The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Confusion on external bus hookup Mixers (Analog)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Confusion on external bus hookup

Hey everyone, i'm looking to hookup my FMR RNC 1773 to my Ferrofish A-16 ad/da for some parallel compression, im a little confused on the routing though.
Heres what the manual states

"The RNC is designed to interface with unbalanced audio gear (nominal operating level = 0dBu) two distinct ways:

1) TRS Inserts — The RNC can be hooked into Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) insert points found on many consoles where: TIP = Console insert out, RING = Console insert in, SLEEVE = Ground reference. This means that each channel of the RNC can be hooked to a each channel of a TRS console insert with a single TRS cable.

For example, on my Mackie 1604VLZ, the main out has left and right insert points so that my RNC can be put in the main out insert (Left and right) with only two TRS cables!

2) All Other Equipment — Hooking up the RNC to gear other than TRS inserts must be done with a pair of TS (Tip-Sleeve) jacks for each RNC channel. Thus, the full stereo hook-up of an RNC must be done with four TS 1/4'' cables.

NOTE — Hooking up the RNC to balanced lines with TRS 1/4'' plugs will not work!
If the equipment you are connecting the RNC to is balanced, you must first unbalance it and
only connect into the RNC with TS 1/4'' plugs."

The outputs/inputs on my ferrofish ad/da are all balanced, so apparently i need to find a way to unbalance my signal before sending it to the compressor, then rebalance it on the way back to my ad/da? how would i accomplish this? or am i just confused. thanks for any help !
Old 1 week ago
If you are hell bent on going out of the digital realm to go into an average compressor that is worst than most plugin compressors, you will need balanced to unbalanced converter box.

If i was you, i would use a plugin compressor and not take your signal in and out of the digital realm to go into that compressor. Its not worth it in my opinion.
Now, if you got a Manley slam, then its worth it..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search