The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
narrowed down to 3 monitors. pro's n cons of each ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

narrowed down to 3 monitors. pro's n cons of each ?

I decided to sell my midfields and free up some cash .They're overkill for what I need them for now as I use them nearfield. Hopefully got a buyer for next weekend so it's time to start looking at what's available.

Looking around and I've found 3 pairs of monitors which I can get for roughly the same price new/ex demo. £1200-1500ish a pair.

JBL LSR6328p

I have the smaller LSR6325p and love the sound out of them within the limits of their bass response. Hopefully they share the same type of sound?

APS Aeon MK1

Read conflicting reviews. They go down lower than my midfields! and I can get them in bright red.

Avantone Abbey

Read some good reviews. Looks are "interesting" with their side firing bass.

Looking for something with low fatigue - no harsh or zingy highs. Nice bass as I do electronic dance stuff. And something which will make my purchased music collection sound great too as they will double as my hifi speakers. Will be placed very close to the front wall in a 3x4m room. Don't want digital conversion as I need very low latency for playing VSTs.

opinions please as I have nowhere local to demo so will have to use postage return policies which may cost me a fair bit.

Last edited by MarcB; 1 week ago at 09:34 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

... and it seems that nobody has listened to monitors which have been available for years.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So what's your excuse? You haven't listened to them either, apparently.

Maybe others just don't want to answer questions that have been answered a million times already.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poinzy View Post
What's your excuse? You haven't listened to them either, apparently.
My excuse is they're older monitors and, since I'm buying used or ex demo from stores across Europe, local stores don't stock them so I can't demo them and have to go by word of mouth.

Quote:

Maybe others just don't want to answer questions that have been answered a million times already.

I guess I'm lucky to have you here to put me straight then.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
... I can't demo them and have to go by word of mouth.
You can't by speakers on WOM. You can only buy speakers by auditioning them in your own space.

I understand your predicament, but if people tell you to buy the APS Aeon MK1s, how would you know if those are better for you than the other two pair? It's very possible that 10 people tell you to buy them, but in reality, the JBLs are better for you.

You HAVE to audition monitors in your own space. If you can not, then it's a total crap shoot, regardless of who says what.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
You can't by speakers on WOM. You can only buy speakers by auditioning them in your own space.
I will be hearing them in my own place. But I will have to pay return postage back to Europe if I don't like them. Which is why I'm asking for peoples opinions on them first to make sure their descriptions fit with things I may like.

My local shop sells Genelec, Mackie ,Yamahas and some really budget stuff. I'd rather buy last seasons top range rather than todays midrange.

Quote:
I understand your predicament, but if people tell you to buy the APS Aeon MK1s, how would you know if those are better for you than the other two pair? It's very possible that 10 people tell you to buy them, but in reality, the JBLs are better for you.
I won't. But if I like the Aeons when they arrive then it won't matter if the JBLs are better as I'll still like the Aeons and keep them. I'm looking for specific qualities in a speaker. I will happily keep the first speaker that ticks those boxes.

Without being funny, this is a music equipment discussion forum. If someone posted requesting info on monitors I'd used in the past and what I would rate them compared to others I'd heard I'd just post the relevant information and hope that what I posted was useful. So how about if you've heard the monitors then post what you think of them and if you haven't then this thread isn't for you

Last edited by MarcB; 1 week ago at 06:53 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
Without being funny, this is a music equipment discussion forum. If someone posted requesting info on monitors I'd used in the past and what I would rate them compared to others I'd heard I'd just post the relevant information and hope that what I posted was useful. So how about if you've heard the monitors then post what you think of them and if you haven't then stop trying to play advocate on how I should go about my purchasing decisions.
You aren't very nice, are you?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
You aren't very nice, are you?
I'd changed my reply before you replied as when I re-read it it came across as a bit abrasive. My point was that once again on GS the thread gets derailed into zero info replies rather than something which actually helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search