The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inexpensive Pro Tools setup DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Inexpensive Pro Tools setup

I haven’t upgraded my PT LE setup for about 10 years. Need everything except monitors. What’s the best setup for the money?

Sorry if this is redundant, I did a search and old threads popped up. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntknowsht View Post
I haven’t upgraded my PT LE setup for about 10 years. Need everything except monitors. What’s the best setup for the money?

Sorry if this is redundant, I did a search and old threads popped up. Thanks!
The best set-up for a non disclosed amount of money can be most every set up possible. As there is no budget and the set up depends on your personnel preferences and needs and we all have different needs and preferences.

So there there is no best set up. Except the one that is best for you and only you. Buy what you need and do not buy what you do not need.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Do want an endless list of everyone’s favorite gear or do you want actually helpful responses? If you want the latter, then you need to provide more information about what your needs are. Are you recording and/or mixing? How many input channels do you need? Are you also shopping for a computer or already have one? If so, what kind? And so on. Please make more of an effort.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, hearing everyone’s favorite setup would be helpful; least expensive is a plus. Need computer and audio interface, need 16 channels.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntknowsht View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, hearing everyone’s favorite setup would be helpful; least expensive is a plus. Need computer and audio interface, need 16 channels.
What does 16 channels mean? Inputs? Outputs? On-screen tracks?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
What does 16 channels mean? Inputs? Outputs? On-screen tracks?
Both

Last edited by dntknowsht; 1 week ago at 10:36 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

PT LE is long out of support. You'd need an old Mac to be able to use it.

Better to find an interface you like, with 8 preamps and ADAT Optical to make 16, and find one that comes with PT First.
Or get it here and shop for an interface.
https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/pro-tools-first/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
PT LE is long out of support. You'd need an old Mac to be able to use it.

Better to find an interface you like, with 8 preamps and ADAT Optical to make 16, and find one that comes with PT First.
Or get it here and shop for an interface.
https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/pro-tools-first/
Yeah thank you, I’m looking to upgrade my audio interface and computer. I’ve already subscribed to PT 12
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the replies. So does anyone have a computer and audio interface combination that’s relatively inexpensive, that they’d like to recommend?
I’m interested in an inexpensive PT setup for a home studio that has 16 inputs. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Define inexpensive? Everyone has different budgets. For an interface, I'd say look at the Focusrite Scarlett with 8 inputs and add a Behringer ADA8200 with ADAT
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicnomad View Post
Define inexpensive? Everyone has different budgets. For an interface, I'd say look at the Focusrite Scarlett with 8 inputs and add a Behringer ADA8200 with ADAT
thank you for the recommendation. I’m defining inexpensive as the inexpensive options amidst the whole field of options.
Old 1 week ago
I guess I meant if you had a certain budget in mind. For some people 1000 bucks is inexpensive, for others it's 50.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ok, so firstly you should read up a lot more about the sort of gear you're trying to find. From your comments it seems like you don't know nearly enough about the subject to make an informed decision.

That said. If you need an ad/da along with 16 preamps you have a few choices:
You could go the route of something like a Scarlett 18i20 with a preamp that has an adat out. Read up on that solution here: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ad...dio-interface/ That'll set you back about 430€ on the scarlett and whatever the additional preamp is. Focusrite have some of their own pres that'll fit this bill. This'll be good enough for quite a while.

Or maybe you could find a cheapish used 8 channel preamp with analog outputs and pair it with something like a Tascam 16x08. That'll be a bit cheaper but the conversion and the tascam's own pres are of lower quality. (Still good enough for any project/home studio imo) The tascam can be found around 200-250€ used.

Then there are a ton of other brands with the same sort of options.

Then there's the more expensive and confusing route of separate ad/da and preamps with stuff like madi, pcie cards and the sorts, but I have a feeling you're not there yet.

I'd suggest building your own pc if you're on a budget and have the time time to research. Again read up. You'll save hundreds compared to getting a ready for recording mac. You'll need 16gb of RAM (8gb min) a CPU with at least a benchmard of 8000 and at least 4-6 cores, preferably an SSD for Pro Tools and a fast bigger HD or if you can afford it a bigger SSD for file storage (don't bother with gpus, you'll save a bunch if you go with the internal and Pro Tools will crash or glitch regardless of the quality of gpu). If you won't build it yourself you'll pay 200-600€ more. (the same minimum requirements for the computer would apply in all cases) And if you buy a mac it'll set you back around a grand more. This setup should last you for around 5-10 years in an ok working condition.

Also you should think about reframing your questions a bit better. Maybe try asking, "What should I search for to find how to get 16 channels in to my computer" and "what sort specs in a computer affect recording and mixing and how much" etc. and then do the research yourself. The information is already out there you just have to know where to look and that's imo what you should be asking. Now you're throwing the net so wide that if you catch anything that'll not go through the holes it'll be so big you'll never get it in the boat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the helpful response Finnmaker

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search