The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild Compressor Comparison Thread (Hardware only)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I just trust my ears and judge reasonable value accordingly. Pom's compressor is a thing of beauty and he keeps it at a price people can afford rather than ripping people off another 10 grand, plus it sounds better than any compressor I have heard. The Mastering forum is full of overrated compressors. Pom's isn't one of them. He was in charge of the Original Fairchilds at State of the Ark for years.
I think he knows more than forum dwellers who's little amount of knowledge is dangerous.

Spike Stent just bought one of his POM PYE's.

Carry on.....
How much is a POM Fairchild Paul?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I just trust my ears and judge reasonable value accordingly. Pom's compressor is a thing of beauty and he keeps it at a price people can afford rather than ripping people off another 10 grand, plus it sounds better than any compressor I have heard. The Mastering forum is full of overrated compressors. Pom's isn't one of them. He was in charge of the Original Fairchilds at State of the Ark for years.
I think he knows more than forum dwellers who's little amount of knowledge is dangerous.

Spike Stent just bought one of his POM PYE's.

Carry on.....
Paul, do you have a POM PYE? Love it?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizards Machine View Post
Paul, do you have a POM PYE? Love it?
I heard one side by side with a vintage one and they were identical. Alas I don't have the rackspace. Especially since I added 8 channels of Coils.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
How much is a POM Fairchild Paul?
When I bought mine it was about 5k. Now depending on mods I think they're about 6-7. I think the Unfairchild is also priced well. I'm dying to hear one of those in my studio next to the POM.

Anything over 10 is for rich kids. 15+ is for .......
Old 4 weeks ago
  #65
i would agree with paul on the m66. i have 3 of them and an unfairchild. they both sound great, but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Where was the POM? As you cannot try them in a showroom. Did you buy one?

I Love my M66. I sold one to a friend who was desperate. The M66 inflates things and makes everything sound larger than life.

The Amtec 099 is great too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
When I bought mine it was about 5k. Now depending on mods I think they're about 6-7. I think the Unfairchild is also priced well. I'm dying to hear one of those in my studio next to the POM.

Anything over 10 is for rich kids. 15+ is for .......
Paul as always you are so arrogant.
We all know on this forum you are such a gentleman...
I often talk with Miles Showell that bought an AT101 recently for his Mastering Room at Abbey Road and I will say him: hey you spent more than 15k pounds for your AT101, you are.. What word have you thought, Paul?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Paul as always you are so arrogant.
We all know on this forum you are such a gentleman...
I often talk with Miles Showell that bought an AT101 recently for his Mastering Room at Abbey Road and I will say him: hey you spent more than 15k pounds for your AT101, you are.. What word have you thought, Paul?

Your opinions are truly important to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Your opinions are truly important to me.
I was hoping you were following psychiatric therapy for your mood disorder
Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
I was hoping you were following psychiatric therapy for your mood disorder
Sorry to disappoint you old chap. You must have got it all wrong.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Sorry to disappoint you old chap. You must have got it all wrong.
Yet I made you happy 4 years ago selling you 4 heritage audio 8173
Old 4 weeks ago
  #71
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Like Sowter?
Is POM using the only guy on the face of the planet that can make transformers suitable for ProAudio or use in a Fairchild?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Is POM using the only guy on the face of the planet that can make transformers suitable for ProAudio or use in a Fairchild?
He has two versions: Classic, that has 4 original (in and out) transformers.

and 'standard', that only has the in side (two originals) and has others made for the output. Supposedly very well made, high nickel count, etc.

The 'Classic' set-up on the Mark I and Mark II are both 1000 pounds more.
I have no idea who makes the transformers for the standard version.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Yet I made you happy 4 years ago selling you 4 heritage audio 8173
Who needs therapy?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Is POM using the only guy on the face of the planet that can make transformers suitable for ProAudio or use in a Fairchild?
Sowter are fine, I like them but they don't sound like originals. POM does seem to be the only guy with originals or the handmade authentic replicas. That makes a difference.
If it makes a difference in an 1176 then I imagine it makes a big difference in a Fairchild clone. Don't you think?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Who needs therapy?
Who don't make people happy. So not me.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Who don't make people happy. So not me.
Can we get back on subject please? You're not making any sense, at all.
You're getting all twisted.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #77
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Sowter are fine, I like them but they don't sound like originals. POM does seem to be the only guy with originals or the handmade authentic replicas. That makes a difference.
If it makes a difference in an 1176 then I imagine it makes a big difference in a Fairchild clone. Don't you think?
Absolutely, there is going to be a difference, but not everyone is going to agree on that ‘difference’.

You’ve heard the Sowter’s in a Fairchild?
Or just in the case of them being swapped into an 1176?

I do think changing the power supply to Solid state will have an impact to the sound...I’m no EE but from what I’ve seen/read there is a reason some rectifier tubes are revered so much
Old 4 weeks ago
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Cucaio75's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Can we get back on subject please? You're not making any sense, at all.
You're getting all twisted.
Ok, back in topic.
A vintage Fairchild has not good noise figures.
A well maintained is - 65db, and channels are almost different in distortion and sound. Sound change from day to day.
So I would like to know how can POM says that
"you can put a 1959 FAIRCHILD 670 next to the FAIRCHILD 670mkII and it will have no sonic difference.
And the magic is.. without 12 of the 20 valves of the original circuit, with a solid state power supply, all pcb and without 5 transformers in the circuit!!

Please explain.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #79
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
Absolutely, there is going to be a difference, but not everyone is going to agree on that ‘difference’.

You’ve heard the Sowter’s in a Fairchild?
Or just in the case of them being swapped into an 1176?

I do think changing the power supply to Solid state will have an impact to the sound...I’m no EE but from what I’ve seen/read there is a reason some rectifier tubes are revered so much
You're right everyone hears uniquely. I've only heard them in an 1176 we built a pair of and as well as the O12 I chose to risk the Sowter on a switch option as I was a Sowter fan from my old Calrecs, I also chose a Sowter output xformer. It was brighter and very different to POM's version with only the original ouncer and output transformer etc. I liked mine but it was different.

It's of POM's personal belief and I tend to believe him that in this function the extra tubes (obsolete old tech) do not affect the sound. He is so meticulous that if he felt they made a slight difference they'd be in there no doubt. He hand moulds the knobs and everything. Not like Cynthia Plastercaster.

I don't say all this to justify a purchase or to defend a friend. I believe these are amazing and I couldn't have had a Drip made for the price I paid. It was a "no brainer". The only problem with any of these is the JJ tubes. If only there was a way to replace those but they have the monopoly.

I also think most of the clones are genuinely overpriced but I guess that's their problem. They were priced compared to £50k originals.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Ok, back in topic.
A vintage Fairchild has not good noise figures.
A well maintained is - 65db, and channels are almost different in distortion and sound. Sound change from day to day.
So I would like to know how can POM says that
"you can put a 1959 FAIRCHILD 670 next to the FAIRCHILD 670mkII and it will have no sonic difference.
And the magic is.. without 12 of the 20 valves of the original circuit, with a solid state power supply, all pcb and without 5 transformers in the circuit!!

Please explain.
Why don't you ask him numb nuts?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Ok, back in topic.
A vintage Fairchild has not good noise figures.
A well maintained is - 65db, and channels are almost different in distortion and sound. Sound change from day to day.
So I would like to know how can POM says that
"you can put a 1959 FAIRCHILD 670 next to the FAIRCHILD 670mkII and it will have no sonic difference.
And the magic is.. without 12 of the 20 valves of the original circuit, with a solid state power supply, all pcb and without 5 transformers in the circuit!!

Please explain.
This old post from POM Fairchild 670...Reborn!!

Hi,

I have only been making 6 FAIRCHILD copies since 2011, my idea is to provide the same sound as the original by simply using the same audio path, nothing special :
You just need the original UTC input transformer followed by the four 6386 valves in parallel and the Triad output transformer, on each channel.
You can see a few pictures on my FAIRCHILD website here if you like :
Pictures and links

All I did is the same principle as the EAR 660: I use a Discrete Power Amp instead of a Valve one to generate the Control Voltage, which saves 8 valves.
My control Amp has the same topology as the original : Input and an Output transformer and behaves the same. The good thing about using a discrete Power Amp is that you can do whatever you like, you can have extremely low output impedance, less than an Ohm should you require it, a very large output swing if you need to slam the signal big time, and you can shape up the response to whatever you require easily, hence the new improvements on the mkII on the side chain...

On the power supply side : Let's remember that the original 240V high voltage PSU is totally regulated and fixed, so again, there is no need to use 4 valves to produce a perfectly regulated 240V powers supply, it can be done easily with a few reliable discrete components that will performed well virtually forever and with less noise...

So the total saving is 12 valves, making the grand total only 8 x 6386 instead of 20 valves!

All the people who bought my FAIRCHILD re-make over the past few years all got 50s and 60s transformers that I bought on the US second hand market, so the sound is as original as possible but with new valves.

Kore studio in LONDON is the first commercial place(not private owners in their rooms)where people will be able to hear the new mkII which has a pair of late 1950 UTC on the input, and a hand made Output transformer that I decided to try after having long conversations about bobbins, laminations, nickel alloys from the 50s with a retired transformer specialist who said that he could produce the same transformer for me without a problem... I hope I can get some more of him now before he dies! ahahah!

Other than Audio tests, the electronic tests I made had quite impressive results and showed the right phase response and characteristic. I am quite amazed and happy to use this hand made transformer when there is nothing on the US second hand market, and as long as my clients are perfectly aware of it, it's just fantastic, just come and hear it at Kore!

Thanks for reading, I hope this helped clarify a few bits.

POM
POM Audio Design
http://fairchild-recording-equipment.com/
Old 4 weeks ago
  #82
Gear Addict
 

The Drip version uses regulated power rails for the 240v, 12v, 6v heater rails with solid state components - but has retained the the tube regulator and rectifier for the HV rail going to the plates of the amplifier tubes ...and control amp?

As I said I’m no EE so I can’t explain how/why the tube rectifiers sound better / or not for the HV section. I’d love to hear someone chime in who does have experience there...?

POM isn’t exactly using all new, 1:1 replacements for the transformers though by your post above.
Using original, not remakes, but original UTC input transformers is likely going to have an impact on whatever transformer is used on the output stage. Colour in is going to be colour out. So I’m not convinced he has found the replacement for the entire signal in and out - he states himself he’s buying any of the originals UTC he can - which probably allows him to use a close, not exact, replica of the Output transformer to get the *vintage* vibe of the original units from the late 50s or 60s.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
I do think changing the power supply to Solid state will have an impact to the sound...I’m no EE but from what I’ve seen/read there is a reason some rectifier tubes are revered so much
Small impact on "feeling" but everything matters.

Also I'd dislike Sowter if I was flogging transformers too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Ok, back in topic.
A vintage Fairchild has not good noise figures.
A well maintained is - 65db, and channels are almost different in distortion and sound. Sound change from day to day.
So I would like to know how can POM says that
"you can put a 1959 FAIRCHILD 670 next to the FAIRCHILD 670mkII and it will have no sonic difference.
And the magic is.. without 12 of the 20 valves of the original circuit, with a solid state power supply, all pcb and without 5 transformers in the circuit!!

Please explain.
Dude.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #85
Gear Maniac
 

I built a drip V3 Fairchild . It has sowters and Jj 6386 in it. I doesn't sound like an old Fairchild . It is much cleaner. For my use I actually prefer having something cleaner . It is my favorite vocal compressor.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Small impact on "feeling" but everything matters.

Also I'd dislike Sowter if I was flogging transformers too.
He's not in the transformer business. FFS.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
He's not in the transformer business. FFS.
He's selling transformers in his product. Call it what you want...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Keen View Post
I built a drip V3 Fairchild . It has sowters and Jj 6386 in it. I doesn't sound like an old Fairchild . It is much cleaner. For my use I actually prefer having something cleaner . It is my favorite vocal compressor.
Sowters with tube PSU & rectifier in my Drip REDD47. Much cleaner than others I've compared it to. At first that was disappointing but I've grown to love it for what it is.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #88
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
He's selling transformers in his product. Call it what you want...



Sowters with tube PSU & rectifier in my Drip REDD47. Much cleaner than others I've compared it to. At first that was disappointing but I've grown to love it for what it is.
This is good news to me. Personally, I want my 670 to have a cleaner, ‘modern’ sound, rather than chasing a vintage tone.

I built a Drip UA175-b with a Tube rectifier and regulator, Sowter transformers throughout, Telefunken Black Diamond Tubes, sounds gorgeous at nominal levels but can be pushed hard to for a bit more edge. Great vocal comp.
chose the same lot for the Drip EQP-1, and love it also.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #89
Gear Maniac
 

I played with the UTA unfairchild and after all the time I spent building the drip I found that with the feed forward and the extra release and attack times it would have been a better value .
Old 4 weeks ago
  #90
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidlab View Post
This is good news to me. Personally, I want my 670 to have a cleaner, ‘modern’ sound, rather than chasing a vintage tone.

I built a Drip UA175-b with a Tube rectifier and regulator, Sowter transformers throughout, Telefunken Black Diamond Tubes, sounds gorgeous at nominal levels but can be pushed hard to for a bit more edge. Great vocal comp.
chose the same lot for the Drip EQP-1, and love it also.
That's the common misconception. When I first heard POM's I thought it was a bit pristine but it's the subtlety that adds up. I have at least 6 pieces on my stereo buss, at least 2 of them tube and they all carry the weight in small increments. The Fairchild does the most lifting as it has the sweetest box tone which increases with gain but it was a lot cleaner than the time machine I was expecting.
When I first put it on the Mastering thread they were horrified by how much I was leaning into it. I thought it was sounding transparent. Ha Ha.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ghostwriter / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
193
M2E / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
20
getmethough / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
11
Nrt / Gear Shoot-Outs / Sound File Comparisons / Audio Tests
23
gainreduction / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump