The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digital vs Analogue Console
Old 4 weeks ago
  #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
According to you ??



Are you familiar with envelopes?

Then maybe don't use Avid Artist Mix. They only have 8 faders lol what it the point of that? I use a 100 tracks on average. I'm working on a song now with 500 tracks. You must do basic production. I work in large scale productions. I would need several large format control surfaces on average to mix typical song. There is nothing faster than a mouse and keyboard. I have no problem with a someone using a control surface if it impresses clients and generates more revenue, however let's be adults here, they are useless otherwise. There is nothing a control surfaces does that a DAW can't do better, faster.
Some people need to get out of the dark ages and they need to learn to harness the complete power of a DAW.



Then perhaps try harnessing more of your imagination??
After having an artist mix for a couple of years, I really miss it when I have to work without one.

Contrary to what you say, it makes me faster and once you learn a few tricks, it enhances the DAW vastly.

It’s exactly what you’re saying - harnessing the complete power of the DAW.

I’m being an adult, but I would say if you don’t think it adds anything, it doesn’t matter how many you’ve owned, you weren’t using them right. Far more than a client-magnet.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
IMO unless you have a flawless studio then the money should be spent elsewhere. I go into studios and see the room treatments are flawed, they use cheap pro-tools 192s and yet they have a $15,000 control surface. That makes little sense to me.

So if you have a perfect studio and you just love the control surface then I guess I have to agree with you. Although there is nothing a control surface can do that a DAW already can't. If it makes you feel comfortable then I guess do it. You take any advantage you can.
Most people run avid interfaces because they’re an integrated system - it’s kind of irrelevant, but 192s were not cheap when new, and the newer HDIOs hold their own. Makes perfect sense to pair either with a dcommand.

Although I’d upgrade the 192s to hdio before upgrading the dcommand to an s6 if it were my studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #63
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
...I would say if you don’t think it adds anything, it doesn’t matter how many you’ve owned, you weren’t using them right.
You're basing that on a charitable assumption. More adult than I would be.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You're basing that on a charitable assumption. More adult than I would be.
I have my moments - not many of them
Old 4 weeks ago
  #65
Lives for gear
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
192s were not cheap when new,
i priced a 192 system way back when they first came out at 32k for 32 i/o.

with all the rest of the system extras, the total came in at 40K plus.

i guess he is thinking of the value second hand now.

thats all from memory but im pretty sure the numbers are valid

Buddha
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump
Forum Jump