The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boomerang Looper Midi Control
Old 4 weeks ago
Boomerang Looper Midi Control

Before anything.. I LOVE THIS PEDAL - which is why I am here.

Something I am surprised there is not more talk about..

If there are physical midi In's & Out's on the current version of the pedal and the side car does send regular midi commands.
Is there a reason this would not be possible on the current version of the pedal?

I watched an interview with Mike (the previous genius behind the rang) and he mentioned the new buyers have midi experience and could add that feature in the future.

Also, I found this write up - praising the pedal (which it deserves) but....same thing is being pointed out. By many I imagine.

"Well, I went out on a limb and said “I *don’t* think this is a way to force you to buy the expensive Sidecar”. Turns out I was 100% wrong. The Sidecar sends out regular midi commands, but in a way that is specially scrambled to make sure it’s pretty much impossible to emulate with any commercially available Midi Controller. (The Gordius range could do it, …if you could get hold of a sidecar for experiment…and if you had pretty good programming skills..but basically they cracked it…you have to buy the sidecar).
I corresponded with proprietor Mike Nelson on this subject, and I now realise that he could have very easily been informative on this subject. I tell my self that “business decisions” sometimes have to made, but to be honest I think this was the dumbest move ever in a commercial sense. Boomerang would be way more saleable with a useable midi spec.
"

I wonder if someone could address this in a technical format to explain why it would not be possible? If it is planned for a future pedal release.
There will be thousands of original Bommerang uses & fans out there that would be very disappointed that it wasn't just implemented into the current pedal with a firmware update.

I have been in touch with the new owners of the company and am waiting to hear back.

Ta!
Old 4 weeks ago
//UPDATE\\

So I received the following responses from the Boomerang Support:

Sorry for the late response. This is a complicated question to answer. The original owners/designers were not interested in accommodating the third party MIDI controller market. The MIDI messages used with the RANG III and SIDECAR are a modified MIDI language called “System Exclusive” or “SysEx”. The new owners are very aware of the importance of MIDI control in the modern 2019 market. The reason this can not be solved with a simple firmware update is because of the hardware. The solution is for Boomerang to eventually make a new version of the Boomerang pedal with a brand new MIDI system. For now, unfortunately there’s nothing that can be done about this with the Rang III. The only controller that works with the Rang III is the Sidecar.

Hi ...., thanks for getting back to me.
So I have a couple controllers capable of sending SysEx commands. I have worked with SysEx before.
Is there any reason we can't use the SysEx commands required? Many other companies supply those in the back of manuals etc..
Thanks

Hi ......,

I just spoke to the owner on your behalf. He sends his sincere apologies but this is not something that can be provided at this time. If you have any other questions feel free to reply with them.

Sincerely,
Boomerang Support

So it seems it's not possible at the mo, unless someone here has a sidecar they can plug into their computer via a midi interface and monitor the incoming SysEx strings with a program like midiOx.. any takers?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search