The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about Bias - Otari MX5050
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Question about Bias - Otari MX5050

Hi all, speaking of my Otari MX5050 mkiii 8 track:

I haven't messed with the bias yet, but was able to obtain a 0 VU reading at both 1K and 10K while in record mode, listening off the repro heads. The Otari 8 track has a built-in oscillator, and I've depressed the SRL switches, so everything is consistent at VU now, from input levels to repro levels.

However, I haven't adjusted the bias yet. Should I have done this first, and then reset the record/repro levels to 0 on the VU meters once the bias was complete? I've found so many threads addressing calibration/bias, but am still confused. When all is said and done, should the VU meters read zero?

I even have the original manual, but even it is confusing at times.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 6 days ago
No one's answering because it's such a long complicated answer.

Do you have an MRL tape? First do the repro alignment using the MRL, then set the record bias, then do the record alignment.

There's a lot of info here, much of which will apply to your machine.
http://www.analogrules.com/basicalign.html

I had the same machine about 20 years ago and I can't remember much about aligning it except that it follows the same basic rules as most other machines.

If you're currently able to record audio that plays back at the same level and sounds the same frequency response-wise as the input signal then you might be alright with your current alignment...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search