The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clone Gear. Is it professional?
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
On the U47 you would make a net gain, but that's an exception, many other microphones lost a large part of their value.
well don't forget to factor in the use of that item. If you bought a U47 in 1949, you got to record with your U47 for 70 years.

Making you about 90 years old, I guess
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
well don't forget to factor in the use of that item. If you bought a U47 in 1949, you got to record with your U47 for 70 years.

Making you about 90 years old, I guess
Absolutely, very good point!
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
The OP used some very unhelpful language such as “rich boys” and “unprofessional”. First off, we need to guard against making assumptions such as “this person with all that nice gear is simply rich”. I make a living recording and mixing, so I have spent a not insignificant amount of my income into gear, as an investment into my business. But I’m not rich. I live simply and don’t spend money in many other areas of my life in order to be able to save up over months and years for the gear I want to buy. Many folks with lots of gear have acquired it over decades, not all at once. It’s easy to get gear envy and the wrong idea when you’re just starting out and see folks who have been doing it for much longer.

testify, brother!
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
my overall IQ went down from reading your post- will be invoicing you for that.

look at the current price of an authentic Pultec. do you think it cost that much when it was introduced? smaller companies aren’t stealing designs even a fraction as much as legacy companies are stealing your money for something that cost relatively as much to manufacture in 2020 as it did in the mid 1900’s.

you can take a seat with that “engineers with clone hardware are wanna-be engineers” BS. let’s compare the last invoices we both cleared from studio sessions and see who’s a wanna-be engineer.

for the record: i don’t have a dog in this race- i’m 100% Apollo. it does NOT matter what you use, the only thing that matters are the results when you send off masters. use your Pultecs, use your Warms, use your Apollo. make the song good, make your client happy. for the record.
Amen brotha
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
Cloning is important in the sense that "they" show respect for classic gear by producing quality instead of bargain chinese mass production stuff a la behringer that pretend to deliver 808/909/303 for a fraction of the cost.

Take the example of the newly announced "Superlative SB-1/Space Bee" - that is how cloning should be done. All with respect to the classics quality engineering and passion for good sound.

90% of the cloners are just in for a fast buck using marketin brainwashing campaings to lure naive kizzds into the believe that they are getting the real deal for 299.--.

In the end of day all bargain consumers are going to awake to the fact that the purchase turned out to be a fail, because well...id doesnt sound right after all.

if one is willing to invest into quality engineering it shows a good level of self respect. Quality gear is going to stay with you for years while delivering a lot of joy and that gear is keeping its value which is another important point to consider.
While I do agree with your overall point in respecting the quality of the orginal gear. I REALLY don't think the 303 is a good example considering the original is a cheap plastic piece that was a total flop and lived in the bargain bin until it was discovered that if you pushed it hard it sounded cool. Most modern clones of the 303, even cheap ones have a higher build quality than the original 303.

Bdtter example might be a KT 1176 or something.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru
What I love about people who sneer at rich gear snobs, is I suspect they wouldn't flinch at spending hundreds on a new tattoo.....
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
What I love about people who sneer at rich gear snobs, is I suspect they wouldn't flinch at spending hundreds on a new tattoo.....
i understand the point you’re making, but to be fair i’ve never had a pretty girl approach me in a bar or at a show to compliment me on my UREI 1176.
Old 17th May 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
i understand the point you’re making, but to be fair i’ve never had a pretty girl approach me in a bar or at a show to compliment me on my UREI 1176.
Hah! The Warm Audio chicks are where it's at.... Nothing overdrives like a hot tube.... Stay away from the Behringer girls tho. You'll have to carry them home and then they'll sue you!
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Addict

For me, I might not be alone in this, the clear answer to the original question in post #1 is NO.
I use whatever gear needed to get the job done and these days some clones sound better than the aging originals or the new gear by the "original" trademark holders. In other cases I will use lesser gear just for the sound of it - DL4 delay over TC2290, SPX900 over Bricasti, WA1176 over UA1176AE... and the Purple MC77 gets loads of work done here.
Clones don't mean bad, the Chandler 124 compressor is phenomenal much like their Redd47, BAE1073 and HA1073 are absolute joy to use, TubeTech CL1B is my favorite vox compressor - and they all "clones".
So, for me, I might not be alone in this, the clear answer to the original question in post #1 is NO.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
For me, I might not be alone in this, the clear answer to the original question in post #1 is NO.
I use whatever gear needed to get the job done and these days some clones sound better than the aging originals or the new gear by the "original" trademark holders. In other cases I will use lesser gear just for the sound of it - DL4 delay over TC2290, SPX900 over Bricasti, WA1176 over UA1176AE... and the Purple MC77 gets loads of work done here.
Clones don't mean bad, the Chandler 124 compressor is phenomenal much like their Redd47, BAE1073 and HA1073 are absolute joy to use, TubeTech CL1B is my favorite vox compressor - and they all "clones".
So, for me, I might not be alone in this, the clear answer to the original question in post #1 is NO.
What is the CL1B a clone of?
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
Cloning is important in the sense that "they" show respect for classic gear by producing quality instead of bargain chinese mass production stuff
I feel OK with copies of classic gear that is no longer made by the original manufacturer and are trying to get the copy as close as possible to the original.

What I don'y like are those who copy (ie: rip off) designs of current products to make them cheaper in the Far East with downrated components.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

There is a saying. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

There is another saying. You can't con an honest man.

While we are on sayings. If you want clean dry oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you will settle for oats already through the horse, that's a different story..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
look at the current price of an authentic Pultec. do you think it cost that much when it was introduced? smaller companies aren’t stealing designs even a fraction as much as legacy companies are stealing your money for something that cost relatively as much to manufacture in 2020 as it did in the mid 1900’s.
Actually Pultecs were MORE expensive when they came out. They were $475 in 1956. That's around $4500 in today's money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

in my opinion; there’s a big difference between a cheap strat copy and genuine fender... you don’t have to be the most experienced to tell — however, the difference between a klarkteknik 1176 and a urei 1176 is extremely subtle and nuanced behavioural/tonal differences that require years and years of experience.

All those claiming the sonic difference between clone studio gear and legit studio gear is night and day are simply trying to show off

get a life, buy a warm audio LA2A and find yourself a girlfriend
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

. for the record.
You can buy a KIT today that's very close to the original for around $1900.00 Then you build it..
And they were not Manufactured in the 1950's in the same sense as today, one at a time & hand built..So, its not a simple thing to compare 1956 to 2019 just going by inflation...
Even the best pots used today can cost more than 30 times the cheap pots today..

Plus the Pultec passive LC eq was based on a 1940's Western Electric design...

Last edited by nosebleedaudio; 4 weeks ago at 11:43 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Island View Post
get a life, buy a warm audio LA2A and find yourself a girlfriend
More money for dinner and drinks that way....you can even upgrade you Axe body spray to a real cologne!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMST View Post
More money for dinner and drinks that way....you can even upgrade you Axe body spray to a real cologne!
You never miss with Aramis!.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search