The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best outside the drum LDC Kick mic under 1k?
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

Best outside the drum LDC Kick mic under 1k?

Beating my head against the wall trying to make a decision. Been surfing the net all week and found a few contenders. Starting to lean towards the AT 4047. Also considering a tube mic like the WA-47.

Looking for warm, round, vintage tone. Nothing modern or hyped.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

I was very underwhelmed with the 4047 on outside kick (and in general...) when I owned one. An AKG C414B-ULS sounds great and takes eq really well and can be had for half your budget.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

tlm 102
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
An AKG C414B-ULS sounds great and takes eq really well and can be had for half your budget.
wouldn't a large kick drum will shatter that capsule? hopefully not. Those mics are great on hihats and OH though. I am always afraid to put mine on drums. Not even becasue of SPL but I feel like an ape man style drummer is going to whack it with a heavy drums stick.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac
at 4047 FET all the way. great mic. super affordable.

only mic i like better is a neuman u47 FET or the lawson L47 FET
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru

When I had 4047s I used them there quite a bit. Lately I've been using sE X1D or T2, both sound very good there.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear
Advanced Audio CM47ve
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Aston origin rules on pretty much everything. Also, if you can find one, I like the m-audio Sputnik
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear
Once in a while, an old beat up Neumann 170 goes for that.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
wouldn't a large kick drum will shatter that capsule? hopefully not. Those mics are great on hihats and OH though. I am always afraid to put mine on drums. Not even becasue of SPL but I feel like an ape man style drummer is going to whack it with a heavy drums stick.
They’re rated to take a max SPL of 134db, unpadded wideband or 140 @ 1khz. With the -18db pad that puts you at 152/158db, respectively. That’s a sherman tank firing off a shell @ 1ft distance. A kick drum a few inches away doesn’t clock in anywhere close to that. I’ve used those mics as snare close mics and on halfstacks cranked to 11 with no issues.

Your point about drummers nailing them is valid. I love those mics on toms, but I only use them on drummers that I personally know have good aim. Other drummers get Audix D4’s, which can take a beating all day long.

However, it only costs $21 and some change to buy a genuine AKG silver business end replacement grille for a C414B-ULS from full compass systems, and it takes a few minutes to swap it out yourself. The capsule is far enough away from the grille that even a hard hit causing a dent won’t hurt. And those grilles are pretty sturdy.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 17th May 2019 at 04:29 PM..
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

no need for expensive ldc's, i'm fine with a d12, re20, md421 or m88.

p.s. i do have a u47fet which i like a lot but many other less expensive mics work very well too, including more 'modern' mics such as beta52, d6, d112 etc.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Nut

I'm using an AT3035 on outside kick and it ain't bad.

Last edited by Dokterrock; 17th May 2019 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th May 2019
I had a Stam Audio 47FET for a while and it worked great on outside kick.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
They’re rated to take a max SPL of 134db, unpadded wideband or 140 @ 1khz. With the -18db pad that puts you at 152/158db, respectively. That’s a sherman tank firing off a shell @ 1ft distance. A kick drum a few inches away doesn’t clock in anywhere close to that. I’ve used those mics as snare close mics and on halfstacks cranked to 11 with no issues.

Your point about drummers nailing them is valid. I love those mics on toms, but I only use them on drummers that I personally know have good aim. Other drummers get Audix D4’s, which can take a beating all day long.

However, it only costs $21 and some change to buy a genuine AKG silver business end replacement grille for a C414B-ULS from full compass systems, and it takes a few minutes to swap it out yourself. The capsule is far enough away from the grille that even a hard hit causing a dent won’t hurt. And those grilles are pretty sturdy.
Thanks, Mine broke on a floor tom once so I thought it was SPL, I guess I'm mistaken.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was very underwhelmed with the 4047 on outside kick (and in general...) when I owned one. An AKG C414B-ULS sounds great and takes eq really well and can be had for half your budget.
This has been my experience as well. I keep trying the 4047 on outside kick just because GS loves it there but 414s always have a deeper, round bottom, which is what I look for in that position. As they say, YMMV.....it's a good mic for other things though, but I haven't find anything it really shines on.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head
I am very pleased with an older Blue Mouse that I purchased at a good price used.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Another vote for a 414. Never had an issue with them withstanding SPL on kick out or toms. Another great option for kick out is a 3U Warbler.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search