The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Dynamic Mic for 737
Old 14th May 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Best Dynamic Mic for 737

Hello everyone
I'm looking for the right dynamic mic to pair with a 737 preamp.
Does anyone here know a great dynamic mic to pair with a 737 which can keep the signal quiet, noiseless, with a good ambient rejection also miking 20-50 cm from the source? Applications: acoustic instruments and voice.
Often voice and acoustic guitar with two pres and two mics:
M101/Md441
737/a good and appropriate dynamic mic
Let me know
Thank you
Old 14th May 2019
  #2
Gear Addict
 

In high gain mode you are looking at 58dB.

Just something to think about.
Old 14th May 2019
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Looking for a mic to go with your preamp? Then what, looking for a singer to go with your mic?

Seems a bit backwards to me.

But hey, I'll starve myself to fit into my old pants before I'll buy new pants that fit. So what do I know?
Old 14th May 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
Just get an SM7 and call it a day.
Old 14th May 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Thank you all
I used to pair my 737 with condenser mics in the past.
But recently i love to use Md441 with M101.
I'd like to try other dynamic microphones paired with the Avalon which can allow, possibly, quiet and noiseless tracking not only in close miking.
So i'm asking here if someone had any advice about it.
Old 15th May 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

You already have my fave dynamic, the 441.
A Beyer M88, would be a good addition.
Chris
Old 15th May 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
In general, I would consider that preamp bright, so a dark mic is the way to go
Old 15th May 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

AEA N22 is an interesting option too..
Chris
Old 15th May 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

The concept of 'pairing' mics and preamps is one of those ideas that seems to have been invented entirely by GS posters with too much time on their hands. If the 737 is a good preamp then it should work just fine with any dynamic mic. My favourite moving-coil dynamic is the old AKG D224E but a good D19 is also a thing of beauty.
Old 15th May 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
 
pongmaster's Avatar
 

well, yes my fave dyn. is also the the 441, especially in noisy environments.

but you mentioned you want big rejection and you use the m101, which is btw OMNI, so better rethink what you want to use in which envirnments.

that said, the m101 is also a super-fave mic of mine, its a little secret, not many know them, those that do, love'em!
Old 15th May 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Hello
M101 i mean Grace preamp
I love Md441, with 737 in very close miking.
And i love 737, beautiful thing.
You suggest Sm7b, M88, D224E, D19, N22.
Can i use these mics and 737 to record two feet far from an acoustic guitar and keep the signal quiet enough?
I track mainly voice and "unplugged" instruments.
Are these mics good and versatile for these sources?

Aea N22 seems to have low impedance but it is figure of eight and active.
I don't know if it could be suitable for focusing on the source and rejecting the ambient.

I was reading that M88 is hypercardioid and very sensitive to be a dynamic.
Could be a good option.

About Akgs 224 and d19 they are rare to find and anyway i prefer to consider new mics

I see Sm7b and 737 together more for close miking. But i have never had the Shure, i don't know.
Old 15th May 2019
  #12
This thread essentially invites GS to name their favorite dynamic because any dynamic you run through a 737 is going to sound about as good as that particular dynamic mic can sound. I don't really have a favorite dynamic. I bought my 737 to pair with a U87, primarily for vocal work and acoustic guitar. However, I have gotten some pleasant results applying a Telefunken M80 with a 737 to acoustic guitar. It shines in particular when you're tracking multiple musicians on acoustic instruments (not as a room mic). The off-axis rejection is tops, although you have to pay closer attention to finding the sweet spot than you do with, say, a 57. But the M80/737 is a very cool duo. As a combo, it will also handle electric guitar cabs as well as any similar pairing I can think of. My usual vocal mic onstage is the M80 (gold), but it's proven itself to be a versatile and handy mic in the studio. I frequently use it on snare instead of the venerable 57 — but now that I think about it, I have never routed my snare mics through the 737, so I can't say how that'll go. Today's the day! The 737 doesn't often get rave reviews for its usefulness as a channel strip for tracking drums. But I love my 737 and I use it on everything.

Guitars, vocals, drums: the M80 is a nice dynamic for the money and if you run it through a 737, yep.
Old 15th May 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
thismercifulfate's Avatar
Talk about putting the cart before the horse

How about selecting the right mic for your source?
Old 15th May 2019
  #14
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
However, I have gotten some pleasant results applying a Telefunken M80 with a 737 to acoustic guitar.
Hi 9xSound
Thank you for sharing your experience
What about noise? Do you track acoustic guitar in close miking or you can place M80 a little more distant, let's say two feet, and keep the signal quiet?
Old 15th May 2019
  #15
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Talk about putting the cart before the horse

How about selecting the right mic for your source?

Hi thismercifulfate
My sources are trumpet, voice, acoustic guitar, snare/brushes, acoustic bass (and electric guitar through a direct input).
I just like to play and make music as an amateur, nothing professional.
So my setup is quite simple and predictable. I don't need several mics and i don't want them.
I like a versatile, minimalist but good quality setup with good quality tools.
So two preamps of which a channel strip, two microphones, stereo ADDA conversion and a daw are enough for my purpose.
And my studio is not acoustically perfect. So i need microphones that fit well with it. I have had many condenser through the years but i have found the best results, in my own context, using dynamics mics. I wanted to keep the 737 when i changed my setup. Because it is perhaps the best pre i have had, very focused, natural and in face. And also classy clean with a slow and smooth compressor and a sweet eq, especially on the high frequencies. Very good on voice and acoustic instruments imo, for folk and jazz music. Paired with the Md441 (and a 58 or a Md7400 sometimes) i can get very good tracks of trumpet, snare and acoustic bass even at a certain distance while for voice alone and acoustic guitar alone i tend to use Grace-Md441 or Grace-737 line in-Md441. But when i want to track acoustic guitar and voice together stereo or dual mono, almost always, lately, i need of two indipendent pres and mics: for now Grace-Md441 and 737-Sm58/Md7400(close miking).
My question is about a mic, dynamic mic, for the second channel to pair with the 737 which allow to record at a certain distance, half a meter, and keep quiet the signal at the same time. Cloud filter etc could be an option, i don't know. But the right dynamic mic, if there is, would have my preference.
Old 16th May 2019
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyuit View Post
I don't need several mics and i don't want them.
This, I'm afraid, is just crazy talk. Come to your senses, my man! It is not possible for Gearslutz to have all the mics that they need or want.
Old 16th May 2019
  #17
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

In fact i said i want just two very good mics suitable for my context
Old 16th May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
This, I'm afraid, is just crazy talk. Come to your senses, my man! It is not possible for Gearslutz to have all the mics that they need or want.
LOL! Chris
Old 18th May 2019
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyuit View Post
Hi thismercifulfate
My sources are trumpet, voice, acoustic guitar, snare/brushes, acoustic bass (and electric guitar through a direct input).
I just like to play and make music as an amateur, nothing professional.
So my setup is quite simple and predictable. I don't need several mics and i don't want them.
I like a versatile, minimalist but good quality setup with good quality tools.
So two preamps of which a channel strip, two microphones, stereo ADDA conversion and a daw are enough for my purpose.
And my studio is not acoustically perfect. So i need microphones that fit well with it. I have had many condenser through the years but i have found the best results, in my own context, using dynamics mics. I wanted to keep the 737 when i changed my setup. Because it is perhaps the best pre i have had, very focused, natural and in face. And also classy clean with a slow and smooth compressor and a sweet eq, especially on the high frequencies. Very good on voice and acoustic instruments imo, for folk and jazz music. Paired with the Md441 (and a 58 or a Md7400 sometimes) i can get very good tracks of trumpet, snare and acoustic bass even at a certain distance while for voice alone and acoustic guitar alone i tend to use Grace-Md441 or Grace-737 line in-Md441. But when i want to track acoustic guitar and voice together stereo or dual mono, almost always, lately, i need of two indipendent pres and mics: for now Grace-Md441 and 737-Sm58/Md7400(close miking).
My question is about a mic, dynamic mic, for the second channel to pair with the 737 which allow to record at a certain distance, half a meter, and keep quiet the signal at the same time. Cloud filter etc could be an option, i don't know. But the right dynamic mic, if there is, would have my preference.
Hi Loyuit. If you're running a Sennheiser MD 441U into a Grace Design preamp on the one hand, and you want a great second mic to run through your 737, why don't you try a ribbon? You can get some nice results with an R84 or an R-121 through the 737 without undue noise as long as your source material isn't whispery quiet. Yes, you have to turn the gain and output knobs over a bit more with a ribbon, but if you're playing trumpet or singing like a singer who means it, the Avalon can handle it. It won't reveal enough noise floor to make any difference in your recordings. (If you needed to whisper into the mic, maybe you'd want to use your 441 for that.) Otherwise, Thismercifulfate is right: you should be matching microphones to the sound source. I wouldn't necessarily put the same mic on a trumpet that I would use for an acoustic guitar or stand-up bass, for instance, regardless of the preamp. If I were recording trumpet, from my mic closet, I'd probably go with an M80 if I had to use a dynamic. At least to start. I've never recorded a trumpet player before, so I'd have to see which mic gave me the best results. But as far as signal noise goes vs. a trumpet player? My money is on the trumpet.
Old 18th May 2019
  #20
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Hi Loyuit. If you're running a Sennheiser MD 441U into a Grace Design preamp on the one hand, and you want a great second mic to run through your 737, why don't you try a ribbon? You can get some nice results with an R84 or an R-121 through the 737 without undue noise as long as your source material isn't whispery quiet. Yes, you have to turn the gain and output knobs over a bit more with a ribbon, but if you're playing trumpet or singing like a singer who means it, the Avalon can handle it. It won't reveal enough noise floor to make any difference in your recordings. (If you needed to whisper into the mic, maybe you'd want to use your 441 for that.) Otherwise, Thismercifulfate is right: you should be matching microphones to the sound source. I wouldn't necessarily put the same mic on a trumpet that I would use for an acoustic guitar or stand-up bass, for instance, regardless of the preamp. If I were recording trumpet, from my mic closet, I'd probably go with an M80 if I had to use a dynamic. At least to start. I've never recorded a trumpet player before, so I'd have to see which mic gave me the best results. But as far as signal noise goes vs. a trumpet player? My money is on the trumpet.
Hi 9xSound
Thanks again for your advices
I'm considering a Beyer M160
I'd prefer an hyper or super cardioid than an 8 pattern
Royer and Aea mics are however beautiful
I understand that i should match mics and sources to get best results. The same for pres and mics. But many variables, many microphones and preamps. That's not possible for me. Just a very good mic to pair with the Avalon when i track voice and acoustic guitar at the same time (songwriter style). So the mic should record the voice. 737-mic on voice. M101-Md441 on guitar. If i had the possibility to distance a little bit the mic from the source also in "quiet whispering" mode would be great and i could explore more ways of tracking. If not i will stay close to the mic. In this case i could even buy another 441.
In all the other situations, trumpet, bass, snare, i track mono by Md441 - M101 - 737 and i'm very satisfied.
A versatile channel
Almost always i track mono one at a time acoustic guitar and voice too
Bye
Old 14th July 2019
  #21
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Hi
After all this time i have not still bought the dynamic mic.
I'm using an old and low cost dynamic 58-like with 737 and Md441 with Grace M101 on acoustic guitar and voice (stereo tracking).
Md441 and M101 for all the rest (mono tracking). And i'm quite satisfied.
Now i'm looking for a condenser to pair with 737. For mid distance tracking i convinced myself that a condenser paired with the Avalon could be the right choice.
Applications: meanly for stereo tracking together with the _101-441_ channel, acoustic guitar and voice, about 30 centimeters from the source.
Secondly the channel _Condenser Mic-737_ should be a very good alternative to _M101-Md441_ channel for mono tracking of Voice, Acoustic Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Trumpet (muted), Snare-Ride-HiHat with Brushes.
So i just ask: can you give me some advice about a beautiful condenser for this context? I already have had a Tlm 103 in the past but with other preamps.
Also i have had other condenser microphones but 103 is my first choice on budget for now.
I read that the 103 pairs well with 737. I've read similar threads here on GS, but i'd like fresh opinions more focused on my set up.
Budget around a 1000-1200 euros and LDC.
Let me know
Bye
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Why are you still so stuck on this idea that the mic needs to be 'paired with' the preamp? That's just nonsense. Buy the right mic for the source and rejoice in the fact that you have a good preamp that will do justice to any good mic.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Hi Peller
The "right mic for the source" could be a good start
The sources are mainly voice and acoustic guitar
Do you have any experience about the right mics for these sources?
I can't try the microphone so i'm asking for advice so i don't buy randomly. For now Tlm 103 and M930 could be my options.
But other advices are welcome
Bye
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

It depends on the voice, the guitar, the room, the style of music and the sound you're after.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the TLM-103, it has a tendency to sound thin and harsh and sibilant, but then if your guitar or voice is very dark that might suit it perfectly. For the same money I would rather have one of the new Austrian Audio mics for example, or an older C414.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Here for the gear
 
loyuit's Avatar
 

Hi Peller
Thanks
I take a look to Austrian Audio, i didn't know this brand.
Also old 414 could be a option. Xls or Uls?
In fact i'm looking for smooth and slow transients sound.
M930 Gefell or Re20 are in the list of possibilities too
Old 4 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Whatever 'slow transients' are, I doubt you'll get them from a condenser mic of any sort.

I don't think anyone ever regretted buying an RE20.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump