The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild Compressor Comparison Thread (Hardware only)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

“On the power supply side : Let's remember that the original 240V high voltage PSU is totally regulated and fixed, so again, there is no need to use 4 valves to produce a perfectly regulated 240V powers supply, it can be done easily with a few reliable discrete components that will performed well virtually forever and with less noise...”
This is not quite true.....build 2 x RCA-style preamps (ala Coil) with SS vs tube power stage (very simple circuits)....the same with a REDD47s or a U47 power supply...they just do not sound the same as SS. Which you prefer is up to you of course but these clones are skimping on original authenticity! I realise rec valves can poo their pants but they do add mojo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
That's the common misconception. When I first heard POM's I thought it was a bit pristine but it's the subtlety that adds up. I have at least 6 pieces on my stereo buss, at least 2 of them tube and they all carry the weight in small increments. The Fairchild does the most lifting as it has the sweetest box tone which increases with gain but it was a lot cleaner than the time machine I was expecting.
When I first put it on the Mastering thread they were horrified by how much I was leaning into it. I thought it was sounding transparent. Ha Ha.
ME’s scare easily!
Old 4 weeks ago
Regulated versus none regulated PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
“On the power supply side : Let's remember that the original 240V high voltage PSU is totally regulated and fixed, so again, there is no need to use 4 valves to produce a perfectly regulated 240V powers supply, it can be done easily with a few reliable discrete components that will performed well virtually forever and with less noise...”
This is not quite true.....build 2 x RCA-style preamps (ala Coil) with SS vs tube power stage (very simple circuits)....the same with a REDD47s or a U47 power supply...they just do not sound the same as SS. Which you prefer is up to you of course but these clones are skimping on original authenticity! I realise rec valves can poo their pants but they do add mojo.
Hi,

You shouldn't do what you are doing right now, and I am going to explain you why :
You do not seem to have done any of the home work, probably don't know much about electronic, come on a forum and start spreading doubt on subjects that are well established. People come here and fight it with the unknown, it's a tragedy !...

A Fairchild is not a guitar amp, current starvation or over-voltage is not the reason why they sound great or bad, even Eddie Van Halen probably knows that.

Nobody seem to know how Vari-Mu works on this forum, and yet everyone talks for pages after pages… It is frightening !
The key success to a good quality Variable-Mu is to always have a perfectly regulated PSU on the high voltage on the plates, and that is the case for :
The UREi 175 &176, the DISA 91N02, the EAR 660, Gates Level Devil, C-19530, STA Level, Manley Vari-Mu… etc...
Using 3 tubes for a regulation circuit is not necessary these days, a solid-state device is just as good and even quieter on the noise side, that's my point.

If the Fairchild had an unregulated PSU like the ALTEC does, believe me, I would have kept it that way and would have also used a Tube for the rectification, no questions asked, it would have an influence on the sound.

What you are experiencing with your Preamp and power stage is the same as the guitar amp problem : They sound sh*t with the solid state rectifiers and without the resistive inductors on the power line, but this has nothing to do with the Variable-Mu concept and doesn't apply to the FAIRCHILD regulation principle.

I have done experiments with and without solid state regulated PSU on the 240V[/U] rail at State of the Ark Studio in the past when the power supply went down and it made no audio difference.

I hope this helps solving some of the mystery. The best way to experiment with sound is to try different tubes, they can change the sound massively.

Best Regards,

POM
http://www.pomaudiodesign.com
http://www.fairchild-recording-equipment.com
http://www.pompye.com
http://www.boilermk2.com
https://twitter.com/POMAUDIODESIGN
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by POM AUDIO DESIGN View Post
Hi,

You shouldn't do what you are doing right now, and I am going to explain you why :
You do not seem to have done any of the home work, probably don't know much about electronic, come on a forum and start spreading doubt on subjects that are well established. People come here and fight it with the unknown, it's a tragedy !...

A Fairchild is not a guitar amp, current starvation or over-voltage is not the reason why they sound great or bad, even Eddie Van Halen probably knows that.

Nobody seem to know how Vari-Mu works on this forum, and yet everyone talks for pages after pages… It is frightening !
The key success to a good quality Variable-Mu is to always have a perfectly regulated PSU on the high voltage on the plates, and that is the case for :
The UREi 175 &176, the DISA 91N02, the EAR 660, Gates Level Devil, C-19530, STA Level, Manley Vari-Mu… etc...
Using 3 tubes for a regulation circuit is not necessary these days, a solid-state device is just as good and even quieter on the noise side, that's my point.

If the Fairchild had an unregulated PSU like the ALTEC does, believe me, I would have kept it that way and would have also used a Tube for the rectification, no questions asked, it would have an influence on the sound.

What you are experiencing with your Preamp and power stage is the same as the guitar amp problem : They sound sh*t with the solid state rectifiers and without the resistive inductors on the power line, but this has nothing to do with the Variable-Mu concept and doesn't apply to the FAIRCHILD regulation principle.

I have done experiments with and without solid state regulated PSU on the 240V[/U] rail at State of the Ark Studio in the past when the power supply went down and it made no audio difference.

I hope this helps solving some of the mystery. The best way to experiment with sound is to try different tubes, they can change the sound massively.

Best Regards,

POM
http://www.pomaudiodesign.com
http://www.fairchild-recording-equipment.com
http://www.pompye.com
http://www.boilermk2.com
https://twitter.com/POMAUDIODESIGN
Thank you for your integrity and dedication. I aspire to own your gear and we need you here on this forum if you can stand it! Too many real pros chased away by casual punters of which I sadly am one...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I would like to point out the POM website includes faceplate pics that are to drool for. Upon closer examination his don't look like an original. Hardly an exact clone as was referenced by someone earlier in this thread. The original is tall and shallow where POM's appears to be a huge deep box, and communication with POM he told me he doesn't do the LAT/VERT thing, at least not on his standard models. He said something about voltages running around the inside of his box.

Let me repeat that: His pics show various faceplates with LAT/VERT on them but his do not do LAT/VERT. He went on to tell me that would have to be a custom special order, super expensive, $10k option if he felt like doing it at all

WOAH!!!! WARNING SIGNS went up.

What else does't it do? And why do the faceplates show LAT/VERT????

I asked for clips, even a phone video of the thing in action and no response.

He seems like a super knowledgable guy and a really nice person. I got good vibes and would trust him. I assume he didn't have clips or video of his working models or presumably he would have sent them.

AT the price point with custom option to have LAT/VERT I'd rather go to something more established like Unfairchild.

Undertone Audio's Unfairchild seems pretty good for a clone that has been modernized to work with today's gear. It has a nice manual, nice videos on their website, they are in the US for future servicing, have a nice client list and the clips sound pretty good to my ears. If you take the time to get to know it from their manual you know exactly what you are getting and how to use it, calibrate it, etc...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronluigi View Post
I would like to point out the POM website includes faceplate pics that are to drool for. Upon closer examination his don't look like an original. Hardly an exact clone as was referenced by someone earlier in this thread. The original is tall and shallow where POM's appears to be a huge deep box, and communication with POM he told me he doesn't do the LAT/VERT thing, at least not on his standard models. He said something about voltages running around the inside of his box.

Let me repeat that: His pics show various faceplates with LAT/VERT on them but his do not do LAT/VERT. He went on to tell me that would have to be a custom special order, super expensive, $10k option if he felt like doing it at all

He seems like a super knowledgable guy and a really nice person. I got good vibes and would trust him. I assume he didn't have clips or video of his working models or presumably he would have sent them.

AT the price point with custom option to have LAT/VERT I'd rather go to something more established like Unfairchild.

Undertone Audio's Unfairchild seems pretty good for a clone that has been modernized to work with today's gear. It has a nice manual, nice videos on their website, they are in the US for future servicing, have a nice client list and the clips sound pretty good to my ears. If you take the time to get to know it from their manual you know exactly what you are getting and how to use it, calibrate it, etc...
POM is super busy hand building these units solely by himself. He has little time for tyre kickers. His client list of serious buyers is global and includes many impressive clients. He doesn't bother doing the silly hard sell, he doesn't need to. You are correct, he is 100% trustworthy and leads a very quiet life.
If mass exposure floats your boat then the Unfairchild is heavily marketed. Go for it. Especially if you are in the U.S.
I can't say POM has left me without instructions or a sense of security.

P.S. can you use the word "nice" some more.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Since when did the silliness of using low quality video and audio files that were made by someone else become such an important part of checking out high quality audio gear...?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Seems weird to omit a key feature of the original. Especially since it ain’t difficult or expensive to implement- the Drip version I built uses a handful of relays and a few ancillary bits (diodes etc) to switch between L R operation and Lat/Vert or M/S
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

P.S. can you use the word "nice" some more.
not all of us here are native english speakers, we might not know as many english adjectives as you do. that was rude enough to call him a tyre kicker. how many languages do you speak, Paul?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can we turn this thread around and just keep the focus on the variations/options out there?

I’m receiving the Sowter transformers for the audio path tomorrow. I’ll have those in over the weekend but I don’t have the tubes yet, plus need to do a bunch of wiring too until it’s ready to fire up - I will post clips as soon as my unit is completed and calibrated properly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
not all of us here are native english speakers, we might not know as many english adjectives as you do. that was rude enough to call him a tyre kicker. how many languages do you speak, Paul?
Did I call him a Tyre Kicker directly?

Oooh was I rude?

"WOAH!!!! WARNING SIGNS went up....."

It was a backhanded load of BS and I don't care what you think.
My points were valid and true.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Did I call him a Tyre Kicker directly?
No you called him that indirectly. Doesn't make it any better.

Quote:
It was a backhanded load of BS and I don't care what you think.
My points were valid and true.
well you didn't even address his main point, though.
you have every right to think it's BS but you could have stated it without disrespecting him. (should be easy with all those words you must know... jk )

you could be right btw, I have nothing against POM. Just wish we could do without the condescension and the passive aggressiveness.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Can we turn this thread around and just keep the focus on the variations/options out there?

I’m receiving the Sowter transformers for the audio path tomorrow. I’ll have those in over the weekend but I don’t have the tubes yet, plus need to do a bunch of wiring too until it’s ready to fire up - I will post clips as soon as my unit is completed and calibrated properly.
Yes I'd be very interested in hearing your unit compared to the Unfairchild and POM's. Maybe the Mastering Forum Compressor threads:
Mastering Equalizer and Compressor Comparison - Part 2
would be a good way to compare directly.
I still have to run the new samples through the Fairchild II as the Unfairchild is up now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
No you called him that indirectly. Doesn't make it any better.

well you didn't even address his main point, though.
you have every right to think it's BS but you could have stated it without disrespecting him. (should be easy with all those words you must know... jk )

you could be right btw, I have nothing against POM. Just wish we could do without the condescension and the passive aggressiveness.
You're stepping in to fight other peoples; whatever they are? and you accuse me of condescension and passive aggression.

That's some complex you seem to have about the English Language.

I doubt POM will be back though now, he is French, speaks great English (without a complex) and has a great sense of humour. Not to mention his huge knowledge of classic pro audio equipment.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a POM Fairchild, it is of the highest quality and worksmanship. Totally overbuild like a tank. Not only does it sound great but its also dead silent both acustically and electrically, which is not the case with some other clones out there.
Personally Im not intested in an exact replica (the lat/vert thing), just an awesome tube compressor that I can trust for tears to come. I even had him make an attack time feature, which is also great with POM, custom tweaks if wanted.

Old 3 weeks ago
Just adding a reminder to add any and all Fairchild (hardware*) comparison files to this thread also, in addition to the Compressor thread.

*Fairchild Software to actual hardware (clone or orig) is welcome also.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Hi. Just repeating the request from last week - can you run this file (top left is the unprocessed version) though your AT101?

https://mega.nz/#F!InggRS4K!ztYVoN9G7H46yqF7TBYlOw

It's all talk until we hear samples :¬)

Already done:

Quote:
ADT Audio
Airfield Liminator
API 2500
Buzz DBC
Buzz Essence
Buzz SOC 1.1
Buzz SOC 2.0
Chandler Germanium
Compex
Crane Song STC8
Dangerous Compressor
Dave Hills Titans
Dramastic Obsidian
Dynax
Electronaut M97
Elysia Alpha
Elysia Expressor
Elysia Mpressor
Fairman TMC
Fairman TSC
FCS P3S ME
FCS P4S ME
Focusrite Red3
GML 8900
Greg Hanks Design BA-660
Gyraf G22
HCL Varis
HCL Varis Blueface
IGS Multicore
IGS Tubecore
Knif Pure Mu
Knif Vari Mu II
Kush Tweakers
Manley SLAM
Manley Vari Mu
Mercury 66
Neve MBP
Pendulum ES-8
Pomchild 670
QES Variable Gm
Requisite L2M MkII
Rockruepel CompOne
Rockruepel CompTwo
Shadow Hills Dual Vandagraph
Sknote Leso
SSL
Thermionic Culture Phoenix
Unfairchild MKII
Vacuvox
Vertigo VSC-2
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Would you want a drip fairchild processed?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen View Post
Would you want a drip fairchild processed?
Please, yes. Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tried to download the 'Comp Comparison' files from the mega.nz site ... tells me I have to install an App. Not interested.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Tried to download the 'Comp Comparison' files from the mega.nz site ... tells me I have to install an App. Not interested.
No it doesn't. It gives you the option to install the app or download directly. Takes 5 seconds to download it directly, it's a very quick/simple process.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
No it doesn't. It gives you the option to install the app or download directly. Takes 5 seconds to download it directly, it's a very quick/simple process.
OK ... I just had to download with a smaller selection at a time.

note: there are a few files with Zero bytes on the site.

Thanks for posting all of this ... now for the listening !

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
OK ... I just had to download with a smaller selection at a time.

note: there are a few files with Zero bytes on the site.

Thanks for posting all of this ... now for the listening !

B0se, I don't see the Unfairchild file
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
B0se, I don't see the Unfairchild file
It's posted in the thread itself (last page). I linked to it earlier.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It's posted in the thread itself (last page). I linked to it earlier.
Did a search and found it.

SOUNDS much different than the other files. Gain sounds much hotter and not very Fairchild-ish. It sounds great, but not like all of the other takes on the Fairchild at all.
Old 2 weeks ago
It's a shame the music files changed on the second time. It was also pointed out to me that unless you have the same converters (obviously) the test is void. Which made me wonder why everyone went to the trouble.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know because 'Fairchild' always==too rich for my blood, but I recently picked up a used Anamod 670 to fill my last remaining slot in the lunchbox, and honestly: it's a whole 'nother level.

I'm interested if you lot in the know think it sucks or if there are more (somewhat economical) multi-channel options out there. Apologies if this is already addressed in the preceding pages. Time to get new cheaters and better lighting here...
Old 2 weeks ago
I haven’t used or heard a UTA UF but they look to be extremely flexible units which may make it hard to draw accurate conclusions from file comparisons.

The m66, while it does have a flavour, offers quite a broad range of variation on that flavour, and the UTA looks like it has a few additional features to boot.

I’m sure they are different, and for these prices, hopefully amazeballs sounding. I would certainly place my m66 in amazeballs territory
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

SOoo much about POM. Spike Stent bought a POM Pye....

Well, I bought a POM Pye, I was not happy with it, sold it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My company Vacuvox manufactures the U23 vari-mu compressor limiter. It is build around the circuit of the Rohde & Schwarz U-23 broadcast limiter. The Rohde & Schwarz U23 is not a clone of the Fairchild compressor but it is actually its grand daddy.

In 1953 Rhode und Schwarz [from Munich] developed the U23 and it was commercially introduced in late 1954. Used as an overload protection device at radio stations, this unit was a technological achievement in studio equipment for the 1950s. This unit is very similar to a Fairchild 660 in both design and sound. And that is not a coincidence while Russian born Rein Narma, who immigrated to America after WWII, built the first prototype for Les Paul in 1959 using the U23 design. Sherman Fairchild licensed Narma’s compressor shortly after Les Paul’s custom build and named it the 660 and the stereo version 670.

Trypoul Studios bought two of our Vacuvox U23m mastering compressors. They already had an amazing collection of mostly vintage gear including an original Teletronix LA2A, EAR 660 and an original Fairchild 670. I demonstrated the U23s to some of their clients and we compared our units to the aforementioned units. This is what one of their clients [Studio Obsidian] wrote:

"So I got the chance today to play around with the Vacuvox U23M Mastering compressor. Although not many of you probably have heard of Vacuvox, mark my words when I say that this is a name that is going to change the game for good! It is a brand new, Dutch build vari-mu compressor based on German tube technology from the ‘50s. It took almost 5 years to build this badboy. It’s made to compete with the legendary Fairchild 670, and that said, we thought it would be a great idea to do a back-to-back test with these two compressors. Competing against a 50k studio legend seems like a race that can never be won... but the U23M is nothing like you have ever heard before. It’s subtle clarity, transparency and body are second to none. It really cleans up the low end, and gives so much depth to your tracks. We tried it on the mix and drumbus, on bass guitar and vocals (the build in de-esser works like magic) and it worked so so well everytime. It is hard to describe in words how friggin’ good the U23M sounds. Compared to the Fairchild 670, it had even more detail, more depth and the top end sounded a bit more open. Behold the new Rolls Royce of mastering compressors!" [https://www.facebook.com/musicstudio...ype=3&theater]

We also sold a pair of the U23 compressor limiters to Johann Scheerer of Clouds Hill Studios [https://www.soundonsound.com/music-b...tudio-hamburg].
Johann Scheerer wrote “Oh my god. This thing is INCREDIBLE!! Just preferred it to my Fairchild. The Vacuvox U23 is one of the best compressors I heard for tracking and mixing! What an amazing tool!!

Vacuvox uses custom designed and wound [audio] transformers painstakingly modelled after Malotki transformers - the pinnacle of German audio engineering.

You can find more info overhere: http://vacuvox.com/vacuvox-u23-tube-compressor-limiter/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search