When you used one, what did you think that gold thing was behind the brass thing-with-the-holes-in-it (looking at it straight-on)?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here are a couple of photos that may help.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do shotgun mics always sound so bad when i use them?-neumann-kmr-81-d_31.jpg  
Attached Images
Why do shotgun mics always sound so bad when i use them?-th.jpg 
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My last comment on this subject.
I started in the film industry as a sound technician 1973 so been using many mics... KMR 81 came mid 80´ties I think.
In the picture is the insides of the KMR 81 interference tube -no capsule there
Read the microphone theory, how they work actually.

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Why do shotgun mics always sound so bad when i use them?-s-l300.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've used 416's for VO in all kinds and sizes of pro situations. I have no idea why OP's should sound like boxy crapola, unless his ultra-treated room is also ultra-tiny.
I think thats my problem. The room is only 12x12x8
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggerTugger View Post
I think thats my problem. The room is only 12x12x8
squares are even worse than rectangles, generally speaking
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
squares are even worse than rectangles, generally speaking
Sure. But for a single VO, 12 X 12 is almost vast (low ceiling, though). Plenty of room for absorption and trapping.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Maybe it's the sound of your voice you don't like? The Schoeps are pretty natural sounding mics and the MKH416 has a peaky brightness to it! Maybe the reason you like the U47 is cause it's adding some color n weight to your voice? Record something so we can hear your tonality!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I have a Sennheiser ME66 shotgun mic; superb mic but when used indoors (in regular home studio-type scenario) it can sound boxy or 'phasey' due to the side-rejection properties of the mic's design: reflections from the room walls interfere with the direct signal (within the mic) affecting the capture of the source.
Yes, and sadly the ME66 is more a student grade instrument. Good at its price point but not on the same level as the MKH 416.

All interference tube mics suffer from weird anomalies when used in a reflective environment because they're much more omni directional at middle and low frequencies.

The longer the interference tube the weirder the sound.

The Sanken CS-3e is an anomaly. It looks like an interference tube mic, but the capsule is actually placed at the tip and side capsules that help form the pattern are below it. The new short shotgun Sanken CS-M1 is better as are the DPA 4018 and 4018c.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Yes, and sadly the ME66 is more a student grade instrument. Good at its price point but not on the same level as the MKH 416.

All interference tube mics suffer from weird anomalies when used in a reflective environment because they're much more omni directional at middle and low frequencies.

The longer the interference tube the weirder the sound.

The Sanken CS-3e is an anomaly. It looks like an interference tube mic, but the capsule is actually placed at the tip and side capsules that help form the pattern are below it. The new short shotgun Sanken CS-M1 is better as are the DPA 4018 and 4018c.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Nothing sad about it Ty; I actually bought the K6/ME66 as a field mic for recording environmental sounds when I was starting out - as a student (couldn't afford the 416 at the time). Out-of-doors it is remarkably quiet (with the Sound Devices 702 recorder) and a great mic in difficult spots/conditions: for example, yesterday it was perched on a ledge outside my window to record the finches.

I have found uses for it indoors too; great vocal mic for spoken word/interviews and with careful positioning the phase cancellation can be utilised for instruments. Sometimes I use it on percussion.

I always thought I'd get a 416 but ended up using a Rode NT1A and NT4 (both very quiet) mainly for the soundstage of the soundscape, then using the ME66 to pick up specific details.

Haven't tried any of the mics you mention (or any other shotgun mics) but thanks for the recommendations. I liked the DPA 6060 I tried.

Best, Arthur
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I don't do much location recording but from a limit experience doing it i found all you need are these 3 pieces of gear, a DPA 4060 Lav, a DPA 4018 for close and a DPA 4017 for wide shots! Use to be a fan of the Schoeps CMIT until i discovered DPA. But i'm getting off topic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search