The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A good microphone for picking up small sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

A good microphone for picking up small sounds.

Hi, I'm new to this kind of stuff so i don't know a lot about mics and your help is greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a microphone for a project which would involve picking small sounds from a table on which sound some mechanical machine would be working (like gears and some moving objects which usually produce very little sound). If i increase sensitivity mics pick up a lot of noise which i don't want. So what would be a good mic under $250 for this purpose. Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It is not easy to give a simple answer to your question. The noise you are hearing might come from the mic you are using but it is just as likely to be coming from the other electronics that are amplifying the signal. If you want a quick fix for your problem without having to learn a lot about audio and you don’t anticipate having more complex needs in the future, you might find a high quality usb mic is a good fit for you. I can’t make any specific recommendations as I’ve never used one but it seems like an all in one solution that is well suited to people who want decent sound without a learning curve.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

These mics are great and you're in luck as they are available for pre-order-
https://store.lom.audio/collections/...oducts/usi-pro
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
There is Lewit mic (LCT 540s) that has close to zero self noise. Think some of their other mics are the same but not sure, but definitely low noise. Plenty of mics under 7dB of self noise these days, even the inexpensive 3U Audio CM1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Shotgun mic..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Plenty of mics under 7dB of self noise these days, even the inexpensive 3U Audio CM1.
A 3U Audio CM100 would be well less than $250. They're around $170-$200 I think? You'd get a professional, quiet, sensitive SDC for the price. Would be great for this situation and within the OP's budget.

We have two 127's (basically the same thing but with transformers), for $250 each and I absolutely love them. Excellent value.

Email the owner and ask for a price on CM100-C, the Cardioid SDC Mic: [email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search