The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there any reason to own vintage sampler nowadays?
View Poll Results: Is there a reason to own vintage sampler nowadays?
Yes
15 Votes - 93.75%
No
1 Votes - 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th May 2019
Gear Head
Is there any reason to own vintage sampler nowadays?

Hello everyone,

don't want to start any flame war, just looking for some personal opinions on this matter.

With the advent of software samplers and all the Octatracks and Digitakts, is there any valid reason in 2019 to own a genuine vintage sampler? If there is, what it is?

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

EDIT: just for the sake of clarity, let's say that "vintage epoch" ended in 1992.

Last edited by xsazadf; 16th May 2019 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

timing audio to hardware.

in regard to "vintage" they had 16/44.1 down at the turn of the ninetys.
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
is there any valid reason in 2019 to own a genuine vintage sampler? If there is, what it is?
There can be thousands of reasons why someone would have a valid reason to have one. One reason is because they like certain sounds from it.
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
There can be thousands of reasons why someone would have a valid reason to have one. One reason is because they like certain sounds from it.
So I take it that having the specific sound is your reason. Correct?
Old 16th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsazadf View Post
So I take it that having the specific sound is your reason. Correct?
That can be one of my hundred reasons why i would. There are many reasons why you or someone would use one
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Not at all. Only stupid people buy hardware samplers to begin with. Especially 16 bit samplers. Kontakt sounds exactly the same. It also sounds better. At the same time. Don't ask me how that works.

Don't bid on hardware samplers on Ebay. They're not worth anything. And BTW, I heard of a guy who got electrocuted while using one, and another guy I know even got killed when he tried to buy one on Craigslist.

Kontakt, dude. It's real. Listen to those smooth highs, punchy and weighty lows and its full and dimensional, present, characterful sound. Incredible. Also, you can use it without having to buy mixers and MIDI cables. Money saved is money earned.

Don't waste your money. Stay with Kontakt.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Just get a Volca Sample. Combines the best of 2019 mod sequencing with the best of 1985 sample memory
Old 16th May 2019
if you want a certain sound aesthetic, and lust after that era of music then yes...but you have to be committed to that sound to do it...
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

I still use my Roland S760 and Yamaha A3000. I prefer it to Kontakt by a long chalk. It's true that what goes into the S760 isn't necessarily true to exactly what comes back out and it's a lot more effort. Zip discs are slow and noisy. Editing on the small screen and diving through the various menus/pages is a challenge and a chore (less so once you've been using it for 20 years+ like I have) but I like what it gives, how it sounds, how the o.s responds, the work flow... etc. The list goes on. I also like that I've been using the S760 when I was sequencing using Music X on a Commodore Amiga. Then changed to an Apple LCII with Cubase. Then to a PC and various versions of Cubase, XG Works... etc. Now I'm on a Mac running Protools and I can still use my libraries from when I was a schoolboy with no additional investment (updates etc). Let's see if Kontakt will be as resilient in 10 years time.

These reasons are good enough for me. If after 20+ years one of my samplers gives up, I won't be thinking twice about replacing it. I'll probably even be tempted to pay slightly over the odds. I've actually been considering picking up an Akai S6000 or one of the Z samplers for the last couple of years.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Nut

The effects on the SP-404 and 303 are pretty unique. You can get close with software, but if you want THAT sound it’s often easiest to just use what the people who were making it used. Not sure if SP series counts as vintage, but definitely a hardware sampler. That said, I rarely use mine anymore.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsazadf View Post
Hello everyone,

don't want to start any flame war, just looking for some personal opinions on this matter.

With the advent of software samplers and all the Octatracks and Digitakts, is there any valid reason in 2019 to own a genuine vintage sampler? If there is, what it is?

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

EDIT: just for the sake of clarity, let's say that "vintage epoch" ended in 1992.
Samplers like the Akai S950 or Ensoniq ASRX with their lower resolutions can add an immediate grind and grit to samples, which can work nicely in particular types of mixes. You can emulate this ITB in many cases, but getting a sound defined at the source has benefits.
Old 17th May 2019
Quote:
Only stupid people buy hardware samplers to begin with.

I guess Herbie Hancock is the stupidest one ever according to your views
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I guess Herbie Hancock is the stupidest one ever according to your views
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

...once you get your hands on something like a emax a mirage a SP1200/12 or a MPC60 the question becomes obsolet. You are never again going to see a revival of that kind of quality engineering because of the majors marketing department who are only in for a fast buck and mass production in china.

If you ever get the chance to take a look into a emax and compare the guts to any sampler produced in the last 15 years you'll get the idea. Its like in ancient days when they built epic cathedrals designed to last 1000's of years compared to new architecture that is focused on profitability and ephemerality...

No binary 0/1 calculation will ever be able to re-create the sound of a mirage or a vintage emu....

And than there's another factor. Vintage gear is fun to use and the looks are dope. There's a immediacy to these vintage samplers that is very inspiring. I barely used a manual in the many vintage samplers that went through my hands in the last 20years. The usability will support your creativity. Looking at something like the akai force that stands for a new area of stuffing gear with silly flashing lights and gazillion of functions that are forcing you to divert your creative power into absurd workflows instead of spontaneity.

You may recall the area of VCR/VHS recorders whose development peaked in the mid 90ies. In order to compete in the market they stuffed their recorders with tons of features that in reality were actually never been used by the consumers. Infact it forced people to study manuals while the early recorders were hands-on fun and easy to use.

If you think now of a whole setup with that kind of creativity absorbing gear you'll easily end up waisting a lot of your precious time in configuration marathon instead of making music. Not to talk about the overload of childish flashing buttons.

Last edited by akai612; 18th May 2019 at 10:49 AM..
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

They are character machines. I have one sampler that is too unreliable to count on, for everyday use, that I do a lot of my sampling on. Just for the sound. Nothing sounds like the EPS Classic. I run 3 other Vintage hardware samplers in my setup that process almost everything else.

https://youtu.be/l60w_YuBC3A
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Not at all. Only stupid people buy hardware samplers to begin with. Especially 16 bit samplers. Kontakt sounds exactly the same. It also sounds better. At the same time. Don't ask me how that works.

Don't bid on hardware samplers on Ebay. They're not worth anything. And BTW, I heard of a guy who got electrocuted while using one, and another guy I know even got killed when he tried to buy one on Craigslist.

Kontakt, dude. It's real. Listen to those smooth highs, punchy and weighty lows and its full and dimensional, present, characterful sound. Incredible. Also, you can use it without having to buy mixers and MIDI cables. Money saved is money earned.

Really ? - I'd challenge you to share a set of usable samples you created from scratch of your own instruments in Kontakt - I think you might not know what a hardware sampler is actually used for. How did you go about licensing the rights to publish your samples for use in Kontakt from NI ?
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
That was not your initial intention. You call it a joke now, after being called out on it and realizing you said something really stupid.
nowhere in your comments are anything pertain to a joke,. you where serious.
Here is what you said in FULL CONTEXT Below. No smileys, no inotation to joking. You just say it now, as you've been called out on it. Shame!! Shame shame on you!!!
Quote:
"Not at all. Only stupid people buy hardware samplers to begin with. Especially 16 bit samplers. Kontakt sounds exactly the same. It also sounds better. At the same time. Don't ask me how that works."
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That was not your initial intention. You call it a joke now, after being called out on it and realizing you said something really stupid.
nowhere in your comments are anything pertain to a joke,. you where serious.
Here is what you said in FULL CONTEXT Below. No smileys, no inotation to joking. You just say it now, as you've been called out on it. Shame!! Shame shame on you!!!
Haha. For your sake, I am seriously hoping you're taking the piss.
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
I take what i need. But for your sake, you should own up to your original intentions like a real man!!
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I take what i need. But for your sake, you should own up to your original intentions like a real man!!
Hehe, I am going to be nice and assume that you're actually not this stupid.
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
Hehe, I am going to be nice and assume that you're actually not this stupid.
I'm not the stupid one saying stupid things like this below
Quote:
"Not at all. Only stupid people buy hardware samplers to begin with. Especially 16 bit samplers. Kontakt sounds exactly the same. It also sounds better. At the same time. Don't ask me how that works."
Now who is stupid for saying what? Ill do this all day with you..
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Your opinion means nothing, seriously. You're a nobody, who's done nothing of relevance, and you're insanely ignorant judging by your posts. Why the hell would anyone listen to you?

By the way, has anyone besides me noticed that he has 2 vintage Akai samplers (S600 and S900) listed in his 'My Studio' lol?

His 'studio':

500 Series Dynamics
xpressor 500
elysia xpressor 500
Stereo Bus Compressor 500 Series
Solid State Logic Stereo Bus Compressor 500 Series
500 Series EQ\'s
PEX-500
Lindell Audio PEX-500
500 Series Preamps
512c
API Audio 512c
Analog Processors (HW)
Sherman Filterbank 2x2
Xlogic X-Rack
Solid State Logic Xlogic X-Rack
Audio Interfaces
Eleven Rack
Avid Eleven Rack
Fireface UFX
RME Fireface UFX
HDSPe RayDAT
RME HDSPe RayDAT
Channel Strip Plugins
Amethyst3
Acustica Audio Amethyst3
Summit Audio Grand Channel
Softube Summit Audio Grand Channel
SSL E Series Channel Strip Plug-In
Universal Audio SSL E Series Channel Strip Plug-In
Desktop Synthesizers
Telemark 2
Analogue Solutions Telemark 2
Nord Lead 4R
Clavia Nord Lead 4R
Nord Rack 3
Clavia Nord Rack 3
Evolver Synth Module
Dave Smith Instruments Evolver Synth Module
Prophet '08 Module
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 Module
Hades
Dreadbox Hades
Analog Four
Elektron Analog Four
Monomachine SFX60+ MKII
Elektron Monomachine SFX60+ MKII
Minitaur (Rev 2)
Moog Minitaur (Rev 2)
MB33
Music and More (MaM) MB33
Aira SYSTEM-1m
Roland Aira SYSTEM-1m
PERfourMER MKII
Vermona PERfourMER MKII
Microwave XT
Waldorf Microwave XT
Pulse
Waldorf Pulse
Digital Converters
Universal Audio 2192
Drum Machines & Samplers
S6000
Akai Professional S6000
S900
Akai Professional S900

SR-18
Alesis SR-18
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW+ MKII
Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 UW+ MKII
Electribe ER-1
Korg Electribe ER-1
Aira TR-8
Roland Aira TR-8
MC-505
Roland MC-505
W-30
Roland W-30
DRM-1 MKIII
Vermona DRM-1 MKIII
Drum Pad Controllers
Maschine
Native Instruments Maschine
DSP Audio Systems
UAD-2 OCTO Ultimate 2 Card
Universal Audio UAD-2 OCTO Ultimate 2 Card
Dual-Channel Preamps
Pacifica
A-Designs Audio Pacifica
MPA II
ART Pro Audio MPA II
Dynamics Plugins
Pink2412
Acustica Audio Pink2412
nvelope
elysia nvelope
Dynamics Processors (HW)
API Audio 2500
SOC-1.1
Buzz Audio SOC-1.1
DBX 1066
1968 ME
Drawmer 1968 ME
Distressor EL8-X
Empirical Labs Distressor EL8-X x 2
UBK Fatso
Kush Audio UBK Fatso
WA76
Warm Audio WA76 x 2
Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
CE-2 Chorus Pedal
Boss CE-2 Chorus Pedal
SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal
BigSky
Strymon BigSky
TimeLine
Strymon TimeLine
Equalisers (HW)
HM2EQ Hammer
A-Designs Audio HM2EQ Hammer
Electra
Kush Audio Electra
EQP-WA
Warm Audio EQP-WA x 2
Equalizer Plugins
Silk EQ
Acustica Audio Silk EQ
Keyboard Controllers
SynthStation 49
Akai Professional SynthStation 49
Remote 61 SL MkII
Novation Remote 61 SL MkII
Keyboard Synthesizers
Virus KC
Access Music Virus KC
Virus TI2 Keyboard
Access Music Virus TI2 Keyboard
CZ-1000
Casio CZ-1000
Nord Modular
Clavia Nord Modular
Nord Wave
Clavia Nord Wave
Mono Evolver Keyboard
Dave Smith Instruments Mono Evolver Keyboard
OB-6
Dave Smith Instruments OB-6
Pro 2
Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2
Prophet 12
Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12
Sequential Prophet-6
Dave Smith Instruments Sequential Prophet-6
Arp Odyssey
Korg Arp Odyssey
MicroKorg XL
Korg MicroKorg XL
MS2000B
Korg MS2000B
Radias
Korg Radias
Little Phatty Tribute
Moog Little Phatty Tribute
Minimoog Voyager - Electric Blue
Moog Minimoog Voyager - Electric Blue
Bass Station II
Novation Bass Station II
JD-800
Roland JD-800
JUNO-6
Roland JUNO-6
Jupiter-8
Roland Jupiter-8
JX-8P
Roland JX-8P
SH-1
Roland SH-1
SH-101
Roland SH-101
SH-2
Roland SH-2
Blofeld Keyboard - White
Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard - White
Q Halloween
Waldorf Q Halloween
EX5
Yamaha EX5
Reface DX
Yamaha Reface DX
Monitor Controllers
XR622 XLogic X-Rack Master Bus Module
Solid State Logic XR622 XLogic X-Rack Master Bus Module
Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
M3000
TC Electronic M3000
Plugin Bundles
Abbey Road Collection
Waves Audio Abbey Road Collection
Gold Bundle
Waves Audio Gold Bundle
Rackmount Synthesizers
TR Rack
Korg TR Rack
Wavestation A/D
Korg Wavestation A/D
002R
Modal Electronics 002R
Fantom-XR
Roland Fantom-XR
JD-990
Roland JD-990
MKS-70 Super JX
Roland MKS-70 Super JX
V-synth XT
Roland V-synth XT
XV-5080
Roland XV-5080
TG-77
Yamaha TG-77
Reverb & Delay Plugins
Spaces
EastWest/Quantum Leap Spaces
PCM Native Reverb Bundle
Lexicon PCM Native Reverb Bundle
Seventh Heaven Professional
LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional
Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Eclipse V4
Eventide Eclipse V4
Single-Channel Preamps
vmp-4000e
Sebatron vmp-4000e
LA-610 MkII
Universal Audio LA-610 MkII
Studio Headphones
AKG Q701
Studio Monitors
P33A
ADAM Audio P33A x 2
SM 100Ak
Sonodyne SM 100Ak x 2
Virtual Instrument Plugins
V Collection 7
Arturia V Collection 7
Cinematic Strings 2
Cinematic Strings Cinematic Strings 2
Goliath
EastWest/Quantum Leap Goliath
Pianos Gold
EastWest/Quantum Leap Pianos Gold
RA
EastWest/Quantum Leap RA
Silk
EastWest/Quantum Leap Silk
AEON Collection
Heavyocity AEON Collection
Komplete 10 Ultimate
Native Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate
A.I.R. Expanded
Sample Logic A.I.R. Expanded
Arpology
Sample Logic Arpology
Cinematic Guitars
Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars
CINEMORPHX
Sample Logic CINEMORPHX
Gamelan
Sample Logic Gamelan
Impakt
Sample Logic Impakt
Morphestra 2
Sample Logic Morphestra 2
Synergy X
Sample Logic Synergy X
Omnisphere 2
Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2
Stylus RMX Xpanded
Spectrasonics Stylus RMX Xpanded
Trilian
Spectrasonics Trilian
ACE
U-He ACE
Dark Zebra
U-He Dark Zebra
Zebra
U-He Zebra
Largo Synthesizer
Waldorf Largo Synthesizer

Last edited by TRSC; 18th May 2019 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: funny
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head
Okay, let's stop bickering about personal differences, please. It's sad to look at and it doesn't add anything to anyone reading this thread.

On another note, what do you suggest as a "gateway drug sampler"? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to samplers. I own VSS-30, which is a lot of fun and stupid easy to work with, so what do you think could be the next logical step-up?
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

I have owned a boatload of samplers over the years, but sold off almost everything. I kept a couple of EMU racks but they hardly get turned on now. I used Chicken System Translator to convert everything and now use Kontakt.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head
I am just try to seek E-MU E4 XT ULTRA. So yes I need it. Now selling my Akai MPC Live. I really learned it, but. I tried also to like Native because the huge library etc but sterile and 2-dimensional for me.
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Just to throw a probably controversial view into the mix, I just work off an MPD, the editing is far easier and quicker in a daw and all I really want from a sampler is the feel from being able to trigger samples from a soft pad
Old 18th May 2019
Here for the gear

Not saying I don't love cool old gear though... Just skint. ha.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Head
For the sound yes
For editing/workflow might be not

Though I wouldnt underestimate the effect of hardware on creativity. Its def better to play with than a DAW. Some of the old samplers like MPC60, AKAI950 or SP1200 have a fabolous sound of their own
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i figured you were being sarchastic straight away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search