The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio power amps - quiet ones.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Studio power amps - quiet ones.

I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago. I bought a auratone 5C and a QSC GX3 Power Amplifier. I needed something quick. Not even Guitar Center is what it used to be. This amp is too loud. The fan. If i could switch it off that’d be great. I don’t use it that much. It’s like a DJ or PA amp where quiet operation isn’t crucial.

So what suggestions do you folks have for a studio amp to run a pair of Auratones? Quiet.no lord thank $500-ish.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I use a Bryston 2b. Maybe overkill for Auratones but you can probably find one for around that money and you'll keep it forever.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I use a Bryston 2b. Maybe overkill for Auratones but you can probably find one for around that money and you'll keep it forever.
Quiet?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Quiet?
No fan, if that's what you mean.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
If you can return the amp for a refund, that'd be my first bet.

If you're stuck with it, you can get silent fans for £10 or less. Installation is easy, and you can take the 40-50dB fans down to around 15dB. The really quiet ones (£££) will get below 10dB.

Bear in mind that the slower fans usually move less air, so the amp will run hotter. If you're never gonna see the clip lights, it'll be fine.

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Auratone make an amp for them now-- the A2-30 (stereo 23watts/ch 8Ω). Also, Drawmer make a CPA50 (stereo 25W/ch 8Ω, 50w/ch 4Ω). Both are pretty good sounding and built with the same dimensions as the speaker if you want to sit it on top. The Drawmer is bridgeable if you want a little more power (100W 8Ω).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Sometimes I really screw myself by trying to go cheap on eBay. So I bought TWO Bryston 2b amps on eBay. It’s also a lesson on how different amps sound. I needed one to drive the auratones. The first amp I returned to Guitar Center because the fan was too loud. But I decided to replace the old Alesis that was driving my EV Sentry 100s. It kept scratching like the pots were dirty, and nothing I did cleaned them. I’m impatient too. So the Bryston for the EVs is noisy, not from the amp but the speakers. Ground noise. I’ll try and address that. And the one for the Auratone just sounds weird. I’m SURE these are great amps, but you can’t trust buying on eBay 100% of the time. I’ve been very lucky. But now, I’m not so sure. I’m thinking I should have gotten the A2 30 auratone amp and taken the Alesis in for maintenance.

As I said I’m impatient. Lol. Thanks all BTW!! I bet it’s just user error! Impatience gets me into buying errors. A lot. Lol.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Wow. Two bad Brystons. That's almost unheard of. I'm so sorry.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Wow. Two bad Brystons. That's almost unheard of. I'm so sorry.
No no! Don’t be. Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Make sure the bryston is connected directly to the wall and not to a power conditioner.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As Brent says, you've been remarkably unlucky if both the Brystons you bought are dodgy.

Power amps are items I will sometimes take a punt on on eBay, firstly because they're usually stupid cheap and secondly because decent classics from established brands are for the most part remarkably robust even when kicked around in hire-company warehouses for years.

I got both my C-Audio RA-500s on eBay for less than €100 each - one looks a bit more beaten up but it sounds exactly the same as the other one which is pretty much perfect. I think these puppies cost over €600 each when new.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago. I bought a auratone 5C and a QSC GX3 Power Amplifier. I needed something quick. Not even Guitar Center is what it used to be. This amp is too loud. The fan. If i could switch it off that’d be great. I don’t use it that much. It’s like a DJ or PA amp where quiet operation isn’t crucial.

So what suggestions do you folks have for a studio amp to run a pair of Auratones? Quiet.no lord thank $500-ish.
I use the Crown D-75a and they make no noise what so ever and they re powerful!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It might be possible to swap the fan in your amp for a quieter one.

Most of the fans are standard sized with standard voltages so a silent replacement may well be available.

ebay used to be brilliant for power amps, I've had some stonking bargains!
I bought two Parasound Zone amps for £60 in total and they turned out to be excellent amps if you can do with 45W/ch (8Ω)! Tiny but well specc'ed.

These days they tend to go for £120+ each.
Still worth it and I think a Parasound Zamp v3 would be a good match with 'tones. No fan and surprisingly they managed to fit everything one might want from an amp except balanced inputs: ground lift, adjustable gain, bridgeable and it sounds (as far as amps sound) very good. Bit heavy for its size since its a classic transistor amp.

Last edited by O.F.F.; 2 weeks ago at 04:08 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have a few Hafler TA1600s that I've had for years. Use them for lots of different stuff (Including driving the Klipsch's in my living room).

No fan, huge heat sinks, flat response, all four have been perfectly reliable. Not for concert halls, but anything else up to pretty large mains.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ADA Microfet is a SS 2 channel stereo amplifier. No fan. Silent. Rack mount.

It has the extend range specs. Dynamically 10-40,000 htz. Some of the MosFet driven are only rated 20-20k.

Used now they are cheap.

Back in the day , they were expensive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bryston 3B with big old heatsinks with my NS10's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search