The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why are those AUX jacks so horrible?! Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Why are those AUX jacks so horrible?!

whether it is the male or female jack they always break! Literally always!

I a 3.5 mm on my pc and plugging my headphones in it doesnt work anymore...

Today I got the adapter to conver it to 6.2 mm to plug it into my Steinberg UR12 and that ones is broken as well.. When moved wiggles and makes weird noise.

Very irritating.

Then I took other headphones tried them on both plugged in, same problem...

I don't know what to do...

Then I took my phone and i tried the same headphones on the phone they work okay.

I tried the first headphones on the phone, they don't work.

Now I've come to conclusion out of all those pieces only one headphones and my smartphone aren't damaged.

Now what the hell?!?!? I have used USBs, HDMIs all kinds of cables and jacks but these keep breaking... and this is not a current situation, this is something that has been so since I can remeber....

SO what the hell?! Am I just getting some cheap equipment because my motherboard was the most expensive one I could get for the 8700K cpus series. Got it brand new... First headphones that got broken were 200 EURO!

The hell?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mini jacks!!!!!! It's evil incarnate. I think they had a law in the middle ages that every man that even mentioned the word was to die on the stake, instantly. I came up with a great idea to show these gits: I will solder an adapter mini jack to three-phase electric power. The next time somebody asks and hands me a mini jack cable, I don my heavy rubber gloves, hand them the input and watch them fry, frizzle and smoke. That's also good for people who want me to connect their iphone or other decadent gadgets to heavy machinery. People! You don't HAVE to die, just bring an adapter or (better) one of those line-iso boxes that convert from and to jack, RCA, XLR and so on and so on.
Anybody that complains about the fact that mini jacks are going intermittent is like a diver that's complaining he got wet. That's what they do. There's even a cure - it just takes a sledgehammer and a few blows.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Mini jacks!!!!!! It's evil incarnate. I think they had a law in the middle ages that every man that even mentioned the word was to die on the stake, instantly. I came up with a great idea to show these gits: I will solder an adapter mini jack to three-phase electric power. The next time somebody asks and hands me a mini jack cable, I don my heavy rubber gloves, hand them the input and watch them fry, frizzle and smoke. That's also good for people who want me to connect their iphone or other decadent gadgets to heavy machinery. People! You don't HAVE to die, just bring an adapter or (better) one of those line-iso boxes that convert from and to jack, RCA, XLR and so on and so on.
Anybody that complains about the fact that mini jacks are going intermittent is like a diver that's complaining he got wet. That's what they do. There's even a cure - it just takes a sledgehammer and a few blows.
the jack on my steinberg ur12 is 6.2mm is that also mini jack? why did it break?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frans View Post
Preach brother!! :
Old 1 week ago
A few things off the top of my head about plugs and jacks:

They're mechanical and precision machining is expensive. Slop has always been a factor in cheap connectors and some not-so-cheap.

Precision-related intermittency or noise-on-stress is particularly an issue with adapters, because they have to 'negotiate' with two different pieces of hardware -- twice as much to go wrong.

ADD to that the problems that often arise from less-than-delicate handling when i/o jacks are mounted directly on mother/circuit boards and then fitted through holes in the outer case for access to/from plugs. Drop such a device with plugs in the jacks and there's a chance impact on the plug(s) can crack the motherboard, often leaving the jack 'hanging' from the board by an unbroken strip of copper from the printed circuit on the board.

When dealing with jack/plug/cable issues I always try multiple cables or adapters -- and try to remain aware of the 'hanging by a strip of copper' (or broken altogether) jack issue all the time, especially when handling small, easily droppable gear.

[I became particularly aware of this issue in the early 90s when a coffee house pal kept breaking the headphone jacks on his laptop(s). Something about the way he and his roomie had the thing rigged to the stereo caused them to trip over the cable (or something) and pull the laptop off its resting place -- or simply break the mobo by torquing the cable 'sideways' hard, the computer not even falling. That's why, he said, he always bought the on-site service plan. And he gave them a work-out.]

Last edited by theblue1; 1 week ago at 05:37 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWalk View Post
the jack on my steinberg ur12 is 6.2mm is that also mini jack? why did it break?
That's considered a 1/4' in phone jack in the states so it's not a mini jack. But more often than not to save money these things are cheap jacks surface mounted on the circuit board so one good yank in the wrong direction and they get futzy. They also wear out quickly in general. Also I find cable and jack tolerances these days to be all over the place compared to 20+ years ago. I've bought a brand new cable that won't make good contact, switch to an old one which works fine and even vice versa sometimes. Less expensive mass produced things are made with cheaper components with sloppier tolerances.

Mini jacks are the bane of my existence at times.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search